Should I drop Quincy Carter or will he get better? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Should I drop Quincy Carter or will he get better?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Should I drop Quincy Carter or will he get better?

Postby joe_montana » Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:11 pm

He played terrible in the game against the Texans, and he is my backup QB but I am not sure I want to get rid of him if he might get better. What should I do?
joe_montana
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby n_tremain23 » Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:21 pm

His upside is huge this year.I realize he didn't play a great game against the Texans,but I can almost gurantee he will get better as the season wears on.He is a quality backup QB.But,it depends on who you can get.Tell me who you can get for Carter,then i'll let you know if it's a wise choice to get rid of him.But otherwise,Carter's upside should keep him on your team.
n_tremain23

Postby joe_montana » Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:59 pm

There is nothing but garbage to pick up, so I will keep him. Thanks for the help.
joe_montana
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Skiggs » Tue Sep 10, 2002 4:36 am

i say get rid of his ass and jump into the free agent pool....His Coach is losing faith in him in my opinion...Try and pick up someone like Trent Green or Jay Fiedler or Rich Gannon or Shane Matthews..im sure one of these guys is still available...
Skiggs
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Dump him!

Postby DraftDodger » Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:32 pm

You may not see any decent QBs among your free agents, but if not that means that there are other good players, probably WRs. If people have Shane Matthews and Drew Brees all ready, they can't also be holding onto guys like Deion Branch. SOMEBODY has to be out there ... there aren't enough roster spots in most leagues to hold all of the good players and the potential sleepers.

Quincy's receivers will benefit greatly from his performances some weeks, but he is probably going to get intercepted and sacked alot. I say dump him and pick up at the best possible free agent at ANY position, then put together a trade for a better QB. There HAS to be some good players out there, and even if you're in a league like nfl.com where you select by waiver rankings, you should still be able to get some player who has nice fantasy points and potential. In one of my leagues I grabbed Fiedler out of the free agent pool even though I all ready had Vick and Brady. You may find Quincy Morgan in your free agent pool. Whatever, just get someone who put up big numbers this week (doesn't matter if you think they will continue to, cause you're going to keep them) and offer trades.

Some advice here: Multi-player trades are more difficult to analyze and often more tempting. I don't believe in trying to rip anybody off, though. In fact, when I trade, I usually offer some pretty sweet deals. People doing well in your league will be much more difficult to trade with then people who are doing poorly, and you can upgrade a poor team without even making them a threat to you.

If you drafted well, and snagged the right free agents, you should have extra depth on your bench which can be used as tradebait. A guy like Deion Branch is a free agent in most leagues but he out-performed alot of #1 WRs this week. If you are all ready deep at WR, snag Branch and trade him to someone who has depth at Qb but who is hurting at WR. The players change from league to league but the principle is the same. Snag some high performance free agents and trade them for position upgrades.

Keep in mind that some positions are more tradeable than others. It's easier to trade a good RB than just about anyone else, whereas kickers and TEs may be very difficult to trade. In leagues that do or may start 3 WRs, Deion Branch alone may be worth a solid #2 QB, but as I said earlier, try to offer multi-player deals. Brady is STILL being called a #2 fantasy QB <boggle> so maybe someone in your league would trade you Brady in order to fill some holes.

Good luck.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby joe_montana » Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:13 am

Thanks for the help. I picked up Mathews, but I droped my second kicker instead. I will look for a good free agent and get rid of Quincy now that I have a capable backup QB.
joe_montana
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Football Talk