why isnt this talked about? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

why isnt this talked about?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Wolverine » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:58 am

"However, one area of concern for Holmes crops up due to the departure of RT John Tait to Chicago. While Kansas City spin-doctors have called Tait the fifth-best OL on the 2003 team, don't believe the party line. The Chiefs franchised him, but couldn't afford to match the 6 year, $33.65 million contract with a $6.5 million signing bonus the Bears offered (5th-best linemen don't command $6.5 million signing bonuses and 6 year deals worth ~$33 million in the NFL, folks). The Chiefs averaged 5.8 yards per carry running to the right in 2003; 4.5 running to the left; and 3.9 going up the middle of the field. John Tait was a big part of that 5.8 yards per carry average on the right side of the field - Chris Bober is a major downgrade at RT, most observers agree."

I came across this piece and thought I would add it here. I'm not sure if there is a downgrade b/w Tait and Welbourne. Notice they reference Bober above.
Wolverine
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby cooleyhigh » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:07 am

Welbourne was a steal. Priest haters are reaching. ;-)
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:21 am

The reason Tait got overpaid is b/c teams are always willing to spend big money on solid tackles. It is one the the hardest positions to fill in the NFL. If Priest's production dips, its not b/c he lost Tait.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Holmes

Postby kvnhbbrd » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:00 am

Priest is a good runner regardless of one offensive lineman. If you are trying to tell me that 1 person on that line made that much of a difference, then why is Priest being drafted #1 in most leagues.
kvnhbbrd
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Priest

Postby Bears_Fan » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:22 pm

I got news for you folks, John Tait was thought of as both old and very weak, especailly compared to other KC o-linemen. Priest should be fine as the rest of the unit is back and and gonzo is great blocking te too. Green's #s last year will keep the box from being stacked too.
Beware of Booker with the Grossman
Bears_Fan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:30 pm

Could it be that bringing up the line is just a ploy to get Priest to drop a spot or two in the draft?I know I use this tactic with my friends all the time,and it occasionally works! ;-D ;-D ;-D
Last edited by Sixxgunn on Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Re: Priest

Postby TheHeat24 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:41 pm

Bears_Fan wrote:I got news for you folks, John Tait was thought of as both old and very weak, especailly compared to other KC o-linemen. Priest should be fine as the rest of the unit is back and and gonzo is great blocking te too. Green's #s last year will keep the box from being stacked too.

Old... Are you kidding me, Hes 29 years old thats an olineman's prime... Old compared to who

Willie Roaf- 34 years old
Will Shields- 32 (33 in september)
Casey Wiegmann- 31 years old

Every member of the KC oline except for Brian Waters is older than him.... I dont know what rock youve been under....

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:44 pm

I think that GP is right on here. It's not that if Wellborn is better than Tait, but will he be able to gel with the rest of the line. Cohesiveness in an O-line is the single most important factor in how well it performs. I trust in Vermiel & Co. to get the O-line in sync and for Priest to continue to put together un-Godly numbers.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby StickaforkinRogers » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:48 pm

After reading more posts by some of the "smarter veterans" around here I have to say that this is probably the worst collection of FFers on the web. Most of you guys are morons. I would wipe the floor with all of you. Continue............with the bs
StickaforkinRogers
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby MadScott » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:14 pm

nsulham wrote:To me it's irrelevant because the guy they lost (Tait) graded out as their 5th best O-Lineman while the guy they brought in (John Welbourn) isn't exactly shoddy. Now if they had lost Willie Roaf or Will Shields I'd be a bit concerned but no worries here.

Ditto to what you said there. At the worst it was a vertical move but more likely, Welbourn will only be an upgrade.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk