Compensatory Pick For Ricky Owners? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Compensatory Pick For Ricky Owners?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Compensatory Pick For Ricky Owners?

Postby nola_saint » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:51 pm

So I have, errr had Ricky on my team, so now I will need to choose another of our league's 2 keepers. Insert Hines Ward for me, thank God that deadline has not passed and we haven't drafted yet. At least I have Moss to compensate a little and can focus on drafting RBs alone, ha! I'm screwed.
So my question is, since I lost a big part of my team, and a essential first rounder, should I get say a compensatory 3rd round (5th with keepers) pick, similar to the NFL when teams lose major FAs. I am the only team now that would not have in essence 2 legitimate 1st round (edit:and 2nd) keepers, if we had drafted from scratch.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by nola_saint on Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nola_saint
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jumpman8828 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:54 pm

I think that's fair, it isn't a normal kind of thing like an injury. I don't know how your fellow owners would feel about it though...
jumpman8828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Flux » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:54 pm

nope, this really isnt a whole lot different then if someone gets injured in the preseason (ala Vick)

He was one of my 3 keepers in my money league, so Im feeling the pain here too, but we have a retirement rule and i can pick a new player, which is an obvious hit to me.

Things happen all the time whether its an injury or suspension or whatever else. You cant make new rules or have extra picks since people will start begging for them over the smallest things. Someone could complain that Portis' value took a hit b/c he switched teams and they deserved a new pick
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jeru » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:55 pm

IMO, no you shouldn't get any form of compensation. Fantasy football is a game of calculated risks, and any player could have a career or season ending injury or retire at any point. If you are given something for losing Ricky, it sets a precedent, and then if say Portis tears an ACL in training camp, or if Faulk also decides to retire preason, their owners will be crying foul and demanding compensation too.

Basically, I think you just have to suck it up becuase there's no way to adequately compensate for a top 10 RB and because it would set a dangerous precedent.
jeru
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Canacuna » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:57 pm

Eh, I dunno. It's different in Ricky's case because no one thought he would ever retire like this (I'm sure most of his keeper owners were planning on building around him for years), but I think a retired player is a retired player. You take risks with who you draft and you should live with it.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby jeru » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:02 pm

I agree. In drafting Ricky, you drafted him knowing that he is a major headcase who could do something like this at any point. Why compensate the Ricky owners if you don't compensate the Shannon Sharpe owners who drafted him in keeper drafts before he re-announced his retirement. Or, if Marshall Faulk decides to retire before the season starts, his owners would go demanding the same compensation, so it's a slippery slope.
jeru
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby nola_saint » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:03 pm

So far it's what I expected, I presented this because it was mentioned by another manager, to my surprise. I am the commisioner and would never have suggested it, especially in an 8 team league where talent goes a longer way than 10-12 team leagues. This is just an odd situation though, I will just need to draft smart with my 8-9 picks and maybe trade.
nola_saint
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby jeru » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:05 pm

If you can get a 2/3 or 3/4 league vote to approve awarding a compensatory pick, then that would be fine I'd think, but it would be unlikely. Also, it's not like a 3rd rounder would come close to providing proper compensation anyway, and probably would not be worth the can of worms it would open.
jeru
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Carnac » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:09 pm

You just do the best you can from the FA list. That's all you have to work with. What are you going to do? Take someone else's player? Good luck.
Golf nut
Carnac
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby BGbootha » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:28 pm

I would agree with the rest of the gang here. I don't see the use of a compesentory pick being issued here. Bummer dude. LUckily i don't have Ricky on any of my teams. But we all knew this uy is a flake. Although i don't think anyone really saw this coming. (surprised the holy heck out of me when i picked up the paper this morning.)

But it's one of those things that happen in the fantasy world. Bummer dude. Its part of the game that keeps it interesting.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Next

Return to Football Talk