Barlow on the Brain - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Barlow on the Brain

Moderator: Football Moderators

Barlow on the Brain

Postby Mxlplyk » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:47 am

Every year I pick a new runningback that I just have a gut feeling about. You know the one. He is probably going to go in the late first-early second of my 14 man league, but he just seems to have a few negatives that hold him back. Through out the course of the following year, he proves those negatives incorrect and he has a monster year.

I like to pick players that define teams. Last year with the 2nd pick in the 2nd round I had that gut feeling, it was Jamal Lewis. When you think of the Baltimore offense, its Jamal Lewis.

This year, its Kevin Barlow. Maybe Tim Rattay will be just average enough to keep the chains moving. Maybe the WR core, while depleted of a superstar, won't overall be horrible. Maybe the line is a little better than people think, I mean KB has averaged 4.7 ypc over the last 3 years, that is pretty good. And he has averaged 9.72 ypr over that same time frame, that is better than anyone else you are going to find this year.

Does anyone want to chime in? I am just trying to convince myself to take him at the 11 as the 10th RB.
Mxlplyk
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:51 pm

Pass me some of what you're smoking :-° :-°
this will be the worst year in 49'ers history. IMO, no threats at the the WR position, means 8 iin the box blitzing DB's every down. The loose TO and have done nothing to fill the void with a credible threat.
On the other hand SF may have the biggest sleeper corps of WR's of all time (doubtful)
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Trainer of Dolphins » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:37 pm

I also think the 49ers will be tankers this year, but dont look over their WRs too much. They will be bewhind early and often so they will get some balls thrown their way IMO. As for Barlow I think he will be ok, but not spectacular. He will definitely be the feature, but no supporting cast whatsoever.
Trainer of Dolphins
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:41 pm

The only thing SFO has common with the 2003 Ravens is that they both have crap for a passing attack. The comparison ends there.

SFO completed gutted itself the past two seasons. First they got rid of Mariucci last season. This season, they got rid of the leftover coaching staff and most of the offensive talent from the Mariucci days. They have the most dead money in the league right now... something like $20M. That means they are 25% behind other teams in terms of the ability to sign and keep players.

Dennis Erickson sucks as a coach too.

The good news is, any remains of the old west coast offense that held Barlow back is now gone. Whether or not SFO has enough talent to run anything remotely decent on offense remains to be seen. I wouldn't count them out completely, but it's not an ideal situation to start in and the SFO brass has already admitted they don't expect to improve on last season's record.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby NFLknowitall » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:35 pm

KingGhidra wrote: the SFO brass has already admitted they don't expect to improve on last season's record.

I'd like to see where you read that. If someone in that organization said that then they should be fired. That is really unproductive thinking.

Anywho, Barlow will make a decent #2 RB for your FF team. He is not a #1, but a decent #2 or a real good #3. It's all about draft position value and your expectations for that position on your team. Tiering is the way to go and Barlow will be down around #12 thru #16 on most draft boards. A #2 RB for your team, that is it. Anything more than that will be gravy.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Football Talk