Are defenses going to early? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Are defenses going to early?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby slowkidz » Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:21 pm

Pop, Pop Goes da Weasal, da Weasal!!!

hehehe...3rd Bass....classic song/video!!! nice find!!! ;-D

(p.s. I wouldn't mind squarin off against da Pupp...hehehe)
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dazedncnfz » Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:59 pm

hummm....I got to say I wouldn't mind taking on the DAWG either!....get ready!....."Its time to play the Game!"

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JayM09 » Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:59 pm

Guttpuppy wrote:The scoring system of your league also weighs heavily on when you should select a defense.

Great point GP. In my opinion this is biggest factor is deciding whether or not to take a d with an early pick.
JayM09
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dazedncnfz » Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:05 pm

no matter what the scoring system is I don't think a D should be taken any earlier then the 5th round....if you want to ensure youself of a good D you should be picking them between the 5th and 7th rounds....then again if your leagues scoring for D is down right useless, then don' pick then till the end...use the wire all year if you have to!

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Petey » Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:05 pm

Wow GP, you are old...lol. Actually MC Search is a DJ on a morning show here in Detroit. IT IS NOT A GAME! That's not for you DnC it's his call on the radio. Give the weez the GASFACE! j/k. I think it's up to the individual on the D. If you can draft a strong team and get the D you want in the 3rd or 4th round then more power to you. I get them around the 8-10th round myself and have won 2 out of 3 years so go figure.

BTW, I too would like to put my Puma's up against the Dawgs!
Petey
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby VIPER » Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:54 am

I don't think I would draft a D. early either.......but........u never know!!!!! G.P. I would like a little of that action too....when u get the balll rolling on it!! ;-D
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby fntsyrookie » Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:42 am

VIPER wrote:I don't think I would draft a D. early either.......but........u never know!!!!! G.P. I would like a little of that action too....when u get the balll rolling on it!! ;-D

LOL!! Well I'm thinking I want in on the action too. I don't remember much about economics, but from what I've gathered so far we have a huge demand. Gutt I'm guessing only has a limited supply. This is going to create a shortage...usually prices then go up. What will happen here I wonder? Stay tuned...
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:55 am

Wow.
Hammered!
But that's OK. I can take it.
And - I probably deserve it to boot!
I was just asking for it.
My bad. My bad.

Note To The Weasel: Post before you crack 6 or 8 Coors. OK?
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The Sandwich » Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:26 pm

Ok, I hear the argument but listen to my situation. I am in a huge (16 team keeper league) Last year noone picked a DE higher then the 6th round, yet of the top 15 scorers in the league, defenses are like 10 of them. I admit that DE's should not go very early, but I love picking up a few extra in late rounds because you really don't know who is going to be good beyond a few. Look at Chicago and Carolina this past year. DE's are the high scorers and late round picks rarely pan out in my league. So picking one up prior to round 8 and then scavenging the left overs with late picks makes sense. No? :-B
The Sandwich
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Indy Dragons » Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:52 pm

I might get a little technical in this post, and probably a little sideways, but try to stay with me!

Facts:
16 team league
~10 of top 15 scorers are D/STs

Question:
Do you take one early or not?

Answer:
No, but maybe YES.

Reasoning:
Here is an example:
1. D/ST - 400 points
2. QB - 390 points
3. RB - 380 points
4. D/ST - 370 points
5. D/ST - 360 points
6. D/ST - 350 points
7. D/ST - 340 points
8. D/ST - 330 points
9. QB - 320 points
10. RB - 310 points
11. D/ST - 300 points
12. D/ST - 290 points
13. D/ST - 280 points
14. TE - 270 points
15. D/ST - 260 points
16. RB - 250 points
17. D/ST - 240 points
18. D/ST - 230 points
19. QB - 220 points
20. RB - 210 points
21. D/ST - 200 points
22. D/ST - 190 points
23. D/ST - 180 points
24. RB - 170 points
25. D/ST - 160 points

The difference between the first and the 16th D/ST, in this example, is a whopping 240 points. But the difference in the first and 16th RB and/or QB is going to be much, much more. You have to go with the best value on the board at the time you draft. I never get the first D/ST, and if I miss the first run of them, then I wait a few extra rounds, to pick up my defense.

I would hardly ever draft a D/ST before the 10th round (1st half of the draft), because the gap in scoring from the 1st team to the 12th (in my leagues) are not usually that much, whereas in most of my leagues I must start two RBs, and two WRs - and the difference in the top ones to the 24th to 30th is incredible.

One thing I'll mention, that I tried to pick up between the lines of your post, that may impact this decision. It sounds like each team can draft as many D/STs as they want. Since you have 16 teams in the league and there are 32 teams in the NFL, I was thinking each team would be limited to two D/STs max. IF you can actually draft three or four D/STs, then a good strategy maybe to pick up a few 'good' D/STs early, then a few scrubs D/STs later. Let's say you have four D/STs on your team, that means at least three teams in your league only have one, if one of those teams have a pretty bad D/ST, you should be able to trade one of yours to them and get pretty good value out of them!
Indy Dragons
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk