Drafting Basics? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Drafting Basics?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Drafting Basics?

Postby PlaxKidd » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:15 am

Okay RB is first, When do TE K and D come in?
PlaxKidd
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:20 am

In my 10 team gonzo went first in the fourth round. I usually wait until late for a kicker. unless you can get vanderjagt and hes the best player there
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:40 am

If you don't want a superstar TE, K, and DEF, take them with your last few picks. There's no point in wasting a good pick on a crappy player who will get you fewer points than good WR's, QB's, or even reserve RB's.

If you want the best, you do have to pay a little more for them. Insane people will take Tony Gonzalez in the beginning of the 3rd round, but mainly by the 4th round he'll be gone which is fine. He produces as much as a top 20 WR. Heap and Shockey will come next, but they really shouldn't be taken until the 5th or 6th round. After those three, just pick one near the end and pray they do good...

Defense - NE and BAL are going to require about a 6th or 7th round pick. After that, you can get a very serviceable defense a few rounds later.

Kickers like Vanderjagt and probably Wilkins (due to his perfomance last year) will go later than the top TE's and defenses, probably 7th or 8th round. Unless you're using a strategy of taking all the best non-RB's at every position, don't waste a higher pick on kickers. I guarantee there will be at least one or two kickers that are either undrafted or let go after the draft that end up in the top 10 in kicker scoring. Last year I let Wilkins go after the draft, picked him back up in the eighth week, and never looked back.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby PlaxKidd » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:49 am

EXACTLY what I was looking for, Thanks Bro! ;-D
PlaxKidd
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby catch22 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:56 am

Good break down Mercer. I agree with what he said. I have never drafted a TE,K,Def earlier than round 5. In some leagues a def can score som serious points. I had the Bucs two years ago and they were scoring 20+ each week. Just depends on the scoring.
"If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and can't tell who the sucker is.......... it's you."

How 'bout them Cowboys!!!!
catch22
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Xtreme » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:34 am

It really depends on how many you start, how many on your bench, etc.

My league start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, K, D, with 7 or so bench. The draft I typically try to adhere to is...

1st - RB
2nd - RB
3rd - WR
4th - WR
5th - QB
6th - RB
7th - WR
8th - RB
9th - TE
10th - WR
11th - D
12th - RB
13th - K
14th+ fill in holes

But the key is to recognize the steals. If a top 5 QB is sitting out there in the 4th round, I'd take him then and a WR in the 5th, just as an example. These steal are the key to a good draft. Have an idea of where you expect each player to go, and if anybody starts to fall, keep your eye on him and grab him at the right time.
HIR? viewtopic.php?t=507654#p3396000

Beware the Buffalion!
Xtreme
Head Coach
Head Coach

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:51 am

Mercer Boy wrote:I guarantee there will be at least one or two kickers that are either undrafted or let go after the draft that end up in the top 10 in kicker scoring. Last year I let Wilkins go after the draft, picked him back up in the eighth week, and never looked back.

Actually the average over the last 5 years has been that between 3 and 4 of the top 5 kickers finished outside the top 15 the year before, so it's even better than you say ;-D
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Return to Football Talk