Robbins 'deeply saddened' by recent events - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Robbins 'deeply saddened' by recent events

Moderator: Football Moderators

Robbins 'deeply saddened' by recent events

Postby Dazedncnfz » Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:34 am

Raiders center Barret Robbins has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, according to a statement released by his agent, Drew Pittman.

In the statement, which was prepared with Robbins and his wife, Marisa, Barret expressed remorse for the events surrounding the Super Bowl.

Robbins Statement
Click here to read the complete statement released by Barret Robbins' agent, Drew Pittman.

Raiders coach Bill Callahan barred Robbins from playing in the Raiders' 48-21 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the Super Bowl after Robbins missed a team meeting and final walk-through the day before the game. Robbins then showed up "incoherent" for a team meeting that Saturday night.

Robbins has a history of depression and bipolar illness.

Shortly after the team told him he wouldn't be playing in the Super Bowl, he was admitted to a San Diego hospital, Robbins' agent Drew Pittman said.

Pittman told the San Francisco Chronicle on Monday that Robbins is still hospitalized, but is no longer in the San Diego area.

A Robbins family member said he was on a suicide watch last week, according to report last week in the New York Daily News.

But according to Marisa Robbins, those reports are part of cloudy circumstances surrounding the event, and she told The Contra Costa Times over the weekend that she was upset about how her husband has been portrayed in the media. According to the report, she was most upset with comments made by Raiders teammates about the situation.

Left guard Mo Collins had said of Robbins, "Whatever (expletive) rock he came up from under (Saturday), he can stay there. ... I would welcome him back as a business partner but not as a brother. A brother wouldn't leave you hanging like that."

Marisa Robbins told the newspaper of those types of comments: "I was so furious at how quick they were to jump on, 'Oh, he was just partying.' That showed a total lack of compassion."

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JayM09 » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:18 am

hopefully he can get his life back together, before thinking of a comeback to football.
JayM09
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kashikis » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:57 am

i wish all the best for Robbins, his family, and his career.
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby fntsyrookie » Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:14 am

kashikis wrote:i wish all the best for Robbins, his family, and his career.

Same here. I also have to apologize as well. I was one of the people who thought he was in Tijihuana that night boozing it up looking for the Donkey show. Sorry.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Dazedncnfz » Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:23 am

We all thought the worst of him...shame on us, but atleast we are man enough to admit out mistakes..all the best to robbins, i truely hope things work out for him.

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to General Talk