New to FF... couple questions - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

New to FF... couple questions

Moderator: Football Moderators

New to FF... couple questions

Postby Count_Rugen » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:32 pm

Hey all,

I'm a first year FF coach, so I'm still a little unsure of how the FF tactics relate in regards to real-life. Already learned alot just from reading this board, though. A few questions for you veterans, if you got the time:

1. My league lineup is set up so that I could start more WR than TE (i.e., WR/TE), or vice-versa. What's better in FF?

2. What positions would you choose automatically each round in drafting? 1st = QB, 2nd = RB, etc... Or do you find it's better to ditch your plan and choose another position if your pick has already been chosen? Hearing you all's experience on this would rock.

3. Anyone have any good strategies in drafting and starting players?

Thanks!
Count_Rugen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ek » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:54 pm

1. WRs and TEs accumulate the same type of stats, so whoever is putting up more yards and TDs will be better for you. 98% of the time, this is a WR.

2. I'd say the relative importance of the positions are as follows in a normal league (some people might argue w/ me on some of these) - prioritize accordingly:
RB - A position where there's less good players than starting positions. The most consistent source of points. I can't emphasize their value enough. If you have the best stable of RBs in your league, you're probably going to the playoffs. 2 of your top 3 picks should be RBs.
QB - Usually a team's biggest point scorer, but there are so many good ones that most teams will wind up being about even at this position, so drafting one high is dangerous. Worth taking the best (Manning/Culpepper) in the late second/early third round, but you can get good ones in the 6th-7th round, too.
WR - The best will score as many points as RBs, but you're usually getting wild inconsistency instead of week in/week out production. Also, it's usually possible to get a stud on waivers if you pay attention early in the season. Randy Moss usually goes in the late first, Marvin Harrison in the mid-second, and most of the other good ones in the third.
DEF - A lot of people would argue with putting this this high, but they score more points than TEs and are more predictable than Kickers..still hold off until round 8 or so, and then only if you're getting Baltimore or New England.
TE - Tony Gonzalez is a stud and arguably worth a third-round pick, but few others score enough to justify their draft position. Shouldn't be a big priority.
K - Score lots of points, but wildly inconsistent from one year to the next (An earlier post said something like only one kicker in the last ten years has had back-to-back top five seasons). May be worth taking one before the last round, but definitely hold off until the last quarter of the draft (I like the last round for "joke" picks like Vinny Testaverde, David Terrell, or Shannon Sharpe).

3. Generally go for the best player available, but try to make sure you have two solid RBs by the end of the third round...don't jump on your favorite sleepers too early...don't draft players you can't root for unless they fall ridiculously far in the draft...as for starting players, I usually go with who I consider to be my best players regardless of matchup, but there are others who like to play the matchups more than I do.

Hope some of that was helpful
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Re: New to FF... couple questions

Postby Azrael » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:31 pm

Count_Rugen wrote:Hey all,

I'm a first year FF coach, so I'm still a little unsure of how the FF tactics relate in regards to real-life. Already learned alot just from reading this board, though. A few questions for you veterans, if you got the time:

1. My league lineup is set up so that I could start more WR than TE (i.e., WR/TE), or vice-versa. What's better in FF?

2. What positions would you choose automatically each round in drafting? 1st = QB, 2nd = RB, etc... Or do you find it's better to ditch your plan and choose another position if your pick has already been chosen? Hearing you all's experience on this would rock.

3. Anyone have any good strategies in drafting and starting players?

Thanks!

1. It is almost certainly better to start a WR in that flex spot than a TE unless you have no fixed TE spot and you have Tony Gonzalez. Most NFL team's No. 2 WR's will outscore most TE's.

2. There is no set rule to drafting but typically RB's are more valuable than any other position and they go alot faster than any other position. The reason is 2 fold. Most fantasy leagues start only 1QB, multiple RBs, and multiple WRs. Of course NFL teams start only 1QB and usually 1 full time RB. The fantasy lineup creates a larger scarcity at RB than at QB. Also consider that a number of NFL teams use more than 1RB. This makes this position even more crucial and forces you to draft them earlier. As a rule of thumb, "most people" think it is necessary to come out of the 1st 3 rounds with 2 RBs. Depending on draft position, some owners may opt to draft marquis players at other positions if alot of the good runningbacks have already been drafted.

3. It's really hard to come up with a "fixed" draft strategy. And if you do, and don't adapt to the situation, you'll get burned. The only real "rule of thumb" as I said was, in general, you must get RBs before other players.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby BlitzBoyz » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:54 pm

You're getting good advice here, I don't disagree with anything being said. I would add "do your research". Watch posts here, USA Today, ESPN, CBSSportsline, NFL.com, Yahoo, etc. Google "fantasy football" and you'll find tons of sites. Some advice you see will be bogus, but if you read enough you'll see the basic patterns emerging.

You might also want to look at the various mock drafts on these sites. They'll give you an idea of how people who know what they are doing see the draft. Don't forget to look at your league settings... for instance, if your league gives a point per reception as well as for receiving yards and TD's, then that affects the value of RB's that catch lots of passes as well as possession receivers who would otherwise be less useful.

Here's a recent mock draft with some reasoning behind the picks attached. http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis ... antasy/nfl

And here's where the Cafe folks take the "experts" to task for their picks >grin< http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=64993

Good luck, and have fun.
Last edited by BlitzBoyz on Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You live and learn - or you don't live long.
BlitzBoyz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BlitzBoyz » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:55 pm

ack, the dreaded double post!
BlitzBoyz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Count_Rugen » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:31 pm

This is terrific advice you guys, just what I was looking for, please, keep it coming!

I have an addendum to BlitzBoyz comment though. Yeah, my league is set up for a point for reception, and a point for every 10 rushing/reception yards. Ergo, does this mean I should essentially gear my draft picks based upon their ability to catch? Would this be a situation (or is there ever a situation) where it'd make sense to choose a WR or two in the first 3 rounds?

This site rocks!
Thanks you all!
Count_Rugen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Azrael » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:49 pm

BlitzBoyz wrote:
You might also want to look at the various mock drafts on these sites. They'll give you an idea of how people who know what they are doing see the draft. Don't forget to look at your league settings... for instance, if your league gives a point per reception as well as for receiving yards and TD's, then that affects the value of RB's that catch lots of passes as well as possession receivers who would otherwise be less useful.

This is great advice. Nothing prepares you better than actual practice. This should help you understand what players are "generally" more valuable than others and where they typically get drafted.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby BlitzBoyz » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:54 pm

In general, you want 2 RB's in the first 3 rounds. You have to evaluate talent... basically the only 3 WR's I would consider taking before my 2nd RB are Moss, Harrison, and Holt. I would have to consider Culpepper or Manning in 2 or 3. It depends on your draft position, who is already picked, the number of players in your league, and how knowlegable they are.

There are lots of ways to play the game. I've known people to do well by being contrary and grabbing stud WR's and QB early and then using mid quality RB's, trades, and the waiver wire to help their running game. RB's early is tried and true though, that's why you will hear that advice so often.

As to points for receptions, that's not something to overvalue but rather to consider. If you are looking at two RB's that are basically equal but one gets a lot more receptions he's worth more points (in that format). Don't stress over it too much.

You might want to play several teams somewhere free, like Yahoo. Don't draft all at once... do a team and play with it a little and when you do your next draft you'll have a better feel for it. Drafting your team this early can be risky anyhow - ask someone who drafted Vick last season and saw him break his leg in the preseason. Often the draft itself is a lot of fun, maybe more than the season, especially if what you thought was a great team goes south on you. 8-o
BlitzBoyz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby stomperrob » Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:26 pm

We've debated the value of magazines in the past - there's dozens available - the best one I've found this year if Fantasy Guru .com Magazine - excellent analysis by posiiton and lots of good articles (most mags only have 2 or 3 articles it seems). The important thing to remember about magazines, websites, and The Cafe is that all are just opinions (some better qualified than others), so the more opinions you get the better and then put together your own list. Good luck! ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

A link to a useful post

Postby DraftDodger » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:24 pm

I took a look at the numbers behind drafting by position, and Arlo published my article here. You might find it useful for deciding when to draft which positions.

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/2003/tips_numbers.php
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Football Talk