Lamar Gordon - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lamar Gordon

Moderator: Football Moderators

Lamar Gordon

Postby IRON CHEF » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:21 pm

So, with news breaking out of SJ dissapointing Martz by missing practices and leaving himself behind Gordon in the depth chart, how will Lamar do when Faulk goes down? He has potential to do well, but I just don't see his talents coming to fruition.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wolverine » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:07 pm

Not to mention that the Martz offensive system isn't exactly a snap to come in and pick-up. Those who were planning to draft Jackson somewhere in the 8th or 9th round should taper their expectations of him this year. Lamar Gordon deserves to get any work that Marshall can't do himself. I have thought for weeks now that Gordon would be a better pickup than Jackson....too much irrational exuberance over SJ.
Wolverine
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Bennett4prez » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:16 pm

I'm a huge downer on Lamar Gordon. Is he worth a spot on the local high school team? Alright, exaggeration, but no way should any team be forced to start someone of Lamar's caliber every down. The Rams rely heavily on explosive plays. Lamar cannot do that for your team.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Turnip » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:24 pm

I've always liked Lamar Gordon...I feel he will do better than Steven Jackson could this year if one of them were forced to start, and Mike Martz knows that.
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wolverine » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:17 pm

The thing is, Lamar Gordon did a respectable job filling in for two games last year for Marshall in Weeks 4 and 5 before he got injured as well. If you look at their stats:

Faulk, Marshall RB STL
209 att. 818 yards 3.9 ypc 10 TD
45 rec. 290 yards 6.4 ypc 1 TD

Gordon, Lamar RB STL
71 att. 298 yards 4.2 ypc 1 TD
8 rec. 59 yards 7.4 ypc 0 TD

Gordon only saw 1/3 of Marshall's work last year but maintained a better yard per carry over his rushing attempts. He scored less TD's and caught less passes out of the backfield. However, the Rams had more commitment to the run in the last half of the season last year, once Marshall returned back from his midseason surgery. 3/4 of his attempts were in the season's second half and 10 of his 11 TD's. Some of that had to do with Marshall's ability, some boiled down to the RB touches per game. Of note, Marshall's ypc in the last eight games was 4.2, equivalent to that of Gordon's for the year.

It is unquestioned that Marshall is still a much better player than Gordon; however, Lamar didn't do too shabby in relief of Faulk last year. He just has his own personal injury issues to address.
Wolverine
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby MadScott » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:23 pm

Gordon, as would most any Rams RB (see Arlen Harris v. Pitt. last year) will do just fine in that system. At least for the year. I've heard that he's fallen out of favor with Martz and will be gone sooner than later which would make sense considering SJ in the 1st round.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:42 pm

Wolverine wrote:The thing is, Lamar Gordon did a respectable job filling in for two games last year for Marshall in Weeks 4 and 5 before he got injured as well.

He sure did! I used him both of those weeks last year when Portis and Henry went down with their various injuries. The RB is pretty important in that offense (as it is anywhere) because it just opens up their passing game even more. Plus, when (not if) they pass it to the 2 yard line, guess who's going to pound it in? How else has Faulk compiled over 100 rushing TD's in his career? :-)

As long as we know he's the #2, he is someone you want to keep in mind during the draft. If he starts, he's probably going to score you more points than a vulture would!
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk