Faulk Rumors Just That??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Faulk Rumors Just That???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Faulk Rumors Just That???

Postby Buckychudd » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:28 pm

Rams' Marshall plan
Rams coach Mike Martz once again is planning to take an easy approach with star player Marshall Faulk when training camp opens next week, which is the smart thing to do when a high-profile running back is 31 years old.

However, the key is that Faulk is feeling better than he has in recent summers, now that doctors apparently have corrected a "cartilage flap" that has been making his right knee sore.

We haven't had Marshall 100 percent for a couple of years," Martz said Tuesday. "At times, I think he might have been 70 percent, but he still played at a high level. He's above that now."

There have been all kinds of rumors that the former MVP might be retiring, forced from the game by his knee injuries. This is hogwash, according to the Rams, who are prepared for the rumors to resurface when Faulk is virtually inactive for the first couple weeks of camp, which has been the norm.

The team did draft Oregon State's Steve Jackson in the first round, but it makes sense to prepare for the future. There will come the day when Faulk won't be able to run, but that is not the case now. Faulk had another surgery in the off-season and it seems to have corrected a nagging problem. The team believes he will be able to crank it up in late August and be ready for the season opener on Sept. 12 versus Arizona.

Without question, the Rams still need Faulk, who is ideal in Martz's sophisticated offensive system. When he was a FOX broadcaster, Lions General Manager Matt Millen called Faulk "the smartest player in the league."

Indeed, Faulk at 90 percent is better than most runners at full steam because he knows how to play; he especially knows how to get open on a passing route. Jackson should be a plus in the red-zone offense, where his physical stature can blend with Faulk's elusiveness. The bottom line is that the Rams still have high hopes for Faulk and, barring another injury, he should be ready to fly this season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2589038

Guess we won't know till we see him in action. But Czarnecki does seem a bit more reliable on these matters than Hadley.
:-/
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Faulk Rumors Just That???

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:52 pm

Buckychudd wrote:

However, the key is that Faulk is feeling better than he has in recent summers, now that doctors apparently have corrected a "cartilage flap" that has been making his right knee sore.

Is it just me, or has this scenario occured the last few offseasons for Faulk? He goes off and gets knee surgery and calls himself healthier than he's been in years.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Azrael » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:08 pm

Yeah, feel free to draft Faulk in any league I'm in. I'll spend my 2nd rounder on someone more stable.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Wolverine » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:17 pm

This is great news, someone else will draft him in the late 1st, early 2nd and let better players fall to me in the second round. Don't get me wrong, I like Faulk and respect the career he's had but his name value is what propels him up drafts these days, not his annualized fantasy production. His body has just taken too much of a pounding at this juncture in his career for him to suit up for 16 games.
Wolverine
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Buckychudd » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:30 pm

Azrael wrote:Yeah, feel free to draft Faulk in any league I'm in. I'll spend my 2nd rounder on someone more stable.

Hey in a 12 team league if I had the first pick.....I'd love to see him fall to 2.12.

You can go ahead and take Michael Bennet, Brian Westbrook, and Stephen Davis.....just don't come crying to me afterwards.
:-°
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Canacuna » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:31 pm

I hope I have an early pick in my drafts and everyone avoids him - I'd love to get Marshall at the end of the second round.

Edited to Add: Dammit, Bucky - beat me to it. Great minds think alike, I 'spose.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:49 pm

Buckychudd wrote:
Azrael wrote:Yeah, feel free to draft Faulk in any league I'm in. I'll spend my 2nd rounder on someone more stable.

Hey in a 12 team league if I had the first pick.....I'd love to see him fall to 2.12.

You can go ahead and take Michael Bennet, Brian Westbrook, and Stephen Davis.....just don't come crying to me afterwards.

Exactly my thoughts. If Faulk manages to fall into the late second or beyond I will be happy to be the sucker that drafts him. Anyone in the late 2nd round could easily bust this year, I would rather have the guy on my team with a playing history. Six consecutive seasons for 1000+yds/10+Tds is hard to argue with. If Faulk stays healthy for 14 or 15 games instead of 10 that could easily become 1500/15
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:38 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
Buckychudd wrote:

Exactly my thoughts. If Faulk manages to fall into the late second or beyond I will be happy to be the sucker that drafts him. Anyone in the late 2nd round could easily bust this year, I would rather have the guy on my team with a playing history. Six consecutive seasons for 1000+yds/10+Tds is hard to argue with. If Faulk stays healthy for 14 or 15 games instead of 10 that could easily become 1500/15

Last mock draft I was in, Faulk was taken 2.12. That retirement news is obviously making his value plummet.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk