Trading draft order picks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Trading draft order picks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trading draft order picks

Postby Wolverine » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:16 am

I'm currently entering our upcoming 12-man draft as the #5 in order, a place I can't complain about. I may be able to swap draft spots with the #1 or #2 seeds, they apparently hate these positions because of the lull between picks in the serpentine draft system.

Would it be worth it to move up to get Priest or LT just to see slimmer pickings in Round 2? Your thoughts are appreciated.
Wolverine
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Turnip » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:20 am

Do you think Priest (or LT2) is going to be the most dominant back by far this year? If you do...definitely consider the trade. If you don't think the big 2 will be that much better than Deuce/Clinton/Ahman, then don't do it.
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby IRON CHEF » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:21 am

No, the waiting time is too long for your second pick. Besides LT and Priest still have a lot of risks surrounding them and 5 is a fine spot to have.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FeArMeNtL » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:04 am

I would only do this if you really want either of them on your team. I think that Ahman, Portis, and Duece could easily get the #'s the #1 and #2 spot are going to get. You most likely will have to give up a pick for doing this so you have to think about that too if its even worth doing so. IMO I wouldn't want to be in the 1st or 2nd spot in the draft, but the 3rd spot I find to be a very good spot ;-D
[img]http://mywebpage.netscape.com/mercerboy3/fearmesig.jpg [img]
The tandem of Chad Johnson and Rudi Johnson, plus a new defense,Marvin Lewis,Palmer=Dynasty
FeArMeNtL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:51 am

i wouldnt do anything like that unless i was out of reach of the top 8 rbs.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BigMusky » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:33 am

yesterday I asked about trading my #1 pick down the #5 spot and everyone said that they cherished their number one pick. Funny how people give different answers. I was wondering if I traded down my #1 to the #5 what other pick I could get, extra 3rd, 4th etc? What would you give up to move up in the draft. I was just curious to see.

I do not like the arguement that trading down gives you a better second round pick so no extra pick should be given, remember you are getting a worse 3rd round pick also so that all balances out.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Draft trades...

Postby kvnhbbrd » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:50 am

From the beginning, your question has been should I do it. I will tell you that if you have any question about doing it don't. You will regret it when it doesn't pan out the way you wanted it to. It sounds like your not the risky type when it come to doing things like this. Don't change your strategy just because it "sounds" like it could be a good deal. If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. I hope this helps.
kvnhbbrd
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Wolverine » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:35 am

kvnhbbrd -

Actually, your synopsis of me isn't true, I'm a pretty big risk-taker in fantasy sports and have been over the past three years I've been playing. The reason I ask it on this board is that:

A) I respect the opinions on this forum. There is great football knowledge here and maturity that you don’t see on other boards.

B) I want to test the question of if there is a perceived value drop-off when you consider the 2.08 versus 2.12. When weighing getting a <b>Travis Henry</b> versus a <b>Michael Bennett</b> I’m not sure I perceive too much of a drop-off. When weighing a <b>Terrell Owens</b> versus a <b>Chad Johnson</b>, again, I’m not sure if I see much (if any) of a drop-off. However, I do perceive that Priest is in a far better situation to at least come closer to his 2003 stats than <b>Clinton Portis</b> in Washington. I do not believe that Ahman Green or Deuce McAllister will slide to me with the 5th pick.

For the person that asked, the pick order would be an even swap, I think being towards the middle of the pack helps this particular GM execute the strategy he wants to do on draft day. I, on the other hand, have never had anything higher than a 4th seed in any fantasy draft in my three years. Yet, after watching Ricky bust last year I know to be cautious and not use irrational exuberance as I contemplate my actions.
Last edited by Wolverine on Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolverine
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Okay

Postby kvnhbbrd » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:14 am

Wolverine,

Okay, I understand what you saying, The drop off of player ability is what is in question here. In my opinion I would much rather have the 5th overall than the first. If you look at most mock drafts the first pick has really gotten the short end of the stick. If you don't believe me take a look for yourself. Mock drafts are just that, mocks, but the information they contain is very valuable.

Do what you want but, like I said earlier, in my opinion I would stay with the 5th overall for a better overall team not just "a" superstar.
kvnhbbrd
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk