Chris Chambers theory - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chris Chambers theory

Moderator: Football Moderators

Chris Chambers theory

Postby Besaid_Aurochs » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:24 pm

Okay, now that Ricky is gone, the fins are going to have to rely more on their passing game, which leads to more touches by chambers. I had chambers ranked at 19th overall, but I think this changes things - i think it could put him close to the likes of price or even moss (santana, of course). Anyone like this theory or is it trash?
Besaid_Aurochs
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby VaderFin » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:35 pm

To me, Chambers value comes down more to who the QB will be more then anything else. If it's Fiedler don't expect a big difference in stats...the guy has heart but absolutely no arm. If it's Feeley then there is a good chance that Chambers goes over the 1000 yard mark for the first time at around 1100 yards...Feeley has a much better arm then Fiedler and Chambers was open several times last year deep only to have the ball come nowhere near him...Feeley may make those throws.

I'll know alot more once camp opens up how things are looking.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Besaid_Aurochs » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:44 pm

yeah i was assuming feeley would be the QB. Hope so, for my teams sake :-B
Besaid_Aurochs
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby portisfan24 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:10 pm

id keep him about where he is. defenses will not be respecting the run at all so there will be a lot of nickel and dime packages thrown at boston chambers and mcmike. plus the qb is either feeley or fiedler.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:28 pm

portisfan24 wrote:id keep him about where he is. defenses will not be respecting the run at all so there will be a lot of nickel and dime packages thrown at boston chambers and mcmike. plus the qb is either feeley or fiedler.

Teams are going to throw nickel and dime coverage at the Fins when they come out on first down with a TE, HB and FB, and 2 WRs?? I don't care who is running the ball you do that and any team would have alot of success. Maybe now the Fins will throw on the early downs more now instead of giving it to Ricky every time.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wolverine » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:08 pm

I was thinking a lot about Chris Chambers today driving home from work and was thinking the same thing. It would not be surprising at all to see two things happen now that Ricky has announced his retirement:

A) Dolphins average attempts per game increases by 5-7 per game. At a 57% completion average that's about 3-4 more catches to go around, most notably to the WR corps.

B) A.J. Feely would likely win the starting job because he is more of a downfield passer. With this being the case, look for the yards per catch to possibly increase a little since they won't be the dink-and-dunk variety.

Even if teams do line up in nickel and dime packages, let's not forget that Chambers and Boston make up possibly the most physical WR corps in the NFL right now. Tack onto that the 5-yard rule and they have even more going in their favor.

I think the Fins will find a way to have a somewhat respectable rushing attack. It certainly won't be with the likes of a Ricky replacement but I think they will do ok. I think they need to figure out how to use swing passes to Minor as a type of "rush". The coaching staff is going to be challenged to cater their offensive playbook to their personnel now, not just give it to Ricky 35 times per game with the occasional pass mixed in. Let's not forget that A.J. Feeley is a student of Andy Reid and the West Coast Offense. While I know the Fins don't have the personnel for the WCO either, they may look to steal a few pages out of the playbook for 2004.
Wolverine
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Azrael » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:11 pm

Actually, a weaker running game will hurt the passing game. Alot of the best passing teams had excellent running games last year...Chiefs, Packers, Vikings, San Fran, Seattle. Plus Boston will take a much bigger share of looks away from Chambers than Derrius Thompson did. Chambers and Boston are basically like a 1 and 1A receivers. I think you actually downgrade Chambers a little bit with the developing situation in Miami.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Wolverine » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:24 pm

However, let's also not forget that you don't have to have a great running game to be an effective passing team. Eddie George didn't exactly scare any defenses last year, he just had to make defenses cheat up enough to respect the run. Eddie's ypc was horrendous last year at like a 3.3 ypc, that's not exactly what I would call effective.

A.J. Feeley is certainly no Steve McNair but I think everyone is ruling out the possibility that the Fins won't be able to find a way to win games. Given the right opportunities, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Sammie Morris and Travis Minor find a way to be productive enough to make defenses respect the run or quick dump-off pass. Minor has one of the softest pair of hands at RB across the league.
Wolverine
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:36 pm

VaderFin wrote:To me, Chambers value comes down more to who the QB will be more then anything else. If it's Fiedler don't expect a big difference in stats...the guy has heart but absolutely no arm. If it's Feeley then there is a good chance that Chambers goes over the 1000 yard mark for the first time at around 1100 yards...Feeley has a much better arm then Fiedler and Chambers was open several times last year deep only to have the ball come nowhere near him...Feeley may make those throws.

I'll know alot more once camp opens up how things are looking.

I dunno, Chambers seemed to put up much better FF numbers when Fiedler has been in the lineup in the past, the problem has been that Fiedler can never stay healthy for an entire year.

Last year, in the 5 games when Fiedler was hurt, Chambers put up a combined 240yds and 2 TD's. Which adds up to roughly 48yds and 0.4 td's per game, or about 7 fantasy points per game.

In the other 11 games, Chambers put up 723 yds and 9 TD's, which adds up to roughly 66yds and .82 td's per game, or about 11.5 fantasy points per game, which I'd take out of my #2/#3 WR anyday.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

chambers

Postby Superman in Training » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:39 pm

It depends on who the fins get, but if they have a sub par RB and no running game then it will hurt everyone.
It use to be you have to establish the run and then you can bomb down the field, now you can bomb the field and then run all over them, but if you have no one to run ever then you can do neither. Meaning if WR is all they have then that is all a Defense will key up on. Will they throw a dime package on 1st down? Of course not, but they will still play for the pass at all times. Just like when they put 8 in the box when all a team has is a RB. The difference with that is that a good RB will get his numbers anyway, but there are too many variables in the air to make it help WR. There are more lone wolf stub RBs then there are lone wolf stud WRs.
Superman in Training
Head Coach
Head Coach

Web Supporter

Next

Return to Football Talk