C.Dillon Vs R.Johnson

T.Henry Vs S.Davis

Who would you rather have and why??
Smizzy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby cooleyhigh » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:47 am

Stallworth - He can play football unlike the Rainbow Warrior. Yes he gets hurt but at least he has skills.

McCairens - Pennington... 'nuff said

J. Jones - Boys won't be losing every game.

Moss - See McCairens explanation

Mason - an always underated receiver without a penchant for drops

Ward - another less than glamorous pick without the deadly bungles schedule

Chambers - Plastico is a head case

Staley - George is homeless

Duece - the ability to catch the ball and he is the focus of the O, unlike Holmgren's west coast stuff.

Dillon - Plays for a winner and see Ward explanation

Henry - McGahee is not yet at Fosters experience level.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:00 am

Stallworth for sure...denvers offense is too scary
McCariens...comes down to penny or a mix of collins and gannon
Kevin Jones...just never a fan of JJ
Santana...a common bust target, i think he will post great #'s
DJax...seattles offense could be the best in the legue this year
Ward...defenses will have to pay more attention to the run
Burress...he'll post eric moulds like comeback numbers
Staley..no idea what george is up to
Deuce...even though i said seattles offense will be great, deuce is just way more consistent
Henry..hes got something to prove

edit- I missed dillon and rudi. Id take dillon, hes got the experience and hes also got something to prove
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:26 am

I must have be using the word "star" wrong because a lot of these guys are pretty average... Movin' on...

Ashley Lelie v. Donte Stallworth
Stallworth amazingly found a way to injure his hammy when Lelie illegally piledrived him onto the mat (his neck was peachy, though). Lelie took full advantage and used a figure four lock on him for the victory via tap-out.
WINNER: Lelie

I haven't watched wrasslin' in a while - is that right?

Anyway... I'm not a fan of Donte Stallworth at all. He'll injure his hammy while napping. He's a speedy d00d, but I have absolutely no confidence in him whatsoever. You can't gain the fantasy pointage if you're on the sideline nursin' something. I wouldn't be surprised if he finds his way buried on New Orleans depth chart behind Joe Horn, Jerome Pathon, and Devery Henderson. Even if he does pan out, I'm almost as scared of New Orleans potential for a pathetic offense as I am with Denver's.

Ashley Lelie started looking decent before Jake Plummer went down. I still think that Rod Smith is the man in Denver, but Lelie could be someone to watch out for. I'm still going to avoid Denver's entire offense, though - it's just not lookin' good, methinks.

Justin McCareins v. Jerry Porter
I'd rather have McCareins, but 99.9% of the time, someone will have already grabbed him before I think he's due to be picked (like David Boston or Kevan Barlow). I think he has just a good a shot at being the #1 WR in New York as Santana Moss does. They're both big play guys. S. Moss was shut down when defenses started focusing on him towards the end of last season - they'll have to leave someone open this year, and whoever that is will be the beneficiary of some nice fantasy pointage.

If the Oakland offense can get their stuff together, Jerry Porter could turn out to be the steal of a lot of drafts. He goes fairly late, so acquiring him shouldn't be a problem if you're determined to do so. I just don't like the Raiders offense, though - he has the potential to be a top 15 WR, but I wouldn't bet on him, or worse yet, draft him based on that.

Either way, I wouldn't want either as anything more than a backup - MAYBE a #3 WR if I'm looking rather studly at other positions.

Kevin Jones v. Julius Jones
Kevin Jones is in an offense that has potential to be a good one - in 2005. Next year, I'm expecting them to be about the same as last - a fantasy wasteland. The Lions have been near the bottom of the league in rushing for years now and I don't think that K. Jones is the answer. Plus, with Artose Pinner being a fairly quality RB, I'm thinkin' it's going to be a RBBC in Detroit.

Julius Jones has far more potential in '04, methinks. He was very underrated in college - he put up some very nice numbers with a supporting cast that's comparable to my high school football team. He has the talent to be an NFL RB, methinks. He also has no competition for the job - unless you think Aveion Cason has been wasted the last few years. Even if Eddie George is brought in - unless Julius really disappoints - I can't see him being much more than a veteran mentor to Julius and taking only a few carries. I don't like predicting stats for rookies, but if Troy Hambrick could put up 972 rushing yards and 5 TDs, Julius SHOULD be able to top that.

Steve Smith v. Santana Moss
The only Moss I want on my team is named Randy. I wouldn't mind having Santana on my team, but with where he's going in most drafts - I don't feel comfortable drafting him that early. Like I mentioned with Justin McCareins, Santana just disappeared when defenses started focusing on him - I think either Santana or McCareins could be the #1 and I don't want to spend an early round pick on a questionable guy like Santana.

Steve Smith is another guy I'd be a little worried about, but I like him nonetheless. He is the Panthers receiving game and I think he'll do fine. He performed well since he emerged and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon.

Darrell Jackson v. Derrick Mason
Last year was odd for D-Jax because of all of the drop balls that came from him, but if I remember correctly, D-Jax had always been Seattle's most reliable receiver before that. Either way, I'll go with Derrick Mason. He's been a proven quality #1 WR for a few years now - I'd be getting a little desperate for WR help if D-Jax were my #1 - although he does have good value in the fifth round or so.

Hines Ward v. Chad Johnson
Hines Ward is one of the more consistant WRs (heh - I used "consistant" and "WR" in the same sentence) available. Chad Johnson did great last year, but with Carson Palmer behind center, I just don't know what to expect from him. Especially after reading KingGhidra's awesome post, eloquently titled, Chad Johnson Stuff, it made me even more skeptical. C. Johnson is definitely a stud, but I'll hold off on him this year.

Plaxico Burress v. Chris Chambers
Ugh. The Canacuna is not a fan of either. 'Cuna would rather have Chambers if he absolutely had to take one of 'em, though.

Duce Staley v. Eddie George
Well, Duce is already on a team and no one knows where Eddie is headin'. SCORE: Duce 1, Eddie 0. Duce has pretty much no competition. Eddie will likely have competition wherever he winds up - assuming anyone wants him. SCORE: Duce 2, Eddie 0. Duce has potential to put up a thousand + yards. Depending on the situation, Eddie might be fortunate to get 500 yards. SCORE: Duce 3, Eddie 0.

...That's getting boring. Duce Staley, hands down - no debate necessary.

Shaun Alexander v. Deuce McAllister
Alexander done nothing but put up good numbers since replacing Ricky Watters a few years ago. He missed 60 yards only four times last year, but three of those four he managed to score a TD to compensate for the loss of yardage numbers. I averaged last seasons numbers based on the scoring my league used (1 point per 20 yards rushing/receiving) and Shaun Alexander averaged 10.2 points per week and Deuce McAllister averaged 7.2. The last three years, Alexander has scored 44 TDs (14,16,14). Aside from his rookie year as a bench warmer under Ricky Watters (313 yards, 2 TDs), Shaun Alexander is a scoring stud.

I don't watch the Saints much, but when I have, I came away unimpressed with their offense as a whole. I think Shaun will have more opportunities to score some fantasy pointage.

Both will have plenty of yardage, but in fantasy football, TDs are king – and Shaun Alexander is second only to Priest Holmes in TD totals the last couple years, methinks.

Corey Dillon v. Rudi Johnson
I’m not a fan of Rudi Johnson, so this one if fairly simple for me. He just looked … err, I dunno – I just wasn’t impressed when I watched him play – he just seems kind of average to me. Corey Dillon on the other hand, is a great RB and if he could (and he should) get rid of his bad attitude, I can see him putting up some very nice numbers in New England. He could be 2005’s version of Stephen Davis.

Travis Henry v. Stephen Davis
…and speaking of Stephen Davis…

This one pretty much depends who you think will have more of an impact in 2004 – Willis McGahee or DeShaun Foster. I’m more of a believer in the awe-inspiring talents of the awesome DeShaun Foster than I am of the crippled Willis McGahee, so I’m all about Travis Henry on this one.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby CC » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:18 am

Stallworth - He has the skills and is in a much more WR-friendly offence. I am fairly high on him this year and I think if he plays like he can he can become a nice number 2 WR on your fantasy team.

Porter - I don't like either of these guys much, but Porter could put up decent numbers with some stability at QB.

Kevin Jones - As I've stated before JUlius Jones will not be a good back this year, he has problems with injuries and holding onto the ball and at 5-10 210 lbs he might not be able to handle the workload Parcells will give him, the topper is he never caught more than 10 passes in a season at Notre Dame. KJ on the other hand is an elite prospect that slipped through the cracks and could post a very nice rookie season. If any rookie RB breaks 1000 yards this year, it will be him.

Santana Moss - They have similar skill-sets and I like Pennington more than Delhomme. I'll take Moss by a nose.

Mason - He's consistent from year to year and you just don't get that from D-Jax.

Hines Ward - One of the best WRs in the game, and although I like Chad Johnson, I'm going to have to see how he adjusts to Carson Palmer before I put him above Hines on my cheat sheet.

Draw - I am fairly high on both of these guys and I feel they are in very similar situations. Top shelf talent, solid WR opposite them, shaky QB, contract years. The list goes on, if I had to pick between them I would flip a coin.

Duce - No explanation necessary.

Deuce - I am not high on Alexander at all and I am pretty high on Deuce, Deuce will get the yards and the TDs will come this year. Alexander will get the TDs but the yards might not.

Dillon - Not a big Rudi fan and Dillon could have a very respectable year as a number 2 back, could be a late 2nd/ early 3rd steal.

Travis Henry - I am targetting him as my number 2 back and I won't touch Stephen Davis until the 4th round (at the earliest). McGahee won't cut into Henry's value much and Foster could take a huge chunk of Davis' away.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Battle of the Stars!!!!

Postby maddog60 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:13 am

A.Lelie Vs D.Stallworth

Neither, I think they're both going to be busts. However, I'd take Stallworth if I had to, because he's shown a bigger upside when he has played.

J.McCareins Vs J.Porter

Porter. He's taking over as the #1 WR on that offense, and the coach wants to go vertical with the passing game.

K.Jones Vs J.Jones

JJ. He's got a starting featured RB role locked up and no one to compete with him. K. Jones is a mystery still.

S.Smith Vs Santana Moss

Close, but I got to go with Moss. He's got a better passing game due to a better QB.

DJax Vs D.Mason

This isn't even close, Mason just that much better.

H.Ward Vs C.Johnson

Ward for this season, but CJ for the future. Palmer is going to struggle early and it'll hurt CJ this year, however next year he should bounce right back while Hines ages.

P.Burress Vs C.Chambers

Chambers. He's underrated and the #1 WR in Miami. Burress is the #2 on his team.

D.Staley Vs E.George

?!? This is probably the most lopsided. Duce will start and fit into the steelers offense perfectly. Bettis is done, and all but retired (give him another year to mull it over). George may not have work this year.

S.Alexander vs D.McAllister

I'd flip a coin.

C.Dillon Vs R.Johnson

I see Rudi as having more upswing, but Dillon as a safer pick. Really depends on who my 1st round pick was and their risk factor, but I'm leaning towards Dillon slightly.

T.Henry Vs S.Davis

No question, Henry. Davis will be lucky to make top 20 RBs this year, Henry is going to be top 15.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby steelerfan04 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:18 am

Stallworth vs. Lelie

It's close, but I'll take Stallworth. He has already proved himself with a good rookie season. Lelie has more potential, but he has yet to perform up to the level everyone expects him to.

McCareins vs. Porter

McCareins easily wins this one. He had a good season last year with the Titans even though he lost some receptions to Bennett and Calico. Now that defenses will be keying in on Moss, Pennington will throw more and more to McCareins. Also, Porter doesn't exactly have a good QB in Rich Gannon.

Kevin Jones vs. Julius Jones

Kevin has a slight edge here. He is considered by most everyone the best outside runner taken in the draft. In Detroit, Kevin has a lot of other talent surrounding him -- Harrington, Roy Williams, Rogers -- while all Dallas has is, gulp, Quincy Carter. The Lions also have a better O-line.

Santana Moss vs. Steve Smith

Smith gets my vote. While Moss has slightly better 2003 stats, catching 10 TDs to Smith's 7, he flopped when defenses keyed in on him and failed to catch a TD pass the final 5 games. Jake Delhomme will be even better this year, leading me to believe that Smith has another good season in him.

Jackson vs. Mason

Its close, but Mason has a slight edge. Koren Robinson should bounce back this season and will draw attention and receptions away from Jackson, who could even be demoted to #2 WR. Mason is more consistent and is a clear cut #1.

Hines Ward vs. Chad Johnson

Johnson has much more potential, and in years to come will easily be as good and probably better than Ward, but not this year. Palmer is taking over at QB and while I have no doubts he will do succeed in the long rub, it will take some time. No way Maddox can be as bad as he was last year. Ward is due for another big season, as usual.

Chambers vs. Burress

AJ Feely, former 3rd stringer for the Eagles, is now Miami's starting QB. Kind of scary, isn't it? The addition of David Boston will definetly hinder Chambers's value. Burress is due for a bounce back season. He reported to camp the other day and is apparently in phenominal shape.

Staley vs. George

George doesn't even have a team and if anyone is dumb enough to sign him, he will probably lose the starting job. Staley is younger and should have a good season. George may not have a season at all.

Alexander vs. McAllister

Only one other person hsa more TDs the past three years than Alexander, and thats Priest Holmes. Sure, Deuce gets 300+ more yards than Alexander, but 8 TDs vs. 16 TDs should say it all. Seattle has a top 5 O-line, as well.

Rudi Johnson vs. Corey Dillon

Why is everyone ranking Dillon so low? Isn't this the guy who for a while had the record for most yards in a game? Sure he had an off season, but he is bound to bounce back with a team like the Pats. Johnson has yet to prove himself and has a much tougher schedule to deal with.

Travis Henry vs. Stephen Davis

Definetly Henry. He played last year with a broken leg and torn rib cartilage and still managed 1356 yards and 11 TDs. Imagine what he can do when healthy. He is also younger than Davis.
steelerfan04
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:42 am

I agree with Canacuna (and mostly with his reasons as well) on every one except the Santana Moss v. Steve Smith.

I like both of them a lot - but a full year with Penny means Moss will put up stud-like numbers. If your league gives bonus points for long TDs, he is especially valuable.

Smith has the same attributes but his QB is not as good and I do not think that Moss will be returning kicks this year while Smith may still have special teams duties.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Smizzy » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:31 pm

Bump
Smizzy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby TheHeat24 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:47 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Stallworth - He has the skills and is in a much more WR-friendly offence. I am fairly high on him this year and I think if he plays like he can he can become a nice number 2 WR on your fantasy team.

Porter - I don't like either of these guys much, but Porter could put up decent numbers with some stability at QB.

Kevin Jones - As I've stated before JUlius Jones will not be a good back this year, he has problems with injuries and holding onto the ball and at 5-10 210 lbs he might not be able to handle the workload Parcells will give him, the topper is he never caught more than 10 passes in a season at Notre Dame. KJ on the other hand is an elite prospect that slipped through the cracks and could post a very nice rookie season. If any rookie RB breaks 1000 yards this year, it will be him.

Santana Moss - They have similar skill-sets and I like Pennington more than Delhomme. I'll take Moss by a nose.

Mason - He's consistent from year to year and you just don't get that from D-Jax.

Hines Ward - One of the best WRs in the game, and although I like Chad Johnson, I'm going to have to see how he adjusts to Carson Palmer before I put him above Hines on my cheat sheet.

Draw - I am fairly high on both of these guys and I feel they are in very similar situations. Top shelf talent, solid WR opposite them, shaky QB, contract years. The list goes on, if I had to pick between them I would flip a coin.

Duce - No explanation necessary.

Deuce - I am not high on Alexander at all and I am pretty high on Deuce, Deuce will get the yards and the TDs will come this year. Alexander will get the TDs but the yards might not.

Dillon - Not a big Rudi fan and Dillon could have a very respectable year as a number 2 back, could be a late 2nd/ early 3rd steal.

Travis Henry - I am targetting him as my number 2 back and I won't touch Stephen Davis until the 4th round (at the earliest). McGahee won't cut into Henry's value much and Foster could take a huge chunk of Davis' away.

I agree with all of those except Id take Rudi johnson over Corey Dillion becasue I know the will rely on him heavily with Palmer at Qb... the same cannot be said for Dillon.

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk