Titans, George part ways - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Tennessee Titans

Titans, George part ways

Moderator: Football Moderators

Titans, George part ways

Postby Slingblade » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:52 pm

The Tennessee Titans reached the end of an era on Wednesday, parting ways with Eddie George, the franchise's all-time leading rusher (video report). A first-round draft pick by the Houston Oilers in 1996, George developed into one of the NFL's top running backs, leading the Titans during their run to the Super Bowl in 1999. The four-time Pro Bowler is only the second player to rush for 10,000 yards while never missing a start, joining Jim Brown. George, the 1995 Heisman Trophy winner out of Ohio State, scored 64 touchdowns during his eight NFL seasons, rushing for a career-high 1,509 yards in 2000

Players response
QB STEVE MCNAIR
(his thoughts about George leaving)

“Personally, he was a great friend of mine. He was a great asset to my success through the eight years that we were together because of his dedication and his toughness throughout the term we played together. He’s one of my guys that I looked up to and one of the guys that I think is one of the greatest running backs in the National Football League. It’s a very sad day for me. It’ll be a very sad year for me because when I came in and when Eddie came in, we made a goal that once we got into a situation where we were going to be in a starting role together, we were going to hold up that Lombardi Trophy together. To see him depart, hopefully we can still achieve our dream, just not the way we thought we would in the beginning. Winning that trophy was my goal when I came into the league, and it’s still my goal.”

(on if he feels added responsibility in terms of leadership and production without George here)

“Of course. We shared the leadership role for eight years together. Eddie was a guy that got everybody into the game, before the game and after the game. I know it will put me more in the role of being that top leader that me and Eddie shared. I know on offense we have another great leader in Derrick Mason. Anytime you have a guy like Eddie that leaves and you have another leader on the team, that other one has got to take a lot more responsibility as far as the leadership role. It’s not going to be a burden, but I think it’s better to have a couple leaders than just one leader. I think I’ve proved in the past that I can handle it.”

Titans RB Chris Brown

RB CHRIS BROWN

(his thoughts about George leaving)

“It’s sad to see him go, but everyone had to do what they had to do. I learned great things from Eddie. I wish he could have stayed here and I could have learned more from him. It was a great opportunity to learn behind a future Hall of Famer. But I welcome the opportunity if they now expect things out of me. I’m going to go out there and get the job done.”

(on if he is ready for an increased role if asked)

“I’ve been here preparing all offseason for the season so that I can get ready for what happens and be ready for any situation.”

(on what he will take from his one season with George)

“The biggest thing he really helped me with is how to go out there and practice like a professional, week in and week out, work hard every day in practice.”

(on if he will change how he prepares for the upcoming season)

“It won’t change a thing. I’ve been preparing the whole offseason, getting ready and getting in shape to stay injury free. I’m going to keep doing what I’ve been doing.”
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Tennessee Titans