Special Teams Players! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Special Teams Players!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Special Teams Players!

Postby caneblood » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:17 am

My league is very unique. We award as many points for kick/punt return yards/TD's as we do for rushing/receiving yards/TD's. Most of the guys hate it, but we've been doing it for years and they won't ever change the rules. Makes the league different. Anyway I'm curious if anyone knows where to find info on who is expected to return kicks/punts for each team?

Last year I blew up with Westbrook because I got all of his rushing/receiving/kickoff return/punt return yards/TD's.
caneblood
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canacuna » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:24 am

Eh, I'm not a fan of giving pointage for return yardage, but whatever...

On Yahoo!, if you check the depth charts, under Special Teams will give you the KR and PR for every team.

Here's Kansas City's: Kansas City Depth Chart
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby YunYaamka » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:22 am

My league actually gives more value to special teams players. It's 15 rushing/receiving yards per point and 7 points for rushing/receiving TDs, but only 10 return yards per point and 10 points per return touchdown.

Some players off the top of my head who are likely to both receive and return are Cedrick Wilson, Rod Smith, Andre Davis, Steve Smith, Michael Lewis and Bethel Johnson.
"Everybody has their sanctuary. Catholics have church, fat people have Wisconsin, and I have beer." - Peter Griffin
YunYaamka
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:01 am

No one has written off Santana Moss from his special team duties yet. If I were Herm Edwards (as cool as it would be for one day), I think I'd take off my emerging #1 WR off of the punt returns this year to avoid a Jason Sehorn-like incident. He was still returning punts even at the end of the season last year.

Obviously Dante Hall is another person to think about. He's an electric kick/punt returner, and the Chiefs did get him into the offense a little bit last year. He had a 100+ receiving yard garbage time performance at the end of last year.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby caneblood » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:04 pm

Thanks guys,
Much appreciated. If at any point during the preseason or season, if you think of a good up and coming return guy or a RB/WR like B. Westbrook who will get to also do special teams, please come back to this thread and add their names.

I've been considering Dante Hall. My worry is that after his explosive start last year, teams started kicking away from him and his numbers dropped off considerably.

Crossing my finhers and hoping Westbrook continues returning kicks/punts. I know it's not likely but if I were the coach I would do it. His returns made the difference in a couple of games last year. Do you risk injury to add 2 wins (in my opinion yes).
caneblood
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby caneblood » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:21 pm

Just looked at Yahoo, they don't have any stats for TD's from returns and don't have return stats for RB's.

Any suggestions?
caneblood
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:36 pm

caneblood wrote:Thanks guys,
Much appreciated. If at any point during the preseason or season, if you think of a good up and coming return guy or a RB/WR like B. Westbrook who will get to also do special teams, please come back to this thread and add their names.

I've been considering Dante Hall. My worry is that after his explosive start last year, teams started kicking away from him and his numbers dropped off considerably.

Crossing my finhers and hoping Westbrook continues returning kicks/punts. I know it's not likely but if I were the coach I would do it. His returns made the difference in a couple of games last year. Do you risk injury to add 2 wins (in my opinion yes).

they have taken him off return duties so he can concentrate more on carrying more of the offensive load. Read the latest news report on Westbrook from the Yahoo link.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Football Talk