Niners have a coach ! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Niners have a coach !

Moderator: Football Moderators

Niners have a coach !

Postby Homeless » Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:26 pm

PORTLAND, Ore. - Oregon State head coach Dennis Erickson has taken the job of head coach for the San Francisco 49ers (news), Oregon State University confirmed Tuesday.

Hal Cowan, sports information director at OSU, confirmed the news, but would not comment further.

Erickson, 55, was among several candidates being considered to replace Steve Mariucci. Defensive coordinators Jim Mora Jr. of San Francisco, Ted Cottrell of the New York Jets (news) and Greg Blache of the Chicago Bears (news) all had second interviews last week.

The 49ers general manager, longtime UCLA coach Terry Donahue, was also considering Oregon coach Mike Bellotti, Erickson and Washington coach Rick Neuheisel.

Erickson coached the Seattle Seahawks (news) from 1995-98, when the team was 31-33. He went 31-17 at Oregon State with a 1-2 bowl record.

Erickson won a national title at the University of Miami, going 63-9 with a 3-3 bowl record in six seasons.

Anyone surprised at this move ? what do you guys think of Erickson ?
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby fntsyrookie » Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:21 pm

To be perfectly honest I've never heard of him. Of course I don't follow college football very much.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Dazedncnfz » Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:29 pm

Dammet Homey!!!!!...I didn't see this post and I posted it up in gen talk!!!!...oh well theres a like to the artical there too

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:06 pm

Dazedncnfz wrote:Dammet Homey!!!!!...I didn't see this post and I posted it up in gen talk!!!!...oh well theres a like to the artical there too

Youre always behind me when it comes to breaking news Dazey :-)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby slowkidz » Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:22 pm

Homeless wrote:Youre always behind me when it comes to breaking news Dazey :-)

that...or maybe he's got a thing for that purple-spotted walkin thing ur showing there homey!! ;-)
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby JayM09 » Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:37 pm

i wonder how he and TO will get along?
JayM09
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:22 pm

thats a bit out of the blue... i expected it to take a little longer and i hadnt even heard that guys name mentioned! 8-o
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DUKE » Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:31 am

Yeah Terp, that came out of nowhere. The Niners have looked pretty silly ever since they fired Mariucci, but I've always thought Erickson could be a good Nfl coach. He coached some very good Miami teams back in the day, and then went to coach the Seahawks. His tenure was not very successful, but nobody's been too successful there in a while. One mistake I remember him making was drafting Rick Mirer with the 1st Rd pick, but alot of teams would have drafted him that year. I think it could turn out to be a good hire.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby Indy Dragons » Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:13 pm

:-t

I just don't think this guy is an NFL head coach! I will be very surprised if he lasts three years in SF. I think the Bears or Jets DC would have been a better choice, but I'll sit here patiently and see what happens.
Indy Dragons
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby kashikis » Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:30 pm

Erikson comes as a shock simply because they never mentioned him before, but on the grand scale he is a qualified coach. never really excelling w/ the Seahawks is they only thing wrong with this guys resume. and he was 8-8 with them. hes a great offensive coach which is the most surprising part of this deal considering i thought they would go with a defensive minded coach this year.

one thing to watch out for is Jim Mora Jr taking this personally and going to Detroit to work with Mooch again or somewhere else since his name was a high-candidate for the job hes now on the lists of other teams.
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk