Six Points for Passing TDs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Six Points for Passing TDs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Six Points for Passing TDs

Postby Portishead » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:31 pm

I joined a buddy's league today and I was looking through the rules and it gives 6 points for a passing TD, 1 point for every 20 yards passing and 5 bonus points for going over 300 yards.

Under this system, where do you rank the top QBs against RBs...Culpepper could realistically average two TDs a game and will usually get more. Combine this with passing and rushing yards and he has the potential to score more than The Reverend.

Would you draft C-Pep top 3-5?
Portishead
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Six Points for Passing TDs

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:36 pm

Portishead wrote:Would you draft C-Pep top 3-5?

Absolutely not. While his point total may end up higher than usual, so will EVERY qb's out there.

The thing that makes quarterbacks value lower isn't that they score fewer points, it's that the point spread from 1 qb to the next is smaller than at most other positions and that you only start one of them so there's less positional scarcity. 6 points for a passing TD broadens the spread a bit, but not significantly, and you still only start one of them so there's no change in positional scarcity.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Re: Six Points for Passing TDs

Postby BGbootha » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:46 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
Portishead wrote:Would you draft C-Pep top 3-5?

Absolutely not. While his point total may end up higher than usual, so will EVERY qb's out there.

The thing that makes quarterbacks value lower isn't that they score fewer points, it's that the point spread from 1 qb to the next is smaller than at most other positions and that you only start one of them so there's less positional scarcity. 6 points for a passing TD broadens the spread a bit, but not significantly, and you still only start one of them so there's no change in positional scarcity.

This is one thing was the hardest thing to get through my head the last two years. Very nicely put though.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:47 pm

I agree from the positional standpoint,but it makes QB's on par with RB'S.So It's feasable(I think that's how you spell it)to think Brett Favre and his 32 TD'S is a better pick than say,Corey Dillon.I would not pick a QB first,but the good ones,like C-Pep,will definitely be moved up my sheet a bit.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:51 pm

i dont think it affects the first two rounds much. but maybe when ur deciding whether to take ur number 2 wide out or your starting qb it will affect your descision
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:54 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:I agree from the positional standpoint,but it makes QB's on par with RB'S.So It's feasable(I think that's how you spell it)to think Brett Favre and his 32 TD'S is a better pick than say,Corey Dillon.I would not pick a QB first,but the good ones,like C-Pep,will definitely be moved up my sheet a bit.

It still doesn't matter...you only start 1 QB and you start two RB's...only 10 QB's will be used each week out of the 30 whereas 20 RB's will start - and some of them may be committees. Here's what I would do...let some other schmo take C-Pep really high while you get someone like Pennington or Bulger in the 5th or 6th round and only lose a few overall points. At the same time, you get two stud RB's while the dummy who took Culpepper is using someone like Warrick Dunn as his #2 RB. You'll outscore him every time.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:59 pm

I think you misunderstand....not taking him high,just higher.I am in a similar scoring league,and I will end up with Mcnair in the 7th,but if I'm stuck between Domanick Davis and C-Pep,and no big WR like Moss,I'm going with the stud QB.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:03 pm

Let me amend that a bit.I feel I can work a trade or two after the draft to get a serviceable enough RB.It's all personal experience though.My guys are probably a little more gullable than most.
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:24 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:I think you misunderstand....not taking him high,just higher.I am in a similar scoring league,and I will end up with Mcnair in the 7th,but if I'm stuck between Domanick Davis and C-Pep,and no big WR like Moss,I'm going with the stud QB.

I'm not trying to bash you, believe me! I'm just trying to quell the argument over drafting QB's higher than they should be.

I still wouldn't take him that high. :-)

That is implicating you'd take him in the middle of the 2nd round. Culpepper shouldn't go until the 3rd even with 6 points per TD if you ask me. Why lose the ability to get better players at more scarce positions?

Here's a stat for you - Culpepper had about 3500 yards and 25 TD's and 11 INT (in 14 games). Tom Brady - who probably wouldn't be drafted until much later - had 3620 yards and 23 TD's and 12 INT. Granted, C-Pep runs more and had 4 rushing TD's, but still, the total amount of points both guys got are within 50 points. Plus, with someone like Brady your chances of having a QB go down with injury is a lot lower.

The main point is that if you use a high pick on a QB, you may get beat much worse by not having two really good RB's. The difference between having a Travis Henry and a committee RB could be much more than 50 points. It may end up being about the same, but I'd rather have a consistent bunch of players over some committee RB who could do nothing for me and a "stud" QB that could bomb also.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:02 pm

No,I knew it wasn't bashing,no harm no foul.I'm only saying,in almost any league,he is going in the first round.I wouldn't take ANY QB that high.I based my theory on a game to game basis,not over-all season totals.I actually went and scored(in my system)what every player would have scored last year on a game to game basis,and found having a top back(A Green),a third tier back(Kevan Barlow) and a top QB,specifically C-Pep,would net more points than a top back(Priest) and a second tier back(D Davis),and a lesser QB(Brady)(not much of a tier there,I agree).So you see,it all depends on how you score,and wise drafting,and some good trades.Not just following a formula.
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk