Qbs 3-10 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Qbs 3-10

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:04 pm

you guys are too funny.

Anyone else remember a yr ago at this time? You couldnt shake people from the Vick bandwagon. It didnt matter that his style made him prone to injuries - he was a first rounder all day.

Flash forward one yr

fantasizing wrote:All this hype about Vick is reminiscent of Kordell Stewart years back. Very athletic and supposedly very talented. But wait! you actually have to perform to be considered a top 3 fantasy QB.
Vick had one good season, NOT great season, good season.

sixxgunn wrote:All being said...would you take Vick in...say,the 6th round if he was there?I would have to give it serious consideration.

maddog60 wrote:No, even Healthy Vick wouldn't be the top 3 QB unless McNabb was injured.

Im at the point now where Id love to see him play a yr and absolutely dominate - he completely has the ability. I just want to see all the jilted Vick owners from last yr - who have since completely lost faith and now lump him into sentences with Kordell - completely lose it when he turns out to be the league MVP and has the most incredible fantasy season ever. :-b
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby IRON CHEF » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:41 pm

I took him in the early/mid 4th.

I know he is overrated, but this has been stressed so much that he is underrated. 8-o

Vick's injury concerns aren't that much of a liability and I think he was a nice pick for my keeper. Everyone is letting him fall way too far, he definitely has the potential to be amazing, one only needs to look at '02.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:53 pm

fantasizing wrote:All this hype about Vick is reminiscent of Kordell Stewart years back. Very athletic and supposedly very talented. But wait! you actually have to perform to be considered a top 3 fantasy QB.
Vick had one good season, NOT great season, good season.

So if 2nd place for QBs isn't great, what is?

maddog60 wrote:No, even Healthy Vick wouldn't be the top 3 QB unless McNabb was injured.

Vick finished 2nd overall in 2002. McNabb was on a breakneck pace and would've put up 400+ fantasy points. That beats the year Gannon had by about 50. Point being, Vick is top 3.

It's funny how some people don't seem to realize exactly what 700 rushing yards for a QB means. Everyone looks at Vick's stats and sees 2900 passing yards and 16 TDs and they assume he was subpar. In most leagues, 1 rushing yard = 2.5 passing yards. Convert Vicks 800 rushing yards in 2002 to passing yards and you get the equivalent of 4900 passing yards.

It was the same way in the 2002 preseason. People looked at Warner's 36 TDs and 4800 passing yards and assumed he was the #1 QB. Some people failed to realize that Garcia actually outpointed him the 2001 season because of the 250 rushing yards and 5 TDs.

If any one QB stat is consistent from year to year, it's rushing yards. You can look at Garcia's totals over the years and add +25-35 points right off the bat. Culpepper and McNabb are good for +40. Jake Plummer is probably good for +20. That doesn't even factor in their likelihood to to get more rushing TDs than average either.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jeru » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:52 am

Here would be my list for a standard Yahoo scoring system, that is 50 yds/pt passing, 20 yds/pt rushing, 6 pts passing and rushing TDs.

1. Manning
2. Culpepper
3. Hasselbeck
4. McNabb
5. Vick
6. Brooks
7. Bulger
8. McNair
9. Green
10. Pennington
11. Favre
12. Brady
13. Plummer
14. Garcia

If passing TDs are 4 pts and rushing 6, you can shake it up somehwat, bumping Culpepper over Manning, and Vick to 3, and McNabb to 4
jeru
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby maddog60 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:11 am

KingGhidra wrote:

Vick finished 2nd overall in 2002. McNabb was on a breakneck pace and would've put up 400+ fantasy points. That beats the year Gannon had by about 50. Point being, Vick is top 3.

So, you're suggesting that Manning isn't a top 3 QB then?
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MeShawn » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:14 am

This is how I would draft them

Culpepp
Manning
Vick
McNabb
Hass
McNair
Penny
Bulger
Brooks
T Green
Sig courtesy of madaslives911.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ironman » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:23 am

This is currently how I have my Top 10 for my league.
(30yards passing, 15yards rushing)

1. Culpepper
2. Manning
3. Hasselbeck
4. McNabb
5. Green
6. Vick
7. Brooks
8. Bulger
9. McNair
10. Brady
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MadScott » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:02 pm

Vick is a great athlete, no doubt but he's got to learn the most complicated offense in the NFL, the west coast offense. Granted I think he will ad lib and learn on the fly but I don't see him being top 3 this year. Take into account also that Jenkins is a rookie and has to learn the scheme too, so his weapons are somewhat young. The scary thing is remember what Steve Young, probably the most similar player to Vick that has been in the NFL, did in the west coast offense. Give Vick a year to learn and get comfortable with his weapons in this offense and watch out.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:19 pm

Since I don't ever draft before mid August I can't put together a 3-10 list. There are too many variables and too many QBs of similar abilities. I would like to reccomend that those of you who have been calling Vick over-rated that you watch a game. Vick is the most talented QB in the league. There is not much you could ask him that he couldn't do. And do better than most. If he stays healthy this season the Falcons will ride him to the playoffs and once there who knows. I see a monster season on the horizon for Vick.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby MadScott » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:26 pm

moochman wrote: I would like to reccomend that those of you who have been calling Vick over-rated that you watch a game. Vick is the most talented QB in the league. There is not much you could ask him that he couldn't do. And do better than most. If he stays healthy this season the Falcons will ride him to the playoffs and once there who knows. I see a monster season on the horizon for Vick.

That being said, more proven QBs than him have struggled mightily to learn the west coast offense and Trestman isn't necessarily the best teacher, IMO. Maybe he'll catch on quicker than I think but I think the soonest that he would flourish in that system would be the 5th-6th week.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk