Mock Draft Comments - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Mock Draft Comments

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Arlo » Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:44 pm

Thanks guys - unfortunately, I have to pass the credit on to menyak, who did the layouting. Wish I could pass on the blame for "rank Wychek" too, but that was my gaffe... (Where's a hacker when you need one?) :-o

Glad you like the result!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby terpfan » Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:46 pm

Allrighty... Here's my Draft Analysis:

1.06 RB Deuce McAllister - I knew I wanted to go RB here. I REALLY wanted Portis to fall one more spot, but he didn't so I had to chose between Deuce and Alexander. I chose Deuce maybe for no reason other than I had Shaun last year and like variety. I also like his consistency. His injury history scares me a little. :-o
2.07 WR Terrell Owens - This was a no-brainer pick for me. In a league that only requires one starting RB I didn't think T.O. would last this long. One of the top two WRs.
3.06 RB Charlie Garner - He's kinda like a Tiki Barber, only he slipped alot farther in the draft. 1900 total yards and I think 12 tds last year. I love it for a third rounder!
4.07 WR Koren Robinson - Up and comer will be a top 10 WR next year, no doubt in my mind. I thought about QB here but only one guy between me and my next pick still needed a QB and there were still three out there I'd be happy with.
5.06 QB Brett Favre - He may be on the way out, but he's still great value in the 5th round. Still good for at least 25 tds and 3500 yards.
6.07 WR Rod Gardner - A bit of a homer pick, Gardner had a quietly good season last year with 1000 yards and 8 tds. He's young and still learning Spurrier's system. Look for him to improve on those totals and break the 10 td plateau this year.
7.06 QB Aaron Brooks - Wow! Aaron Brooks as a backup QB... not bad. Great trade bait if a QB on a team that lacks QB depth gets hurt. Also lets me platoon him with Favre so I have a great matchup at QB every week.
8.07 WR Chris Chambers - My sleeper. Wasn't great last year in part because of injuries. Look for him to out-do his rookie year. He's the only WR the Dolphins have.
9.06 TE Alge Crumpler - He's a top 10 tight end. Vick's best receiver. May not be spectacular, but solid this late.
10.07 DEF Washington - They lost Lewis, but the new D coord will continue to teach Lewis' system. Another season for Armstead, Trotter, Arrington, Bailey, Smoot, and Gardener to gel. They WILL be good...
11.06 RB Ladell Betts - Filling my Redskins quota... hey SOMEONE has to score!!! :-D
12.07 K Adam Vinatieri - Does this guy EVER miss? He'll have that -1 for missing a kick maybe twice a year... great for this scoring system.
13.06 RB Stacey Mack - FA this year. If he goes somewhere where he will start he will be the steal of the draft. And if JAX resigns him, theres no gaurantee Fragile Freddy will stay healthy...
14.07 WR Reggie Wayne - Didn't have a backup D, K, or TE, but there was nothing great left so I went with Wayne. He has surpassed Ismail as Manning's 2nd WR when Harrison is covered.

Whew... See I can write when I try...

Next...? ;-)
Last edited by terpfan on Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guttpuppy » Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:47 pm

I kinda like the layout,it was a serpentine draft afterall! :-)
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby menyak » Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:54 pm

Arlo! "rank Wychek" was my fumble, not your's! Mine! MINE! MINE!!! :-[

<mumble mumble always trying to steal the glory mumble mumble mumble...>
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby slowkidz » Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:57 pm

ok....first, don't mess with the guy holdin the big ol knife....

b) is it me, or does menyak act a lot like Daffy Duck in the diamond mine? hehehe
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby terpfan » Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:57 pm

haha, my bad menyak...

the official record has been changed: the fumble is now charged to menyak. B-)

kudos to whoever put that thing together... its pretty snazzy lookin' ;-D
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby menyak » Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:03 pm

My brother Daffy in the diamond mine? Wanted everything for himself, I guess! Oh yeah, that sounds like him. It's in the family, you see... :-D
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby slowkidz » Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:30 pm

LOL!! I knew it Menyak!!! I knew it!!

takin a page from Terp's book...here were my thoughts during the draft...Please keep in mind that in tribute to Dr. Seuss, I rhymed all my picks....not good rhymes, but rhymes nonetheless...

1 - Tiki Barber: 3rd from last....Man! Top 6 RBs gone...From what I saw, Tiki has dble the potential as a RB and WR. With teams focusing on Shockey, Tiki was let loose last season and I see it continuing...

2 - Jamal Lewis: Here's a great #2 back! Tough ol boy who likes to take it to the D! What a season coming back from such a tough injury. With Blake possibly taking over the lead and Heap emerging as a great threat...I see nothing but good things for Jamal.

3 - Donald Driver: Definitely need to grab a Top WR, and who better than Brett Fav-ra's favorite target!! Driver did terrific coming up as the #1 WR in GB and should do just as well again next season.

4 - L. Coles: He's done me well these last two seasons, and with Penny playing the way he is, Coles is in for another great season!! Great compliment to Driver!!!

5 - Pittsburgh Defense: Yep...the shame of my team....But hard to pass up a top 3 ranked Defense...I was hoping no one else would think of drafting a D this early, but it looks like GP and I were on the same page....Plus I thought he'd take Pitt anyways...ah well...They're still tough and will do great against the run...

6 - Steve McNair: This strategy has paid off the last two years! Waiting to draft a QB around the 5/6 Round is great! I couldn't believe Air McNair was still around....Not to mention some of the other QBs. Hard to pick which one to take, but gimme a guy who plays great injured and healthy any day of the week!!!

7 - T. J. Duckett: RBs are very slim this late in the draft...I wanted someone goal line oriented and possessed the talent to take over the lead RB job as well...Add it up and you have Duckett! (plus i had a great time rhyming his name!! ;-D )

8 - Rod Smith: Sleeper!!! I thought this was one of my best grabs!! A great WR who will have a new QB, a RB to take all the pressure of him and some good up and coming WRs around him!! As long as Denver gets a guy to throw him the rock, Rod will make things happen!!!

9 - Marc Bulger: I like this backup QB...err...starting QB...errr...whatever he is...I happened to pick him up last year while he was hot and did great for me when my other QB was injured. He should do well, and if all signs point to yes, will lead the Rams to a winning season!!

10 - Jay Fiedler: Okay... call this a major oversight!!! If I did one thing wrong, it was passing over this guy!! Fiedler got a raw deal for being injured most of last season. But now he'll be healthy and with Ricky running like he stole something, a Fantastic Sleeper pick!!!! I still can't believe I got him in the 10th round!!!!

11 - Martin Gramatica: Time to even out the rest of the team. Position scarcity at this time. I see this lil latin leaper coming up big with the FGs and Xtra Pts again!! TB started to find its offense late last season, and Chucky will have them booming by the start of the season!!

12 - Chad Lewis: Here's a great TE! I've looked for him the last two years and he's been great! Well until McNabb went down that is....but McNasty is healthy and Lewis is still a great playmaker!!

13 - Keenan McCardell: He's starting to emerge into his role opposite Keyshawn. I like this guy a lot. He's worth a spot on my bench and will be great to platoon with my other WRs.

14 - Denis Northcutt: Had to have my one Brownie pickup! Northcutt is a big play guy! He may not get the ball all the time, but when he does, he makes things happen!!

Welp that's it...I know a lil QB heavy for my tastes...but with the lack of elite RBs, that extra QB/WR combo would be great trade bait for another RB....and if u want a few of my rhymes just let me know....the only guy i almost regret not drafting is kitna....thats just because I wanted to use this: "I'll take Jon Kitna, cuz he's da shitna!" LOL....ah well....I'm better off with no Bungles anywho..... ;-) [/b]
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Slingblade » Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:16 pm

ok lets see here

1.Shaun Alexander-best Rb left so i had to take him. he should have a good year to rebound with after his bad year. and now with hasselbeck & Robinson he isnt the only threat.

2.William Green-showed good running at the last of the year should be a solid #2 back

3.Manning-4 years of consecutive 4000+yds and he has harrison to throw to. cant really ask for more. plus he kicked my @ss last year. because the person i played to get in the superbowl had him and harrison(the guy went on to win)

4.Price-took a cahnce on him hoping he would go to atlanta or philly. should be a top 10 WR. but without moulds on the other side he may not do as well. i got a gut feeling he will

5.Shipp-great back and should do well with the cards this season(my biggest sleeper)surprised i got him this late.

6. J.Porter-should be a decent back. got 9tds last season so looks like with rice and brown on the other sides this guy just plays catch with gannon

7. A.Smith-dont really know with this guy. hes just my backup so he may do good he may not. just a little cahnce with him

8.Rank Wycheck(lol)-gotta fill my titans quota

9.Kerry Collins-great qb backup if manning gets injured

10.Marc Boerighter-my other sleeper. got alot of looks from green. could be the #1 WR for the cheifs this year

11.Green Bay D-great defense. very consistent unless going agaisnt vick(lol)

12.Josh Reed-with price maybe leaving he will be the #2 guy in BUF and with bledsoe throwing to him...hell yeah

13.Ryan Longwell-consistent kicker

14.Jevon walker-another sleeper. could be the #2 guy in greenbay with taht sorry @ss terry glenn doing squat

i know go ahead and say it...i have the best team
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby JayM09 » Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:28 pm

OK Here I go:

1. Ahman Green- I had to get a bonafide number one stud at running back, so this was a no brainer. I felt this was a great start to my draft.

2. Donovan McNabb- With the elite backs gone, I didnt want to use my next pick on a second tier back, so who better to get than McNasty.

3. Corey Dillon- Although he is a bungle, I felt he was a steal in this round. He continues to produce great numbers, while playing on a losing team. Please with my trio so far.

4. Jeremy Shockey- Here was my risk pick. I took a chance by picking a tight end this early, hoping that the others would follow my lead. No one bit, I stood alone getting burned by missing out on wide recievers.

5. Curtis Conway- Missing badly on my last pick, I had to get a wide reciever with this pick, so I took the best available. I felt with brees having a year under his belt, he should produce good numbers, with conway reaping the benifits.

6. Donte Stallworth- My sleeper pick. I wanted to get a young up and coming player, and felt Donte fit that description perfectly

7. Warrick Dunn- Needed to get another running back and felt Dunn would be a great fill-in for a flex position and a third running back.

8- Troy Brown- Trying to get depth with this pick, who could also start if needed and Troy fell into my lap.

9. Saints D- With all the top D's taken, I went for one that could be a great sleeper in my opinion. Michael Lewis' return skills are plus with this pick.

10. Randy McMichael- I wanted options for my flex position, so I figured I would draft another top tightend and could move Shockey to flex to help out with my team depth. I really liked this pick.

11. Mark Brunell- Took the best available quarterback to spell McNasty on his bye week.

12. Jay Feely- Needed to fill out my team, and with Atlanta becoming an explosive offensive team, with vick leading the way, I knew Feely would get his chances to produce.

13. Terry Glenn- Slim pickens to choose from, so just looking for depthe players. I felt Glenn, if healthy, could still produce good numbers, so I took a chance with him here.

14. Jamel White- You can never have enough running backs, so I wanted to get one more with my last pick. I felt he would compliment my team well.

Overall, I really like my team. I feel I could have done better at drafting, especially with me getting left without a stud reciever. Nevertheless, I feel my team could compete with the others in this draft.
JayM09
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk