Marvin Harrison - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Marvin Harrison

Moderator: Football Moderators

Marvin Harrison

Postby ImATexansFan » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:34 am

Want some opinions on the following

Is M. Harrison going to be like most recievers and be done soon after turning 30, or is he going to be one of the unique few that are able to keep their body in football shape and be a reliable starter into their late 30's (ah la J. Rice)?

If you could give me a reason for your awnser it would be appreciated. If your awnser is yes, how many more years do you think he has as a reliable starter?
ImATexansFan
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Postby inferno19 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:36 am

I think Harrison's a unique talent, and should have 5 or 6 years of 1000 yards ahead of him.
1335 rushing yards, 53 receptions, 441 receiving yards. 18 TDs.
Money in the bank.
inferno19
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby TheHeat24 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:39 am

Marvin will be good for at least 3 or 4 years.... He avoids punishment at all costs, once he catches the balll he goes straight down. Which personally I hate because you get no YAC out of him but it will prolong his career for sure.

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby FeArMeNtL » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:12 pm

Hey as long as he catches and falls into the endzone im fine with it. I agree 3-5 years and 80-100 average catches with 1000yard avg.
[img]http://mywebpage.netscape.com/mercerboy3/fearmesig.jpg [img]
The tandem of Chad Johnson and Rudi Johnson, plus a new defense,Marvin Lewis,Palmer=Dynasty
FeArMeNtL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby i_am_the_one » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:20 pm

I think he is over rated. This guy plays bigger than his size, but he is one big hit from being lights out. I think he is a product of manning being so great. Would jerry Rice been great with out Montanna & Younf? It is only a matter of time before defenses double team him just like Moss. Moss can beat a double coverage speed and being tall. Harrison I don't think can break double coverage as much. Also with james not being the james of 1999 That is why I think R. wayne will have a better season.
i_am_the_one
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby FeArMeNtL » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:27 pm

How will you call him overrated? The man has proven himself to be consistant and have great #'s. Overrated doubtful. He's been clearly one of the best WR so I don't understand how you can call him overrated :-/
[img]http://mywebpage.netscape.com/mercerboy3/fearmesig.jpg [img]
The tandem of Chad Johnson and Rudi Johnson, plus a new defense,Marvin Lewis,Palmer=Dynasty
FeArMeNtL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby TheBigBakedBean » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:35 pm

i_am_the_one wrote:I think he is over rated. This guy plays bigger than his size, but he is one big hit from being lights out. I think he is a product of manning being so great. Would jerry Rice been great with out Montanna & Younf? It is only a matter of time before defenses double team him just like Moss. Moss can beat a double coverage speed and being tall. Harrison I don't think can break double coverage as much. Also with james not being the james of 1999 That is why I think R. wayne will have a better season.

This is just ridiculous. Marvin Harrison is a badass. He runs his routes very well. Sure, this works out well for Manning, who is good at putting the ball exactly where it needs to be on the field. Manning doesn't force things to Marvin like CPepp does with Moss - so he doesn't need to rely on height to make the grabs. Manning puts it right where it needs to be and Harrison is just a technically solid WR. He has the field smarts to understand that positioning is more important than height. And as for your 'he's going to get double teamed sooner or later' argument...that's absurd. He's been consistently performing in the top 10 WRs in the league for some time now. You don't see him being double teamed because the Colts run plays that are designed to just get him open and down the field. His age doesn't play a part in how he is used, and he is one of the smartest WRs you'll find. And every player in the league is one big hit from being lights out - that's a risk they take for the game they play. He's no Fred Taylor - he doesn't tear an ACL without even getting hit, trying to change directions...Marvin will be a big star again this year, just wait and see.
TheBigBakedBean
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby cooleyhigh » Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:13 pm

Harrison has seen plenty double coverage over the years. Go ahead and name some WR's that lined up opposite of him. A parade of turds. He puts up machine like numbers while being the only receiving threat in Indy.

And yes I would say 3 - 4 more years of solid numbers.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby inferno19 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:18 pm

Well, while I love Harrison, there could be a small amount of legitimacy to the doubling argument. Jacksonville doubled the hell out of him last year, and R.Wayne exploded. That may or may not be a product of doubling Harrison, or it could be Manning.

But Harrison is one of the elite route runners in the league. He runs the perfect route, and avoids contact, which is what any good WR should do, IMO.

I love that play last year in the playoffs when he caught that ball in Denver, fell to the ground with it, then ran to the endzone when everyone thought the play was dead. He's smart.
1335 rushing yards, 53 receptions, 441 receiving yards. 18 TDs.
Money in the bank.
inferno19
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Bennett4prez » Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:23 pm

I would like to point out that Rice was not great because Montana and Young. Montana and Young were great because of Rice. As much as I hate to admit it, Culpepper wouldn't be half the QB he is with out Moss.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk