Carson Palmer:+ or - Chad and Rudi - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Carson Palmer:+ or - Chad and Rudi

Moderator: Football Moderators

Carson Palmer:+ or - Chad and Rudi

Postby Bears_Fan » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:16 pm

Obviously being the top pick and having unquestionable phsyical abilites, Palmer may eventually be a good qb, but the question is when. Few remember that Jon Kitna had suprisingly strong numbers and was likely a top 10 qb in most leagues. Very few great qbs have had amazing rookie years, and a slow start out of the gates in a 16 games season could seriously undermine warrick/C. johnson/and rudi's value. Rudi is talented, but the bengals may have trouble running if they can't consistently pass. Palmer not Kitna is the future of this team and will stay regardless of mistakes, therefore this season could offensively be a long one.
Beware of Booker with the Grossman
Bears_Fan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Carson Palmer:+ or - Chad and Rudi

Postby Football Newbie » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:20 pm

Bears_Fan wrote:Obviously being the top pick and having unquestionable phsyical abilites, Palmer may eventually be a good qb, but the question is when. Few remember that Jon Kitna had suprisingly strong numbers and was likely a top 10 qb in most leagues. Very few great qbs have had amazing rookie years, and a slow start out of the gates in a 16 games season could seriously undermine warrick/C. johnson/and rudi's value. Rudi is talented, but the bengals may have trouble running if they can't consistently pass. Palmer not Kitna is the future of this team and will stay regardless of mistakes, therefore this season could offensively be a long one.

Actually, i think almost everyone remembers that. There is alot of love for kitna here, for his class and leadership abilities. I think it was right to start Palmer, being that he could be an all-time great, while kitna cant. I dont think Palmers numbers will be good (lots of ints) but i dont think the surrounding cast should be hit too hard.
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Monty » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:23 pm

IMO Palmer wont affect the stats enough of C.Johnson or R.Johnson to change the spot where i will pick them in the draft.
- AKA Monty in the FBC (bet you didn't see that one comin')
Monty
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby prodonut » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:32 pm

to be honest..due to cinci's strength of schedule..im not getting myself involved with any of them....esp IF palmer fails( he will have a 4 game shot before they pull him) the passing game could suffer & rudi may be the focus of defenses..........
prodonut
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BuckyGator » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:33 pm

Having both Rudi and CJ, I'm more than a little concerned with this. However, I don't think it's gonna be a major problem for two related reasons. The Bengals know Kitna can perform and lead the team. They also have high expections (for the Bengals anyways) Therefore, if Palmer struggles so much that it actually is hurting Rudi/CJ/Warrick's numbers, and by extension the team, I highly doubt Kitna will remain on the bench. So, either Palmer does ok and everyone's number are ok. Or Palmer sucks for a few weeks, the others' numbers suffer, the coaches bring Kitna in, and the numbers go up. Either way, Rudi/CJ/Warrick should be fine - IMO it's only a small concern, not a major red flag.
QB: Warner, Brees
RB: SJax, Dunn, Gore, Barlow, Maroney
WR: Steve Smith, Driver, Walker, Reg. Brown, Williamson, Wilford
TE: Winslow
K: Wilkins
D: Cincy
D: Matchups
BuckyGator
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Turnip » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:03 pm

Palmer is a very talented quarterback who has had a year to learn from Jon Kitna and the coaches. Palmer, like most rookies, will probably be inconsistent, but I highly doubt defenses are going to cheat to stop Rudi. Palmer's STRONG arm always makes him a threat to launch one down field. That has to be respected on most every play. The home-run threat Palmer has, especially paired with CJ, causes me not to worry about Rudi at all.

As for Chad, I expect him to improve as a player this year. I would expect his personal improvement to balance out the inconsistencies and growing pains of Palmer.

It also must be pointed out that if Palmer struggles to the extent that he is costing the Bengals games, ML will not hesitate to bring in Kitna.
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:09 pm

I still see Rudi as being overvalued in the 2nd rd.

I see Palmer and the Bengals throwing often against some of those Ds.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Vlad the Impaler_ffc » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:20 pm

Palmer may end up being a great QB, but I think it is naive to think he will come in right away and perform at the level Kitna was performing at last year. He will struggle for sure at the beginning, and hopefully improve as the season goes on.

This impacts the value of CJ more than Rudi. WR is a completely dependent position, and if the QB can't deliver the ball on time, the WR is going to suck. A struggling QB also impacts a RB, but in a more indirect way (stacked fronts, etc.). I would be surprised if CJ matched his terrific numbers from last year.
Vengeance is mine.
Vlad the Impaler_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Football Talk