rb
rb
wr
wr
rb/wr
te
k
d

this year, instead of the rb/wr slot it is just going to be wr.

i have always drafted rb heavy, and it has served me well- champion the first year and runner-up year 2 in a 12 team league.

do you guys think the draft focus needs to change substantially with a 3:2 wr to rb ratio? especially considering that there is such a drop off after the first couple of wr's.
gravyfries
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BGbootha » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:11 pm

Yes, but within reason. The first couple of picks i would still like to go RB - RB, unless you are looking at a top 3-4 WR's. and a Top 5-6 RB. THen i would be tempted to take a WR.

I would still make sure that i get 2 RB"s and a WR with my first 3 picks.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby roninmedia » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:17 pm

You can still go 3 rbs in the new settings. But don't keep taking rbs if a top wr or top qb falls. Otherwise, qbs and wrs are deep.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moose_ffc » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:29 pm

I would lean toward 2RBs in your first 3 picks. If you can let the RB slide until your 3rd pick, that might bve a good option so that you can nab a good WR. However, if you have two good RBs available at your first two picks ... TAKE THEM. The difference is that you will want to take WRs a little earlier than you did in years past. With 3WR must start, you have to increase the value of some of the WRs.
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: Relative beginner question

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:02 pm

gravyfries wrote:okay, this is my third year, so this may sound stupid, but here goes:

last two years we had:

qb
rb
rb
wr
wr
rb/wr
te
k
d

this year, instead of the rb/wr slot it is just going to be wr.

i have always drafted rb heavy, and it has served me well- champion the first year and runner-up year 2 in a 12 team league.

do you guys think the draft focus needs to change substantially with a 3:2 wr to rb ratio? especially considering that there is such a drop off after the first couple of wr's.

You still start 2 backs correct?If that's the case,then you should definitely go the 2 best backs available route,depending on your league size.If you get into the 14 team area,it might be smart to take a top back and a top receiver.Then maybe a Gonzo?Look for that sleeper back later,perhaps a J Jones or maybe even T Jones.Hope this helps! ;-D
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

Postby houstonherdfan » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:13 pm

moose wrote:I would lean toward 2RBs in your first 3 picks. If you can let the RB slide until your 3rd pick, that might bve a good option so that you can nab a good WR. However, if you have two good RBs available at your first two picks ... TAKE THEM. The difference is that you will want to take WRs a little earlier than you did in years past. With 3WR must start, you have to increase the value of some of the WRs.

I drafted 6th in a 10 team league got Duece in 1st and Harrison in 2nd and was still able to get a decent #2 rb M. Bennett in round 3
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:30 pm

Most leagues out there start 2rb/3wr, so most rankings you see take this into account, and are still RB heavy.

I would still make sure you get 2 RB's out of the first 3 rounds, but while you will still want to have a good #3 rb, only having 2 rb's after 5 or 6 rounds is ok.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:23 pm

gravyfries - I think your on to something. I would definitely grab that top RB in the 1st - but after that I might even go 2 WRs because there is a lot of value in RBs falling into the 3rd rd or later. There arent too many #2 RBs that dont have huge questionmarks coming into the season - it might be a smarter move to go WR a little more than in yrs past.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Football Talk