Mike Williams Practices - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Mike Williams Practices

Moderator: Football Moderators

Mike Williams Practices

Postby CC » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:20 pm

Good to see him back on the field, he got a raw deal in the Clarett fiasco.

Mike Williams Practices.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:29 pm

Ya, the courts gave Mike Williams the royal screw job. The bad thing is I heard he would have to pay back all the expenses and endorsements plus the rides on his agents private jet. One estimate was over $100,000. Thats a huge amount for a college student.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby roninmedia » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:32 pm

They just put that thing on credit. Williams will get drafted and pay it all back in one swoop. THe same thing with Lebron. You know he couldn't afford that H2 in high school.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:52 pm

Ya thats what I would do. But Im not sure if it will work, because the NCAA may not allow him to play until its payed.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:53 pm

Aww, my post got moved to a forum that gets like 3 views a day.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:44 pm

I'm so tired of people saying Mike Williams got the screwjob, he went into the NFL with 100% knowledge of the risks. Before the ruling was overturned, Carroll said in an interview that he sat down with Williams and explained to him that the NFL could decide to overturn the rule and he would be screwed, Williams knew the risk and went through with it.

If you buy a scratch off ticket with 90% odds for winning, and you don't win, you don't get your money back. Williams was told there was a good chance he would be allowed into the NFL, he was never garunteed anything, he was very clear of the risk and decided to try his luck, and it didn't work out...that's life.

Further, in addition to deciding to declare, he went and signed an agent super early. Even Fitzgerald, who was in a much better situation than Williams, waited until 3 days before the draft to hire an agent. Williams again, in another risky move, hired an agent to start promoting him earlier so he could get some extra cash in the way of being drafted a couple spots higher.

He took risk after risk full well knowing the consequences the entire time, and now that the risk didn't pay off everyone calls foul. It would've been one thing to be told something other than what was true, but he was bluntly explained the risk involved and that admission to the NFL was in no way garunteed.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby TheHeat24 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:12 pm

Free Bagel wrote:I'm so tired of people saying Mike Williams got the screwjob, he went into the NFL with 100% knowledge of the risks. Before the ruling was overturned, Carroll said in an interview that he sat down with Williams and explained to him that the NFL could decide to overturn the rule and he would be screwed, Williams knew the risk and went through with it.

If you buy a scratch off ticket with 90% odds for winning, and you don't win, you don't get your money back. Williams was told there was a good chance he would be allowed into the NFL, he was never garunteed anything, he was very clear of the risk and decided to try his luck, and it didn't work out...that's life.

Further, in addition to deciding to declare, he went and signed an agent super early. Even Fitzgerald, who was in a much better situation than Williams, waited until 3 days before the draft to hire an agent. Williams again, in another risky move, hired an agent to start promoting him earlier so he could get some extra cash in the way of being drafted a couple spots higher.

He took risk after risk full well knowing the consequences the entire time, and now that the risk didn't pay off everyone calls foul. It would've been one thing to be told something other than what was true, but he was bluntly explained the risk involved and that admission to the NFL was in no way garunteed.

That was said very well and I feel the exact same way... The man knew full well that if he hired an agent that he wouldnt be able to go back...

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby IRON CHEF » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:25 pm

I'm really looking forward to seeing how his career turns out. He has a load of talent and I think he wil be very sucessful.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tim_ffc » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:52 pm

Hopefully he'll be able to play the whole season so we can have the pleasure of seeing him play.

If you're a fan of football, you'll look past the whole legal issue and want him to keep putting on a show out there. This guy has everything, except maybe some common sense.
Tim_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to College Football