Dilemma - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dilemma

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby houstonherdfan » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:50 pm

dude you in a delemma. My wife understands about my football (in fact she has a little plaque that says "We Now Interrupt This Marriage For Football Season"). She still would be pissed about the wedding but she would get over it. Go do your draft you already bent around her dad's . I like the idea of doing a nite out with her the nite before or the weekend before.

She will be pissed but once she gets to her fathers party with you she should realize that you are accomidating to her and should be less pissed. It helps that it is the next day.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby caneblood » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:03 pm

Gosh - you guys are much more thoughtful than me (and certainly more willing to compromise).

Guess that's why I'm divorced ;-D
caneblood
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Warpigs » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:18 pm

caneblood wrote:Gosh - you guys are much more thoughtful than me (and certainly more willing to compromise).

Guess that's why I'm divorced ;-D

Are you living in Asia with Ricky? ;-)

Any more advice on dealing with spouses/significant others while maintaining your manhood through sports?

I get the grunts each time the TV belts out the SportsCenter jingle.

Overall, I guess the best route is to find a compromise here. The really sucky thing is just that I was pumped about changing the draft day originally and making everyone happy -- which results in me being happy. Another great dilemma I'm in.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

weddings

Postby Daddymike59 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:57 pm

Pigs ya can't send your pregnant wife to a wedding by herself. You got to give something to get something. A FFL rule of thumb. You are gonna spend the rest of your life with this woman. It can be fruitful and good or miserable and bad. Guess which one it will be if you don't go to that wedding. Tough call but the end justifies the means.

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:06 pm

Another desperation idea is just to find a TRUSTED friend to draft for you. We'd had something like that in our work baseball leagues and the people who had their teams drafted for them finished second one year and the other guy is second so far this year so they didn't fare too badly.

Another idea might be to work on father in law, perhaps even invite him along? I can recall some issues where father in law's birthdays may be more important to the ladies tossing the party and, if he can add his weight to yours, it might work out.

I can't imagine being able to IM your way through a draft remotely unless you, and someone who's there, have text pagers or something like that...
AcidRock23
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Trap » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:27 am

Warpigs if I were you I would not attend that wedding. You already did the right thing by having the draft day changed when it conflicted with your father's birthday. Your wife will always be your number one priority and she should see the effort that you made to be there on her fathers birthday.

The wedding would be nice to attend but sadly it comes at an inconvenient time for you. Your wife should understand how important this day is for you and be okay with you missing her co-workers wedding. It is afterall thier day not yours. Send your best wishes and blessings along with your wife and enjoy your day bonding with your friends. I was married a few years ago and I barely remember all of those that attended. Of course, I would have my wife tell them I could not get out of work or some other little white lie.

Oh and for the record my wife said she would allow me to skip the wedding.
Trap
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:32 pm

Wow. I only see 2 options out of this thing: murder/suicide pact or flash cloning yourself. Since the first option will result in missing the draft anyways, you gotta clone yourself. Hey, they did it with sheep, so humans aren't that far off right? Clone goes to wedding, you go to draft, everyone is happy. You then kill the clone and destroy all evidence. Its fool proof. In all seriousness, looks like you'll have to bite the bullet. Go to the wedding, take whatever pick is left from the tournament, stay at the reception long enough to meet the bride and groom, and then book it home and catch the draft. See if they can wait the start of the draft until you are there. Tough luck man. Wait whats that sound (whip crack) Just kidding man :-b
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BigMusky » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:45 pm

You guys are missing the obvious solution, neither one of you go to the wedding. If you are not her best friend she will probably not even care. I had friends miss my wedding and I did not care, there will be plenty of other people for her to hang out with. Just send a nice card.

You do need to stand up for yourself on this one though. I hate all my friends that have become pussy whipped and we quit inviting them into the league.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Flux » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:51 pm

Never, EVER piss off a pregnant woman, thats the most important advice here :-o

Compromise looks like the only possible scenario here. You said you already got a first round bye in the Madden tourny, so where would that put you w/ draft picks? I assume w/ a bye, you no longer have to take the last draft spots, and if enough people are bumped off, you still could be in good shape if you end up w/ a top 7 pick (ensuring one of the stud RBs).

As mentioned before, try and get them to push everything back as far as possible, and have them try to save your madden games for the last ones to be played in each round.

But of course, trying to get them to push it back may be worthless if your wife says leaving the wedding early is a no-no. So obviously find out how she feels before you proceed w/ anything for the draft.

I think you should set up a paypal account, ill donate $1 to you so you can try to get some cash to pay for that keg :-b (im sure others would to)

Everyone needs to learn from this. If the draft falls on father-in-laws bday, make sure immediately that your wife knows you changed the date of your draft for it, and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES, no matter the occasion, that day is off-limits.

Women just dont get that

men : women

as

a live ff draft w/ friends, food and beer : the womans own wedding

:-b
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nebula » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:17 pm

Glad to hear that significant others have the same dislike for football season. My girlfriend is not looking forward to football season, but since she is starting grad school she should be busy anyway.

There has been some good advice here. Basically it does seem like a no win situation. I'm sure you'll work it out. (At least you don’t have Ricky as your franchise player! :-o :-t :-o :-o )

Do you know who the first two (or so) Madden opponents that you play? Can you get together with them and play before? This could save you some time, and everyone-else wouldn't have to sit around and watch anyway. Don't know if this really solves anything just thought it was worth adding.
Keepers League:
P Manning, J Flacco
LT2, C Portis, T Hightower, S Greene, D Brown
M Colston, Q, D Jax, MSW, B Tate, M Wallace,
J Carlson, D Keller
N Keding
Chi
nebula
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner