Dilemma - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dilemma

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:19 pm

this is probably the best bet yet. If she's pregnant, she will probably be gassed pretty quickly.

BigMusky wrote:You guys are missing the obvious solution, neither one of you go to the wedding. If you are not her best friend she will probably not even care. I had friends miss my wedding and I did not care, there will be plenty of other people for her to hang out with. Just send a nice card.

You do need to stand up for yourself on this one though. I hate all my friends that have become pussy whipped and we quit inviting them into the league.
AcidRock23
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby prodonut » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:44 pm

dude..musky kinda hit that one right. if the person's wedding isnt a CLOSE relative or a lifelong/very close friend....ef it..but if you HAVE to go..all that matters is the draft..who cares if you draft 12th..if it saves u drama..its all good.
prodonut
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby thechill » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:24 pm

man I'm glad I finally got my girlfriend into playing FF. Now she doesn't mind when I have my 2 live drafts at the bar.

My .02 cents worth

1. see if the wife would be willing to only stay at the reception for a short period of time. If she is willing then do the following.

Beg, Pled or what ever it takes to have your league start at 2 instead of noon. If this is like my drafts we always get started late. At least a half hour. So now you have pushed the draft back almost 2 1/2 hours.

Ask if you can have a stand in just in case you do not make it abck in time for your first round in Madden. You said you would have a bye in the first round so you wouldn't play until for a 1 1/2 hours. That puts you at around 4 o'clock. By that time the wedding should be over and you will be at the reception.

Have your friend (make sure he is good at Madden) play your first round. Make sure you are out of the reception by 4:30. So you have spent 30 to 45 minutes at the reception. That is enough time to mingle and have your face recognized as being there.

A quick drive to the house to drop of the wife and on to your draft. Hopefully the reception area is close to where you live. You could be back to your draft by 5pm and playing the next round of Madden.

Finish the rest of the night as you had planned.

This might work. Your wife gets what she wants (the wedding) you get what you want (almost a full draft day).

I would suggest going to Bath and Body and get some things she can pamper herself with. (bubble bath, shower gel, etc...). Present it to her right before you leave for the wedding. this way she will look foward to it when she gets home and won't be as mad when you end up darting out the door.

I hope every thing works out. The fantasy football season is great, but nothing is beter than the draft. It is something I look forward every year.
thechill
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Warpigs » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:32 pm

Flux wrote:I think you should set up a paypal account, ill donate $1 to you so you can try to get some cash to pay for that keg :-b (im sure others would to)

Everyone needs to learn from this. If the draft falls on father-in-laws bday, make sure immediately that your wife knows you changed the date of your draft for it, and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES, no matter the occasion, that day is off-limits.

Women just dont get that

men : women

as

a live ff draft w/ friends, food and beer : the womans own wedding

:-b

Dude, I'm touched you guys would help raise funds for a keg. I'll be talking to my wife tomorrow (Thursday) about the situation in detail and will undoubtedly know my fate then.

I do admit that I'm impressed with the views here. Anyone else want to comment on the whole aspect of making an obsession with fantasy sports and a healthy marriage co-exist?
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby bagobonez » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:26 pm

Well if there's one thing I've learned in 2 years of marriage, is that if you make the wife feel like she's #1, you can get away with alot more.

Unfortunately, to make her feel like she's #1, you're going to have to go to the wedding.

On the other side, you DID already move the day once. I mean, there comes a point where you gotta consider yourself right?

The bottom line is this. Let's say you decide to skip the wedding. Are you going to be thinking about being in the dog-house all day? Are you even going to be able to enjoy the Madden day? If not, then there's no point. Take your lumps, go to the wedding, and get back ASAP.

I'd suggest trying to skip the reception if at all possible. You can still sign your name on the Guest Book that way the bride knows you actually showed.

Compromise, compromise, compromise.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:54 pm

If she's like my wife, she'll never understand the importance of fantasy football and that's magnified a hundred-fold when she's pregnant.
You only have one out - take your power saw, cut off one arm and dial 9-1-1, then have the guys come and do the draft in your hospital room. It's a small price to pay for fantasy football and a happy wife.
;-)
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Warpigs » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:21 am

Just wanted to give you all an update. I've had several requests for one. It actually panned out amazingly well thanks to several factors...

It became obvious that I'd be going to the wedding for the wedding itself and perhaps a few minutes of the reception. Of course, this put a whole in the middle of my draft festivities and made things a little more difficult for the others in our league.

Our Commish, who is a really good guy, knew how important it was for me to be there for the full day of activities and just this past weekend decided to change the draft day a week later (Sept 5). As soon as he did this, I talked with my wife and together we highlighted Sept 5 on our calendar with black permanent marker as a day that I'm totally out of action. Short of my wife going into labor two months early, I'll be there with bells on and an X-box controller in my hand. Now all I need is to find a used X-box to buy so I can practice up with the new Madden game.

Thanks all for the feedback -- I think this thread hit one usually overlooked component of fantasy football -- the need to have a life outside of the game and balancing both! ;-D

Again, major Kudos, as well, to our commish.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby 34=Sweetness » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:29 am

Wow, you got really lucky! Have fun.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Flux » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:11 am

Wp can go! congratz! :-b

thats awesome, im sure you are extremely pumped up now that you participate in this. Although, i assume this now means you have to go to the WHOLE wedding and reception :-o
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Warpigs » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:19 am

Flux wrote:Wp can go! congratz! :-b

thats awesome, im sure you are extremely pumped up now that you participate in this. Although, i assume this now means you have to go to the WHOLE wedding and reception :-o

I am pumped!!!

And as far as the wedding, there will be a keg or two around, so I'm not worried.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk