Compensatory Pick For Ricky Owners? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Compensatory Pick For Ricky Owners?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby 25cent » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:51 pm

yes
25cent
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ABC » Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:17 pm

Here's how our league addressed this issue.

I'm the commish and if this were during the reason, the only refuge the owner would get would be that he would not be charged a waiver wire move to replace the retired player.

Our league only allows 20 total waiver wire additions during the season.

If the owner had declared their keepers and it was before the draft, then they would be entitled to gaining back the pick that the kept player occupied.

EX:
Team A keeps 3 players. Means that they don't draft til the 4th round. One of their players retires, they now get back their 3rd round pick.

If it was during the draft and we've already passed the 4th round and a player retires, then they make up the loss of the player with drafting in the last round. So, it's best if the player retires before or after our draft!! ha ha ha!!
ABC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby columbo » Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:39 pm

I don't believe the Dolphins are getting any compensatory picks for Ricky's retirement. So your fantasy team shouldn't either. This is just another case of a player's stock dropping, in Ricky's case, all the way down to 0.
What if he changes his mind later on, comes back from retirement and you're able to grab him? Are you gonna give up the guy you drafted with your extra pick?

We're all sorry for the Ricky owners out there but things happen, including early retirement, and career ending injuries.

Time to move on and recover your team with your well-honed fantasy football skills.
"Listen Columbo, just for a minute how about we stop pretending that I'm brilliant and you're simple!"
columbo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Homer J » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:32 pm

We have yet to draft or declare keepers, so our league likely will not do anything. The Ricky owner in our league (who, by the way, just traded FOR him last week) is now scrambling to make a trade to bolster his keeper list (and I plan to help him if I can).

Having said that, as an owner who is not directly affected, I would never support compensation for such an event, nor would I expect it if it happened to me. Many responders have compared it to injury, and I have to agree. This stuff is what makes this "game" of fantasy football so unpredictible, frustrating at times and, ultimately, addictive.
"I don't care! I ain't no monument to justice!"
Homer J
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby BGbootha » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:38 pm

Homer J wrote: This stuff is what makes this "game" of fantasy football so unpredictible, frustrating at times and, ultimately, addictive.

Bingo! ;-D
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Ricky

Postby Daddymike59 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:53 pm

As an owner or past owner of Williams I have to agree with Flux. I made the trade and or pick(s) to get him I now have to pay the consequeces of having put too much stock in 1 player. My already weak rb corps just got demolished(KEEPER LG) now Cmart and Chris Brown are my studs. EEK. with any luck greg Jones will bust into the league soon, until then watch the wire and pay close attention to pre-season and DEAL with it. I have to.

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Vlad the Impaler_ffc » Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:40 pm

I agree with Columbo. The analogy to NFL teams getting compensated for lost FAs is off base. The Dolphins did not lose a FA to another team, the guy retired. The Fins will get nothing in compensation, so neither should fantasy owners.
Vengeance is mine.
Vlad the Impaler_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Calyxes » Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:22 pm

I had Ricky i know I am not going to see any comp. picks. Its a bad deal but you have to move on.
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby FourthandLong » Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:24 pm

im in a keeper league witha 4 figure jackpot. i traded my depth and my 2005 draft for ricky and randy 2 weeks ago. basically now i have no depth and no draft for next year. (and charlie garner as my #2 rb)

nothign oculd have predicted this, but at least we arent the dolphins. fantasy football is supposed to closely replicate a gm's job in the nfl. losing ricky and getting no comp would be what the dolphins are dealing with. and tehy are playing with much bigger sums of money than any of us...

NO COMPENSATION. SUCK IT UP.
owner of the Toss to Moss aka Deuce is Loose franchise in the SFL Keeper League Season VI
FourthandLong
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby chaindog35 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:35 pm

I agree it sucks, and it probably just lost me $40, but I don't think it's fair to penalize other teams for ricky's move. Just suck it up and go on or give up and quit playing fantasy football.
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Previous

Return to Football Talk