Detroit RBBC? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Detroit RBBC?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby CC » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:37 pm

tmandpimp wrote:K Jones was SICK at VTECH but i dont think that he will mount up to standards in the NFL unless he gets some jets on his back..my boy W Dunn in tampa was ok but even he has fell off. they need to get some meat on their bones. i dont think Willis will be that good either.... something about these skinny little backs looking down the eyes of ray lewis and urlacher doesnt sound like a good idea. and being in arizona i can promise you that MR. GREEN will turn Fitz, Boldin, and a back to be named later into a really good offense. even though i hate the cardinals

The man runs a 10.2 second 100 metre race, what more do you want?
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:51 pm

just to bring this back b/c im interested in the situation

4-STAR PLAYERS

ROOKIE TO WATCH: Kevin Jones, RB. Jones has the speed and power fantasy owners like to see in an every-down back, but he will have to prove it to Mariucci, who has had success using backs in tandem. (Do the names Garrison Hearst and Kevan Barlow ring a bell?) Working in Jones' favor is that he is an accomplished blocker, something Barlow didn't do well early in his career. Now, if Jones can improve as a receiver, he'll be the complete package, and he'll have no problem sending Artose Pinner to the bench.

and

1-STAR PLAYERS

Artose Pinner, RB. Pinner missed most of last season with a broken leg and might have missed his opportunity to win the starting job. In three games last season, Pinner averaged just 2.5 yards a carry, and after that, the Lions jumped at the chance to draft Jones. Pinner did show promise as a receiving threat, and that's Jones' weakness. It's quite possible Pinner will earn the role of third-down back. Still, he probably won't win enough playing time to garner much fantasy consideration.

from http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=lionslettherebelight&prov=tsn&type=lgns

and

Jul 24 Curt Sylvester, of the Detroit Free Press, reports Detroit Lions RB Kevin Jones has speed, quickness and big-play potential that the Lions have needed badly. In a worst-case situation, Jones is expected to share time with second-year RB Artose Pinner. In a best-case situation, he may pan out as the team's full-time tailback.

from http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6789/news
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:03 pm

appreciate the updates Flux - looks like KJones bandwagon is gaining speed as camp approaches - his stock keeps climbing.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Flux » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:09 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:appreciate the updates Flux - looks like KJones bandwagon is gaining speed as camp approaches - his stock keeps climbing.

with all that has happened w/ TEN, DAL, and MIA, im trying to convince myself that there are still potential full-time guys out there.

KJ, TJ, Staley, and C. Brown are some guys i definitey going to be keeping an eye on here

I really want to be high on KJ, but Pinner's presence is a pretty sizable concern. From everything ive read it seems Pinner is the better between tackles runner, which potentially could lead to him being a TD vulture. BUT KJ isnt small and has some big legs.

There is also talk of Mooch loving RBBC, but i think someone on this board made a good argument that he actually doesnt but i dont remember who or what they actually said
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:30 pm

Flux wrote:with all that has happened w/ TEN, DAL, and MIA, im trying to convince myself that there are still potential full-time guys out there.

KJ, TJ, Staley, and C. Brown are some guys i definitey going to be keeping an eye on here

I really want to be high on KJ, but Pinner's presence is a pretty sizable concern. From everything ive read it seems Pinner is the better between tackles runner, which potentially could lead to him being a TD vulture. BUT KJ isnt small and has some big legs.

There is also talk of Mooch loving RBBC, but i think someone on this board made a good argument that he actually doesnt but i dont remember who or what they actually said

Im right there with you - I dont think any of them will be "full time" guys - but some will emerge as feature backs - which is about as good as you are going to get with the direction the NFL has been moving in (specializing roles for RBs). Another reason why you MUST get a top RB in the 1st rd - they are becoming more and more rare.

I have been pretty concerned about a RBBC in DET, but I have to admit Im getting on the KJ bandwagon a bit more. I also saw the solid argument put forth by someone around here saying Mooch isnt really a RBBC coach - but he did that out of necessity, and that if he had a RB capable of being the feature back he would gladly use him as such. If someone could dig up that thread - it'd be nice to revisit it. This could be KJ. I think the biggest boost to KJ is that he supposably is a good blocker - that speaks volumes in Mooch's plans.

I dont think its that much of a stretch to see KJ as a top 10 RB next yr at this time - Potent offense, good line, the pieces are in place.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Flux » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:48 pm

Alright I found it, it was KG, i should have known!

KingGhidra wrote:It's a myth that Mooch is a RBBC committee guy. He relied on just one RB if he had a good one.

1997: Garrison Hearst - 234 carries - 13 games
1998: Garrison Hearst - 310 carries - next closest RB: 48 carries
1999: Charlie Garner - 241 carries - next closest RB: 58 carries
2000: Charlie Garner - 258 carries - next closest RB: 50 carries

2001: Garrison Hearst: 252 carries - Kevan Barlow: 125 carries

As you can see, he wasn't taking very many carries away from the primary back, just giving the 2nd RB all the carries that usually went to three or four other guys. IF KJ is everything people say he is, Mooch will give him 300 carries. I still think Artose Pinner has something to say about that though.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:53 pm

Flux wrote:Alright I found it, it was KG, i should have known!

Bah - he probably made it all up anyway - you know how much he lies. That guy never uses stats to back up his wild claims. :-b
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Flux » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:04 pm

My only argument against these stats that KG showed us, is look at who the backups were at the time Mooch didnt go RBBC

Terry Kirby
Fred Beasly
Lawrence Phillips

not the prettiest list

maybe its not that he relied on 1 RB if he had a good one, but instead he went to RBBC if he had 2 good ones.

Who knows though, im sure camp will decide something, but i hate waiting :~(
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby MadScott » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:17 am

Something to keep an eye on with him as well, Det. has a relatively easy schedule for the first 5 weeks. He could pick up momentum right away and run with it.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk