Mock Draft Comments - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Mock Draft Comments

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Arlo » Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:00 am

1.9 Marvin Harrison
Eight picks before mine, eight stud RBs off the board. Barber is probably next in line, but there are a lot of similar backs still available. Maybe, just maybe, I'll luck out on Henry or Lewis. When there's a trend, buck it (how's that for a rhyme for Duckett, Slow? :-) ). Harrison is money in the bank.

2.16 Eddie George
So much for henry or Lewis making it through. Oh well. George will do just fine here.

3.33 Tom Brady
I had wanted to wait to pick up a QB, but none of the RBs and WRs out there thrill me (I had been hoping for Dillon, but was a pick too late). Besides, the scoring favors QBs more than some leagues; a slight edge here could go a long way.

4.40 James Stewart
Both Tony Gonzalez and the Tampa Bay Defense should last, Stewart won't. Detroit could improve significantly on offense next season; Charles Rogers could open room for the running game.

5.57 Philadelphia Defense
Neither Gonzalez nor Tampa Bay lasted. Shift to plan B: grab Philly here, and Billy Miller a bit later. The Eagles Defense should come up big again and again in 2003.

6.64 Garrison Hearst
Not a bad RB for this point of the draft...

7.81 Mike Alstott
Didn't expect Billy Miller to go quite this early. Turn to plan C: Stephen Alexander looked good down the stretch and will be solid next year. With my luck, he won't last either... Alstott is another nice find. You can never have too many RBs.

8.88 Darrell Jackson
Jackson should never have lasted this long. With Robinson on the other side, he'll be very, very good. Actually, I'm not at all convinced that Robinson is the better of these two. judging from the screams and groans of the other drafters, I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

9.105 Lee Suggs
If Suggs lands a starting job (New England), he could well be the steal of the draft. I had been hoping to be able to land both Larry johnson and Suggs, but oh well.

10.112 Tai Streets
Streets was decent this year, and will improve in '03. Not a star, but a nice 3rd receiver who could turn into more.

11.129 Charles Rogers
With four picks left, I'm looking for Rogers, Harrington, Alexander and a kicker. Rogers is the top priority; rookie receivers are always very risky, but Rogers has the talent to justify the risk. He should at least make a nice second-half contribution.

12.136 Jason Elam
Many comparable kickers are out there, but there will probably be a rush very soon. Elam helps to beat the rush. Denver should score lots of points.

13.153 Stephen Alexander
Harrington's gone, but that's ok. Alexander is a huge bargain at this spot.

13.160 David Carr
Let's see, who's left at QB? Oh yeah, David Carr. Actually, that's not such a bad thing. Houston will improve, and he showed both talent and maturity last year.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby VIPER » Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:50 am

My 2 cents:
  1. Clinton Portis- Young stud r.b. that should anchor this team. Was exploding toward the end of the season!! No-Brainer here!!
  2. Fred Taylor - With over 1300 yrds. and 8 t.d.'s I figured this was a good pick! I really did not know whether to take a w.r. here or not?!
  3. Amani Toomer- I won my f.f. leauge with the help of this w.r.. He had his 200 yrd. game the week of our super bowl!! Big, strong rec. that was on fire the last half of the season!!
  4. Drew Bledsoe- Needed a q.b. in this rnd. and I think Bledsoe was the best one available. Started the season on fire but kinda cooled at the end. I think he'll have another huge year this season.
  5. Shannon Sharpe- I was really wanting Shockey but.... of course he was gone. Can't complain about getting arg. the best all- time t.e. though!! If he sticks around another year and stays healthy I willing to bet he'll have another good season also. Was virtually unstoppable when healthy!!
  6. Atlanta D.- I needed a defense and I beleive this was one of the better ones left. Sleeper d. last year could come up big again...
  7. Travis Taylor- Time for another w.r. this rnd. relly wanted C. johnson or J. Porter but both were gone so went with Taylor. Don't knowmuch about him but he and J. Blake seemed to start clicking last season so hopefully it will continue!
  8. Quincy Morgan- w.r. that seems to get the job done. Almost 1000 yrds and 7 t.d.s is better than some of the w.r.'s that were already taken.
  9. Joey Galloway- Another near 1000 yrd rec. and 6 t.d.'s. I don't think this was a bad pick at all.
  10. Trent Green- I think this was a very good pick for a back-up ;-D Almost 3700 yrd's and 26 t.d.'s is pretty awsome if u ask me!!
  11. Moe Williams- Figured it was time to try and get another r.b..... pickins real slim..... Doesn't get alot of yardage but gets all of M. Bennet's t.d.'s hehehe!!
  12. Morten Anderson- Another oldie but goodie here I think he led the leauge for a while. Missed a couple of games due to injury though. Still a good pick I think.
  13. Brian Finneran- Think this might be a bust-out year for this w.r. Vick has a full year under his belt and things are only going to get better!!
  14. Eric Johnson- Last but not least....... Was about dead from lack of sleep right about now....had to work the night before.........figure I would pick-up a back-up T.E. and I'm glad I did in case Sharpe retires.
I really enjoyed this. This was my first draft and I learned alot. I def. need to get better organized but I don't think I did that bad.
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby FootballRulez » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:15 am

Wow, you guys really drafted some competitive teams.
FootballRulez
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Arlo » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:26 am

Agreed. I was looking at the rosters to try and spot the favorites, but it's extremely tough. Most teams look like they have a solid core, and need one or two risks to work out well to rise above the pack.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fntsyrookie » Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:08 am

Arlo, Menyak congrats on the great looking draft page!! You guys don't know how much I'm kicking myself in the arse for not partaking in the draft. I'm going to make a conscious effort to be involved with the next one I guarantee.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:52 am

HEY if you notice, Arlo got stuck with Pink on the draft recap.
Go ahead and break out into your favorite Reservoir Dogs comments.

1.4 Priest Holmes. Well I can understand all the hesitancy with his off season injury, but I couldn't justify letting ol boy slip any farther. Obviously as the news unfolds...his value will become known...until then...GIMME.

2.21 Eric Moulds. I wanted to go another RB here but EJ, Garner, Dillon was left...and Moulds was still left (#3WR on my list)...

3.28 Rich Gannon. It was here that I completely abandoned my usual routine of drafting QBs late. Garcia, McNabb, and Vick were drafted prior, and I had Gannon's old bones ranked 2nd (behind McNabb). Needless to say I didn't expect to see him here.

4.45 Jerry Rice. Still alot of good WRs left but I remember drooling over the Rice/Gannon combo one of the other owners in my money league had and when that went off, it was hard to beat.

5.52 Stephen Davis. Neglecting my RB position for 3 rounds I was left with slim pickings. This guy can still produce, but I'll need some luck with a few things.

6.69 Amos Zereoue. I don't believe the bus is dead...but he's damn close. And as my 2RB/Flex spot is shaky I'll compensate it with drafting RB's 3 out of 4 rounds. Besides, we know he can produce, but if he DOES start and get 20+ carries it's a steal.

7.76 Billy Miller. The absolute LAST TE I would actually want on my Team. As Gonzo, Shockey, Sharpe, Heap and Franks went in the previous 2 rounds this was the only time I was affected by a run. I'm just glad it was on the TE position.

8.93 Larry Johnson. Trying to grab that Clinton Portis magic.

9.100 David Boston. WRs are G-O-N-E. and well...I'll burn a 9th round on quite possibly a top 10 WR. His value will settle as the offseason chugs into the spring.

10.117 Steve Smith. MISTAKE. I'm allowed one right? There's numerous things at work here which lead to this ill fated pick. We all have one guy we'd waive after the draft...this is mine.

11.124 Onterrio Smith. More Portis Magic. However this guy is MY sleeper. Particularly because I'm an University of Oregon fan and watched this guy for the last 2 years. He was better than Maurice Morris (drafted 2nd rd by Seattle last year) even 2 years ago.

12.141 Olindo Mare. Need a Kicker. Miami should put up points.

13.148 Joey Harrington. The dreaded rookie season is over and I need a back-up QB still. Welcome to the team.

14.165 Carolina Def. One pick left and I still have no team D. I think this is a steal however. I was hellbent on getting a top 5 D, and as soon as the last one was drafted I relegated myself to waiting as long as I could...
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:01 pm

Slowkidz wrote:"I'll take Jon Kitna, cuz he's da shitna!"

I actually DID laugh out loud at this.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:04 pm

Love all the analysis! ;-D

(Note to self: aww gets an awwful color next time... :-D )
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby terpfan » Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:45 pm

wow this is great stuff... i should dominate my leagues next year... ;-D
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:55 pm

its also surprising to me how solid all the teams are... maybe the league just has better depth this year? normally u dont see results like this in a 12 teamer.

my team is still the best tho! :-D ;-D
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk