Fantasy Football demographics? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fantasy Football demographics?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fantasy Football demographics?

Postby Vidkun » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:14 pm

Hey guys,

I'm doing a presentation that involves the demographics of Fantasy Football players and was curious if any of you know about a site or link that carries reliable statistics.

I'm just looking for the basics, such as age range, gender, location. Any leads are appreciated.

Thanks,
Vid
Vidkun
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Postby houstonherdfan » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:38 pm

there are over 5300 members here. Ask what info you want and most would prolly reply. 5300 should give you decent statistical significance.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby caneblood » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:16 pm

It would certainly give you statistically significant stats about who posts on fantasy football message boards - which would probably have some overlap with the general fantasy football community. But it definitely wouldn't be reliable for getting a statistically accurate picture of the greater community. Maybe there are certain characteristics that make some people more likely to post. Probably posters are more hard core so you may not be getting a good picture of the casual players (which may be a more diverse group in terms of gender, ethnicity and age than the hard core group.)
caneblood
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Vidkun » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:38 pm

caneblood wrote:It would certainly give you statistically significant stats about who posts on fantasy football message boards - which would probably have some overlap with the general fantasy football community. But it definitely wouldn't be reliable for getting a statistically accurate picture of the greater community. Maybe there are certain characteristics that make some people more likely to post. Probably posters are more hard core so you may not be getting a good picture of the casual players (which may be a more diverse group in terms of gender, ethnicity and age than the hard core group.)

Message boards might be a good start, yes, but I am looking for a statistical picture of the greater community (including hardcore players of course). I looked around on some of the big sites like Yahoo and such, but there's no report on demographics.

If anyone knows of where I can find one please let me know.

Thanks,
Vid
Vidkun

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:31 pm

There was a big article in SI about fantasy sports a couple or 3 weeks ago which was interesting. I am pretty sure that the demographics they reported were that it is overwhelmingly the province of youngish males. I'm just saying 'youngish' b/c at 37 I do not really consider myself 'young' but well, you know...20-30 year old males. I don't recall the exact numbers or if I'd seen it online but you should be able to get the mag at the library....
AcidRock23
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Vidkun » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:08 pm

Was that this month's issue or one in the past?

-vid
Vidkun

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:02 pm

SI= weekly, I'd dig the issue out but inlaws are coming for a visit and I just tossed the older ones out in the recycling!!
AcidRock23
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby shortsavage » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:28 am

Acidrock23 wrote:There was a big article in SI about fantasy sports a couple or 3 weeks ago which was interesting. I am pretty sure that the demographics they reported were that it is overwhelmingly the province of youngish males. I'm just saying 'youngish' b/c at 37 I do not really consider myself 'young' but well, you know...20-30 year old males. I don't recall the exact numbers or if I'd seen it online but you should be able to get the mag at the library....

I was going to mention this! They talked about Meatloaf and his teams too. I think it was the May 24th issue with Clemens on the cover ;-D .
Last edited by shortsavage on Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you Tiki!
shortsavage Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:59 am

Yikes, I wasn't even close! It was a pretty interesting article though. Unfortunately, I am suspecting that addictive popularity + centralization of media outlets is going to = more expenses for us soon...

shortsavage wrote:

I was going to mention this! They talked about Meatloaf and his team's too. I think it was the May 24th issue with Clemens on the cover ;-D .
AcidRock23
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Football Talk