Latest on Eddie George!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Latest on Eddie George!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Latest on Eddie George!!

Postby FavreFan1998 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:04 am

Associated Press
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Eddie George, Tennessee's all-time leading rusher, rejected the Titans' latest contract offer Monday and asked the team to release him quickly so he can seek a job with a new team.

from ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1842757
FavreFan1998
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:11 am

wow....I thought he would retire a Titan

heres the actual article

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Eddie George, Tennessee's all-time leading rusher, rejected the Titans' latest contract offer Monday and asked the team to release him quickly so he can seek a job with a new team.

George and Lamont Smith, his agent, considered the Titans' offer over the weekend, but the proposal had not changed significantly from what the team initially offered in March.

"I'm not accepting it," George told The Associated Press on Monday night. "My expectation when making the decision is to be released. At that point, I'm looking at other options."

Smith said he told the Titans earlier Monday that George had rejected the offer and wanted to be released. He was told that team officials wanted to "kick it around" and get back to them.

"Eddie was clear to me -- no more discussions," Smith said. "There's nothing else to discuss."

A Titans spokesman said the team would not comment Monday night.

Owner Bud Adams said in May that he was "pessimistic" that a new deal could be reached, although general manager Floyd Reese said last week that the team remained hopeful.

"I guess in a way they are trying to point me out to be the bad guy," George said.

"I'm not being greedy. I've always tried to help this organization win. That's all I've wanted is to help this organization win and be the best I could possibly be and earn a decent living, and get paid what the market value's supposed to be."

George is under contract through 2006 and was due to make $4.25 million this season. The Titans asked him in February to rework his contract and paid him a $1 million roster bonus in March.

But the salary cap-strapped Titans, whose woes are only expected to worsen in 2005, need to clear space to sign their 13 draft picks before training camp starts July 31.

Smith said they gave the Titans a counteroffer two to three months ago that would have shaved $3 million from their salary cap, only to see team officials stick close to a proposal of approximately $1.5 million this season with less money each year through 2006.

"In essence, the deal we had on the table doesn't assure me of anything but a one-year deal," George said. "I don't plan on retiring after next year."

George attended the team's offseason minicamps as he recovered from arthroscopic surgeries on his right knee and left ankle. But NFL teams start opening camps over the next two weeks.

He has a franchise-best 10,009 yards, and he has never missed a start since the franchise drafted the 1995 Heisman Trophy winner out of Ohio State. His 112 consecutive starts are behind only Walter Payton (170) and Ricky Watters (114).

George, who turns 31 in September, spoke of Tampa Bay, Philadelphia and Dallas as potential options and said he wants to join a team with a chance of winning a Super Bowl if he leaves Tennessee.

"Change may be good," George said of playing for a different team.

"I hate to sever the ties here. My first and only option was to finish a Tennessee Titan under fair circumstances. Unfortunately, that's not how I perceive it at this point. I look to move forward in a new situation."

George, who rushed for 1,031 yards last season, said his best season came in 2000 with fullback Lorenzo Neal as his blocker. The Titans have evolved into an offense that now looks to pass first behind Steve McNair, who was named co-MVP last season after leading the NFL with a quarterback rating of 100.4.

Both George and Smith said the Titans never made upgrading the offensive line a priority in the draft, preferring to let Hall of Fame lineman Mike Munchak coach low picks into shape.

"The priority for me to be successful wasn't a high priority on their list," George said.

Releasing George would leave the Titans with second-year rusher Chris Brown, veteran Robert Holcombe and rookies Troy Fleming, Vick King and Jarrett Payton at running back.

Brown rushed for 221 yards last year, averaging 3.9 yards per carry. George averaged 3.3 yards a carry and had five touchdowns.

Smith said he used Carolina running back Stephen Davis to help gauge George's market value. Davis, like George, entered the league in 1996, and signed a five-year deal worth $15.5 million including a $2.5 million signing bonus last year.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cooleyhigh » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:29 am

And Chris Brown owners are happy once more. Now what other RB will suffer???

Sad to see it, George should have learned from Emmitt, he does not belong on another squad.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Football Newbie » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:39 am

if he goes to philly im going to scream and claw out my eyeballs... i saw big things for westbrook this year.
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Canacuna » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:48 am

Eddie George is screwed, especially if he thinks he can get Stephen Davis money.

I still don't get why he left Tennessee. He has more money than he knows what to do with. What's he saving up for? If he wanted to play for a contender, he may as well stick with Tennessee - they're definitely a contender. If he wanted some more yards to get to the 11,000 yardage plateau, he should have stayed in Tennessee - who else would give him the opportunity to start?

As of now, he's just someone who will be brought in to provide some veteran leadership on the bench - maybe tutor a young guy like Julius Jones or Brian Westbrook/Correll Buckhalter and get somewhere between 5 and 10 carries a game.

I still think he's good, but unless he doesn't mind playing for a real stinker, I don't see any opportunities for playing time. Tampa is looking like his bet - Oakland is strapped for cash - they'd really have to work some magic to bring in another washed out player.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby GMoney » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:58 am

I never really heard much of chris brown coming out of college.

Anyone have any idea what this guy can do talent wise. It looks now like hell get the opportunity, but how good is he?
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby cooleyhigh » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:12 am

GMoney wrote:I never really heard much of chris brown coming out of college.

Anyone have any idea what this guy can do talent wise. It looks now like hell get the opportunity, but how good is he?

Nice pick G you rickin-fracken-stinkin-loaded team. :-P

He was second to Bieniemy in most career stats after two years at Colorado, take that for what it's worth. From what I've heard the Titans feel he is too much of an upright runner and will take punishment and fail to break tackles. 3.9 is not that stellar in a backup role. At least equal to JJ in pure talent. My prediction is the Titans huck it around like they were in Houston again. We shall see.
Last edited by cooleyhigh on Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Canacuna » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:13 am

GMoney wrote:I never really heard much of chris brown coming out of college.

In his last year at Colorado, he rushed for 1,841 yards and 19 TDs on 303 carries. He was on pretty much every Big 12 First Team list and was Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year.

As for how he'll do, it's kind of hard to say, since he didn't receive many carries over last season (only a 3.something average, too). I watched a few games and thought he was very average - although it is hard to impress with limited opportunities. He hits his holes quicker than Eddie, he's not a track star, but he's fast enough, he's a decent blocker... he's not much of a receiver from what I could tell, he runs upright and is (from what I gather) prone to injuries.

Assuming he's the lone RB in Tennessee (I'd bet on Antowain Smith or James Stewart coming in), I'd put him as a Third Tier RB. Whether it's a RBBC or not, I'd look for the Titans to air it out next year.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby cooleyhigh » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:31 am

beat 'ya B-) great minds think alike.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby portisfan24 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:32 am

those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. taking a page out of emmitts book, what an idiot. i have to rank chris brown in the top 25 now though. maybe even top 20
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk