Moderator: Football Moderators

Detroit RBBC?

Postby Buckychudd » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:06 am

Friday, July 23, 2004
NFL: Notebook

Millen: George not for Detroit
By Mike O'Hara / The Detroit News

Associated Press

ALLEN PARK — Eddie George might have enough yards left in his legs to be an effective tailback in the NFL, but he won’t get to prove it in Detroit.

The Lions are committed to using young tailbacks to upgrade a running game that was the league’s worst in 2003. Signing George, released Wednesday by the Titans, does not fit in their plans.

“Not with our running-back situation,” Lions President Matt Millen said Thursday. “We’re pretty comfortable with where we are.”

The Lions ranked 32nd in the league last year. That was not a one-season fluke. They were 29th in 2002 and 28th in ’01. They have released James Stewart, who missed all of last season because of a dislocated shoulder suffered in the last exhibition game.

Until someone takes command of the position, Coach Steve Mariucci will have a tailback-by-committee approach, with the emphasis on new players. Rookie Kevin Jones, a first-round draft pick from Virginia Tech, and second-year back Artose Pinner figure prominently in 2004. Shawn Bryson, who started 13 games last year and led the team with 606 yards, will provide veteran depth. Olandis Gary also will compete for a roster spot.

George turns 31 on Sept. 24. He did not miss a game in eight seasons with the Titans. Last year, he gained 1,031 yards and averaged 3.3 yards per carry.

On Thursday, the Titans signed Antowain Smith, who had been released by the New England Patriots, to a one-year contract.

George is scheduled to visit the Cowboys today.

Contract chatter

Tom Lewand, the Lions’ chief operating officer and lead negotiator on player contracts, expressed optimism again that the logjam on negotiations with rookies will break with training camps about to open. As of Thursday, three first-round picks had signed contracts or agreed to terms.

Linebacker Jason Babin of Western Michigan, drafted 27th overall by Houston, and defensive tackle Vince Wilfork of Miami (Fla.), taken 21st by New England, have signed. Wide receiver Michael Clayton of Louisiana State, drafted 15th by Tampa Bay, had agreed to terms.

The Lions’ six draft picks report Sunday. On Monday, they will begin a four-day orientation and training program. All players report Friday and begin double practices the next day.

“I would expect that the pace would pick up here over the next few days and we would have some things to announce, probably the early part of the week leading to the reporting date Friday,” Lewand said.

Rookies can take part in the orientation program before signing, but no player can participate in training camp without a contract.

Material from personal interviews, other beat writers and Detroit News wire services was used in this report. You can reach Mike O’Hara at (313) 982-3810 or (313) 222-1488.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/lions/0407/23/h04-220763.htm
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Detroit RBBC?

Postby Gunslinger » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:30 am

Buckychudd wrote:
Until someone takes command of the position

This being the key. I like KJ to "take command" by mid-season. At least VHawk won't be harrassing me about JJ being better than KJ anymore. Or will he... :-?

J/K VHawk. ;)
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby cooleyhigh » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:44 pm

I have had enough of this nightmare. I will be taking Fitz with my #1 rookie pick :-/
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:02 pm

Cooley you can't go wtong picking Fitz, at worst I see him a a very good possesion receiver.
Any time I hear rumblings about the Lions running situation there are always mention of how Jones could be the back they're looking for. He has the speed and elusiveness to be a feature back. I think he would have to fail miserably for the RBBC to be in effect all season.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby tmandpimp » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:04 pm

K Jones was SICK at VTECH but i dont think that he will mount up to standards in the NFL unless he gets some jets on his back..my boy W Dunn in tampa was ok but even he has fell off. they need to get some meat on their bones. i dont think Willis will be that good either.... something about these skinny little backs looking down the eyes of ray lewis and urlacher doesnt sound like a good idea. and being in arizona i can promise you that MR. GREEN will turn Fitz, Boldin, and a back to be named later into a really good offense. even though i hate the cardinals
tmandpimp
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mutantseabass » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:35 pm

I will almost guarantee that by game 4 Kevin Jones will be the feature back for the Lions. All this talk about Pinnner this and Pinner that is rediculous. If Piiner was that good I dont think that Millen or Mooch would have traded up to grab Jones. You can say all you want about Pinner being hurt Pinner not playing much, but in my opinon Mooch didnt see what he wanted to see from Pinner in game time or practice hence the trade up for Jones.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cooleyhigh » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:40 pm

mutantseabass wrote:I will almost guarantee that by game 4 Kevin Jones will be the feature back for the Lions. All this talk about Pinnner this and Pinner that is rediculous. If Piiner was that good I dont think that Millen or Mooch would have traded up to grab Jones. You can say all you want about Pinner being hurt Pinner not playing much, but in my opinon Mooch didnt see what he wanted to see from Pinner in game time or practice hence the trade up for Jones.

It's called selling tickets to pay for that new stadium :-) Look at how many are on the bandwagon...

Anyway he might be great but the fact that he slipped past the keen eyes of Shanny and Bill P makes me wonder...
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Turnip » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:50 am

Pinner could end up being a great WW pickup down the road
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RWLongy4 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:01 am

I'd expect it to be Pinner's job to lose... I think he will get the bulk of the carries to begin with and if he performs he will keep getting them, If not then I would expect Jones to see the bulk of the carries.

my 2 cents
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby MadScott » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:44 am

I don't know why this comes as a surprise with Mooches track record in SF. The difference here is that he's got a clear cut stud with KJ whom I believe will eventually end up outshining the others hands down.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk