Antowain Smith Comes to terms with the Titans - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Antowain Smith Comes to terms with the Titans

Moderator: Football Moderators

Antowain Smith Comes to terms with the Titans

Postby DUKE » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:09 pm

I've seen the threads about him visiting, but I haven't seen anything about him agreeing to terms with them. Aparently, it looks like he has.
Titans replace George with Smith
Nashville, TN (Sports Network) - The Tennessee Titans reportedly have come to terms with running back Antowain Smith, filling the void created by the departure of Eddie George.

According to The Tennessean, the deal is for the veteran minimum of $660,000 with a $25,000 signing bonus.

Smith was released at season's end by the Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots after leading the team in rushing for all three of his years there.

The 32-year-old Smith rushed for 642 yards on 182 carries in 13 games last season. He has 5,713 career yards on the ground in his seven-year career, the first four coming with the Buffalo Bills.

George was released Wednesday by Tennessee when he could not agree on a reworking of his contract that was slated to pay him $4.25 million this season.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member
Home Cafe: Football

Postby WTA » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:20 pm

Is he worth picking up?? I wouldn't think so, but ya never know...
WTA
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:27 pm

Just when you thought it was safe to draft Chris Brown... :-t

Apparently they aren't very high on Brown if they want to bring in Smith. So, is this going to be a RBBC, or are they going to use him to pound it at the goal line?
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ABC » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:40 pm

According to ESPN, Len Pasquarelli:

*only a portion of the article *

It appears the Titans still plan to turn the starting tailback job over to second-year veteran Chris Brown, who suffered through nagging injuries the first half of his 2003 rookie season and carried 56 times for 221 yards. But acquiring Smith provides the Titans an excellent insurance policy, and another veteran to go along with the versatile Robert Holcombe.

Even with the presence of tailbacks like James Stewart and Dorsey Levens in the free agent market, Smith was by far the top choice of Tennessee officials to help solidify a backfield in flux, with the departure of George after eight seasons.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... id=1844330

IMO:
Since it's hard to say whether they will go with an rbbc situation until training camp and preseason has ended, I'd still draft Brown as a #2 RB and after the top 15 rb's are gone.
ABC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby MeShawn » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:43 pm

ABC wrote:According to ESPN, Len Pasquarelli:

*only a portion of the article *

It appears the Titans still plan to turn the starting tailback job over to second-year veteran Chris Brown, who suffered through nagging injuries the first half of his 2003 rookie season and carried 56 times for 221 yards. But acquiring Smith provides the Titans an excellent insurance policy, and another veteran to go along with the versatile Robert Holcombe.

Even with the presence of tailbacks like James Stewart and Dorsey Levens in the free agent market, Smith was by far the top choice of Tennessee officials to help solidify a backfield in flux, with the departure of George after eight seasons.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/s ... id=1844330

IMO:
Since it's hard to say whether they will go with an rbbc situation until training camp and preseason has ended, I'd still draft Brown as a #2 RB and after the top 15 rb's are gone.

I'd be a little wary drafting him as a #2 RB. I'm drafting him (if at all) as my #3 RB.
Sig courtesy of madaslives911.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bennett4prez » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:19 pm

He is #4 worthy. Nothing more. Keep in mind, Eddie's age wasn't the only reason his numbers started to decline. That offensive line isn't the greatest I've seen. Case in point: Steve McNair.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:30 pm

If you felt safe drafting Chris Brown with Eddie in town, then he should be even more attractive to you now. Personally, I was of the belief that Brown would be no more than a change of pace back this year. With the Antowain Smith signing, I feel that Brown is still the change of pace back, but instead of 100-150 carries, he will now see 150-200 carries. Comparable to Kevin Faulk of last year.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby NittanyLions » Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:41 pm

Ive got Brown and hearing Eddie went to OAK got me pumped, thinking Antowain would go to Dallas and my Brown pick would work. This mixed it up, but I still look for Brown to get a load, they needed a vet in there.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

How to use Antowain Smith

Postby DraftDodger » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:01 pm

Titans staff, listen up!

Use Antowain Smith as your starting fullback. Give the ball to Brown. Once in a while, give the ball to Smith. You'll be unstoppable on the ground.

Smith is a powerful guy and would make a great blocker. The bonus is that when you hand him the rock and the defenders purposefully sidestep him (to avoid the expected block) he'll dash off 35-40 yards.

I'd love to see a Smith & Brown backfield, but not by committee.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Return to Football Talk