Where to take Moss? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Where to take Moss?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:08 pm

To answer your original question, I'd swap Edge and Ricky in your original rankings and put Moss in between them.

What helps me make decisions like this is to do a mini-mock. You are keeping Holmes, which will probably lead you to go one of two ways: 1) RB then WR or 2) WR then RB. Figure out a group of likely players available in both scenarios.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Xtreme » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:49 pm

Homeless wrote:How many in your elague ?

Do you think moss will make it to the end of rnd 1 when you have one keeper ? if he does take him, I presume you then have the first pick of the 2nd round, so you can take another RB then. Depending on how many in your league, I dont think Moss will be there at the end of the first, which is really the end of the 2nd round without the keepers.

All assuming ive understood you correctly.

Okay, let me explain our draft for a second. There's logic behind our draft order, but let me just give my picks. It's a 10 team league, let's say that I'm taking Priest with my first pick in the first round. (It's the keeper round, for those who aren't keeping, but I'm keeping Priest) Then, the snake format starts in the second. I have the first pick in the second round (which is the one I'm debating on taking Moss with) but then I don't pick again until the end of the third round, when I get back-to-back picks. So, I guess the better question is, if I take Moss with my second pick, what caliber of RB can I expect with my third pick (30th overall)?
HIR? viewtopic.php?t=507654#p3396000

Beware the Buffalion!
Xtreme
Head Coach
Head Coach

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Manja » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:59 pm

That post you just made didn't explain anything very well. Anyhow...

Take Moss with the 10th (assuming that he falls to you), and then pick your running back with the 11th. What caliber running back would you expect to fall to you at the end of the fourth? (the end of the third is more like the end of the fourth, since of the single keeper.)
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby IRON CHEF » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:46 pm

Moss is best taken at the 10 spot, after the top 9. After that things become more dicey and Moss will put up better numbers than any backs after him.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:59 pm

Make a list of every RB being taken in the first round that you think has a reasonable chance of finishing top 5. That is, if he finished top 5 you wouldn't be completely surprised.

Holmes, Green, LT2, Portis and SA all have multiple top 5 finishes so they are in.

Deuce has been knocking on the door for two seasons so he's in.

Jamal Lewis was top 5 last year and last I heard the case might be pushed forward to February. He's in.

That's minimum 7 guys who wouldn't surprise you very much if they finished top 5.

That leaves you with...

Williams, Edge, Taylor, Faulk.

If you have pick 8 or later in a 12 team league, take one of those last four if you think they have a decent chance at top 5. If you answer that question with "none of the above" take Moss or Harrison.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Shockers » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:03 am

what caliber rb are you looking at?

if you are lucky... dillon, garner (1900 total yds last time he was with gruden), barber, michael bennett.

more realistically, you are looking at - julius jones, kevin jones, westbrook, dunn. you may want to keep an eye where eddie george ends up.
Shockers
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby jeru » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:48 am

It really depends on the scoring system. If you count pt/reception or start 3+ WR, I can see Moss being taken as high as #5 (after the 4 sure thing backs, Priest, LT, Deuce, Ahman) are off the board. He definitely should be taken by 7 or 8 in that type of setup.

In a 2 WR league that doesn't count pt/reception, I would probably take all 9 of the top RBs ahead of him just because of positional scarcity. In fact, I might consider pushing Barlow ahead of him in that format and take him at 11. If you just start 2 WRs, there are just too many value picks and sleepers to take a WR in the first round.
jeru
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Besaid_Aurochs » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:53 pm

Pick Moss over Ricky and Edge. Moss is incredible and got crapped on cause the replacement for culpepper was terrible. If culpepper is healthy, Moss is def. better than Ricky and Edge (fantasywise), and maybe even Faulk (Assuming Faulk breaks his... something like he does every season)

Oh yeah and Holmes will get injured so dont pick him.
Besaid_Aurochs
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Xtreme » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:23 pm

I'm not picking him, he's my keeper. Would you suggest not keeping him? I think I'll risk the injury.

I think Moss will be available because everyone that hasn't drafted a RB in the first round in previous years has done poorly, so now they are a little more paranoid. Plus, we start three WR, so having a sure-fire starter at the position would be very beneficial. Thanks for the opinions.
HIR? viewtopic.php?t=507654#p3396000

Beware the Buffalion!
Xtreme
Head Coach
Head Coach

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Besaid_Aurochs » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:30 am

Definately keep Holmes in a keeper league. But you might want to draft another RB just in case.
Besaid_Aurochs
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk