why isnt this talked about? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

why isnt this talked about?

Moderator: Football Moderators

why isnt this talked about?

Postby FavreFan1998 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:26 pm

Priest lost his one of his main lineman, and his success is due to being a patient runner and using blocks and being quick to accelerate through the blocks. Unlike other backs he is not great at breaking tackles and much of his success is due to that line playing together for over two years. Am I overanalyzing and making an irrelevant point, or does this mean he is not as much of a sure thing as he is made out to be?
FavreFan1998
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guttpuppy » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:31 pm

This is definitely something to consider...O-lineman get no credit in FF...unless you're a RB from Denver. ;-)

Sorry for my KC ignorance but who is gone and who is slated to replace him???
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Turnip » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:32 pm

This could be a major factor, but I don't expect it to be. Priest is a very talented runningback and even without Tait the line is one of the best in the NFL
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guttpuppy » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:38 pm

Tait will be missed,hopefully someone will fill his spot nicely because disruption on the O-line isn't good for any of the guys behind them.

I'm not saying to drop any of their draft value but this will be interesting to watch.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby nsulham » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:58 pm

To me it's irrelevant because the guy they lost (Tait) graded out as their 5th best O-Lineman while the guy they brought in (John Welbourn) isn't exactly shoddy. Now if they had lost Willie Roaf or Will Shields I'd be a bit concerned but no worries here.
New England Patriots
The 53-man Dynasty
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:15 pm

^^I agree. This isn't like the Rams losing Orlando Pace or the Ravens using the Johnathan Ogden here. Tait isn't even the best player on his side of the line. You could make a case for him being the worst of the starting group, and even at a reach he's the 3rd best on his team's line.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Guttpuppy » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:28 pm

I don't know dick about lineman but anytime you break-up a cohesive unit that has done well,it's gonna hurt.I researched this Welbourn and although he has done well he hasn't exactly been consistent.According to KCs website,they aren't really sure what's going to happen with the "empty" spot.

That's what TC is for...
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KingGhidra » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:39 pm

Well you can never get perfect consistency over the seasons, but returning 4 out of 5 dominant lineman is pretty damn good. You have to think they know what they are doing as far as putting together a good line there too.

Excellent post nsulham. ;-D
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby nsulham » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:52 pm

KingGhidra wrote:Well you can never get perfect consistency over the seasons, but returning 4 out of 5 dominant lineman is pretty damn good. You have to think they know what they are doing as far as putting together a good line there too.

Excellent post nsulham. ;-D

Thank you kindly good sir ;-D

I just fail to see the problem. I'm not saying that anyone's panicking or anything but they lost Tait and replaced him with Welbourn. Like I said, Welbourn's not exactly chopped liver.

Of course Priest is my lone keeper in my main $$$ league so I naturally follow all things Priest closely and also have a personal bias but to me, any cohesion or chemistry issues the KC line might have should be gone by the end of training camp.
New England Patriots
The 53-man Dynasty
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby maddog60 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:56 pm

To give you an idea of how sorely Welbourne's presence will be missed in Philly:

Reid traded 1st and 2nd rounders to move up like 9 spots or so in the first round to get Shawn Andrews to replace him.

Welbourne was unhappy with his contract and had requested a trade. Rather than have issues internally the team gave him his release, got like a 5th or 4th rounder for him, and then essentially spent there first 2 draft picks in order to try and replace him.

Watching the Eagles games I've never been able to complain about Welbourne's play. He's not Pace or Odgen, but he's a starting caliber o-lineman for any team, and returning 10 of 11 starters on an offense is pretty solid (especially when one of those starters is the most dominant RB in football).
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk