The importance of the waiver? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The importance of the waiver?

Moderator: Football Moderators

The importance of the waiver?

Postby tmandpimp » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:54 am

so if i draft a stud team (or not), how important is it for me to watch the no names such as boldin come out and try to get them during the season. if your team is strong, how much should you risk dropping a solid backup for someone who could (and i say COULD) be good just for having a spectacular week?
tmandpimp
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:38 pm

I think that it is inevitable that at least some of your late round guys will end up not panning out and that even if you have mostly studs, it is inevitable that you will get some guys who are not living up to their predictions at the same time there will be other dudes (e.g. Bulger last year...I got him on waivers after watching Warner get killed the first week...) who were off of the radar who nonetheless will turn into producers.

W/ the streaky nature of sports, you have to be careful that you are not riding a bunch of easy matchups for your guys before they roll up against better teams or whatever. Those kind of things can flip you around in no time.

The other motive is that if you have a dude who's a backup stud, maybe Najeh Davenport or something like that, and a breakout guy pops up, it may be to your advantage to get the breakerouter before your competition does, defensive waivers as it were.
AcidRock23
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BuckyGator » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:55 pm

Of course you've gotta weigh the benefits of a potential one-week wonder against giving up a roster spot, but avoiding the waiver cuz you think you're team is stacked would be a big mistake. Boldin, Bulger, Dom. Davis, Rudi Johnson, Brian Westbrook...all these guys were waiver-wire pick ups in many leagues last year. There aren't many fantasy teams out there that wouldn't benefit from having some of these guys. So you gotta look at the situation, for example jumping on a Mungro when you know Edge will be back doesn't make sense, but if you're getting a legit starter like Dom. Davis, why not go for it?
QB: Warner, Brees
RB: SJax, Dunn, Gore, Barlow, Maroney
WR: Steve Smith, Driver, Walker, Reg. Brown, Williamson, Wilford
TE: Winslow
K: Wilkins
D: Cincy
D: Matchups
BuckyGator
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Football Talk