Chester Taylor vs Musa Smith - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chester Taylor vs Musa Smith

Moderator: Football Moderators

Chester Taylor vs Musa Smith

Postby Paladyr » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:20 am

I keep hearing from people that Musa Smith is the guy to draft to backup lewis, but all I keep reading from people within the baltimore organization is that they think chester taylor is the guy if lewis can't play:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/template ... t_id=4208&

What's the deal??? Why are people saying Musa??? Hunch???
Go Bengals!
'06 FF Champion!
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby proKrastinate » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:46 pm

bump b/c i really want some people opinions on this
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby DUKE » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:36 pm

Chester Taylor has the experience and is better at catching passes out of the backfield. He will see some third downs and the occasional spell with Jamal Lewis playing. I think that Musa will get occasional looks too, to further his experience.
If something happened to Lewis (injury or legal), I think Musa would be their choice to see more carries, as he's probably more like Lewis and better between the tackles than Taylor. Taylor would still get his share on third downs and probably spell Musa much more than he would have Lewis.
Basically, for insurrance, I'd take Musa Smith. I see Taylor as a change of pace and occasional pass-catching back with Lewis playing. Without Lewis, he would serve a similar role to Musa, yet spelling him more often.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby WhiteChocolate » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:49 pm

I think that people believe they will use Musa in Jamal's absence for one main reason. the same reason why I believe they will use him if Jamal can't play. He's a far better fit for the offense. He's the closest thing to Jamal himself, 6'0 230, he's a Jamal Lewis clone, and will fit right in. Jamal is a little bigger mind you, but at 6'0 and with 230lbs behind you, your an NFL ready back, so he can step right in and take the punishment. Not to mention he's a North South guy unlike the likely 3rd down, change of pace back Chester Taylor, whos a smaller back ala Portis (however not as nimble, and without the speed and cut back ability)

WHO LET THEM HOKIES OUT?
WhiteChocolate
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Paladyr » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:50 am

so it's safe to handcuff musa at this point??? Does anyone see the chance for Musa being too horrible to play??? I have never seen the guy play so i don't know if he's any good, but I guess being a north/south runner is more about strength than talent.
Go Bengals!
'06 FF Champion!
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DUKE » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:19 pm

Paladyr wrote:so it's safe to handcuff musa at this point??? Does anyone see the chance for Musa being too horrible to play??? I have never seen the guy play so i don't know if he's any good, but I guess being a north/south runner is more about strength than talent.

If you are set on handcuffing a backup to Lewis than I believe Musa is the guy. He looked very good in college, but he only had a handfull of carries last season, so we really don't know how he would do yet. But, if anything happened to Lewis, I think the Ravens would definitely see what they have in him and give him his opportunities to prove himself.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby moose_ffc » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:33 pm

It is very possible that Taylor gets the carries if Lewis is out, but I like Smith. I think he has the size and ability to be a good back. He wouldn't be the first UGA back to do well. Heck I don't even know where Taylor is from. talor just isn't sexy enough for me to take as Lewis' back-up.
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:26 pm

Wasn't Taylor a MAC player? Whatever, the real question to me isn't who do I handcuff with but do I handcuff? Lewis looked fully recovered and keeps himself in great shape. Would anyone else in your league choose Taylor/Smith? Do you have the bench depth? I would take Smith. Not because I think he is the better back, but because I think he is the type of back that Billick perfers.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Wolverine » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:37 pm

I think you should consider handcuffing with your last three rounds of your draft. Once people are starting to make reaches on their super sleepers, you should consider getting a handcuff for your #1 RB. It will at least give you better piece of mind in the event of disaster. Take it from the guy who failed to pickup a handcuff to Marshall Faulk last year. Some idiot in our league took Lamar Gordon in the eight round last year which was somewhat unbelievable since it was so early in the draft. I would rather take the risk in Round 8 on not having a handcuff than pass up good starter material or backups at my skill positions.
Wolverine
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby IRON CHEF » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:08 am

Wolverine has a point about waiting to draft guys like Taylor and Musa. I can't really add anything that wasn't mentioned before, I mean Smith is the perfect fit for Lewis' backup.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk