IDP players---tell me about Keith Brooking - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

IDP players---tell me about Keith Brooking

Moderator: Football Moderators

IDP players---tell me about Keith Brooking

Postby nsulham » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:23 pm

I just acquired Brooking for Jamal Lewis in my 10 team $ league. Before you say I've lost my mind let me explain.

We're only allowed to keep 1 offensive player and 1 defensive. I already have Priest so Jamal was just going to go back into the player pool for the draft.

My defense was a little thin and I didn't have anyone I was excited about keeping (Derrick Brooks was my holdover last year but his declining numbers scare me.) So I targeted the guy who was going to keep Ricky Williams, figuring he could use another keeper option. He got the offensive keeper he needs and I got the defensive keeper I needed.

Now that that's out of the way, what do y'all know about Brooking? Looking at his numbers he's hella consistent, even though the sack numbers aren't great. I've read Mora Jr. moved him back to weakside in order to get more out of his abilities so maybe that will mean more sacks. Everything I've read though has him as a stud LB. Everyone agree?
New England Patriots
The 53-man Dynasty
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheHeat24 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:44 pm

You just made his team better by basically giving him a stud RB... A defensive player is just a defensive player unless its Ray Lewis who is far above the rest... I woulda kept Derrick Brooks... Keith Brooking made his money off of tackles and now that hes not in the middle his tackle count should be reduced big time...

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby nsulham » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:00 pm

TheHeat24 wrote:You just made his team better by basically giving him a stud RB... A defensive player is just a defensive player unless its Ray Lewis who is far above the rest... I woulda kept Derrick Brooks... Keith Brooking made his money off of tackles and now that hes not in the middle his tackle count should be reduced big time...

Heat, I wouldn't exactly say I gave him away for nothing. The guy I made the trade with has a high pick in the first round so chances are good he would have got Jamal anyways. All the cheat sheets and ranking I've seen have Brooking rated higher than Brooks. Like I said, on the outside it may look like a head scratcher but since we're not allowed to trade players for picks, getting something for a guy I can't keep is better than getting nothing.

As far as the losing tackles because he's out of the middle, I'd have to disagree. Brooking's a ball hawk, he'll find the ball wherever it is. If anything, his tackle numbers might go down a bit but his sack numbers should go up so it evens out.
New England Patriots
The 53-man Dynasty
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheHeat24 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:05 pm

Your not getting nothing if you let him go... you are ebnsuring that one more quality player slips to you at your spot... now he doesnt have to take Jamal Lewis with his pick and he can draft another good player... Do you understand what im sayin? Its the kind of like making your team better by making his team worse... Hypothetically (becasue I dont know the teams and keepers in your league) It could be the difference of you getting Edge or Marshall Faulk...

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby nsulham » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:10 pm

TheHeat24 wrote:Your not getting nothing if you let him go... you are ebnsuring that one more quality player slips to you at your spot... now he doesnt have to take Jamal Lewis with his pick and he can draft another good player... Do you understand what im sayin? Its the kind of like making your team better by making his team worse... Hypothetically (becasue I dont know the teams and keepers in your league) It could be the difference of you getting Edge or Marshall Faulk...

Yeah I know what you're saying. Guess we'll just have to see what happens.
New England Patriots
The 53-man Dynasty
nsulham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby FourthandLong » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:18 pm

brooking gets crazy amounts of solo tackles. he doesnt get much else tho. but ive had him for the last 2 seasons and have him again this year. there are alwasy one week studs who get 8-10 tackles...but this guy will give you that every week. one of the few reliable decent point scorers on d
owner of the Toss to Moss aka Deuce is Loose franchise in the SFL Keeper League Season VI
FourthandLong
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Football Talk