Return to Cincinnati Bengals

Keiwan Ratliff Signed

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keiwan Ratliff Signed

Postby DUKE » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:44 pm

Ratliff in fold
8/5/2004 - 12:05 p.m.
BY GEOFF HOBSON

Ratliff and the Bengals have reached agreement on a contract. (AP Photo)
GEORGETOWN, Ky. - The Bengals reached a deal with second-round draft pick Keiwan Ratliff Thursday here at Georgetown College and the former University of Florida cornerback is expected to be here in time to attend some of the afternoon practice.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus confirmed the four-year deal after meeting with Bengals vice president Paul Brown Thursday morning to finalize numbers that had apparently been hung up because of a contract the Cowboys had struck with tackle Jacob Rogers, three spots behind Ratliff at No. 52.

“I knew if we could meet face-to-face, we could get it done because we’ve got a good relationship with Paul and the Bengals,” said the Miami-based Rosenhaus.

** Continued from Homepage **

Ratliff had a standout collegiate career at the University of Florida. (Andy Lyons/Getty Images)
The deal leaves first-rounder Chris Perry as the only unsigned rookie of the club’s 11 draft picks. He’ll become the first top pick not to appear at the intrasquad scrimmage since Justin Smith three years ago if he doesn’t sign by Friday night.

Rosenhaus acknowledged that the Rogers contract, a raise of about 10 percent over last year, was one of the sticking points in a contract in which the signing bonus is in the area of $1.2-1.5 million.

"Neither side was rigid and tried to be as flexible as possible," Rosenhaus said. "I hate a player missing camp, and we gave a little, and they gave a little and that's how you get deals done. I respect that this team is very disciplined and is not going to allow one deal to affect the way they do business, which is admirable. So we found some other ways to get it done."

Ratliff, a Columbus, Ohio product, had been the clubhouse favorite after the draft to be the nickel cornerback. But head coach Marvin Lewis indicated Wednesday that Ratliff’s seven-day holdout has put him third in a derby with fellow second-rounder Madieu Williams and Terrell Roberts.

Williams, a safety from Maryland taken seven spots behind Ratliff at No. 56, has emerged as the top rookie of camp and could assume that corner slot job ever before the Sept. 12 opener in New Jersey against the Jets.

Still, they think the 5-10, 190-pound Ratliff is going to be a solid pro who has excellent versatility.

He led the SEC and with nine interceptions last year, holds the school record with three interception returns for touchdowns, and the school career-record for punt return yards. Ratliff was also the only player in NCAA Division I-A to catch a touchdown pass and return an interception for a score during a 2002 season he also played some receiver.

”More than you could imagine,” said Ratliff on Draft Day, when asked if playing offense helped him. “As a wide receiver, I got a chance to see the game plans of the offense, what zones receivers like to get to, and where quarterbacks were looking with their first, second, and third reads. That all helped me to study film as a defensive back.”

Rosenhaus said he didn't have a problem with Ratliff's bonus being attached to a 100 percent offseason workout participation clause. The Bengals have used it in all their rookie contracts through the fifth round and it hasn't led to any holdouts.

"Coach Lewis told me that this was something he really wants," Rosenhaus said. "I accept the fact that this organization won't try to cheat guys out of money. If the player makes the effort and has good participation, I'm sure he's going to get his bonus. I'm sure Coach Lewis is going to be fair about it."

Maybe I gave them a little Karma to get him signed in the Medieu thread. Come on Perry, get your ass signed! B-)
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:21 am

DUKE wrote:Maybe I gave them a little Karma to get him signed in the Medieu thread. Come on Perry, get your ass signed!

lol, it was all you DUKE :-b

Glad to see him signed

I really hate holdouts, but in part the team doesnt even start negotiations until late. I wish there were just set amounts of money designated to each pick in the draft which would inflate by like 5% each year. Everyone (cough...Perry....cough) would then be guaranteed to be in camp
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:17 pm

here are the details to the contract

-- Ratliff Contract Details --
Fri Aug 6, 2004 --

The Dayton Daily News reports the four-year contract signed by Cincinnati Bengals second-round draft pick CB Keiwan Ratliff is worth $2.8 million and includes a $1.425 million signing bonus to go with minimum base salaries of $230,000 (2004), $305,000 (2005) and $385,000 (2006). The Bengals hold a club option for 2007. Ratliff was still listed as second on the team's depth chart at left cornerback, behind starting CB Deltha O'Neal according to the Cincinnati Inquirer.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FeArMeNtL » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:50 pm

I haven't seen Ratliff play at all so if you guys can give me some more information about him, that would be great ;-D
[img]http://mywebpage.netscape.com/mercerboy3/fearmesig.jpg [img]
The tandem of Chad Johnson and Rudi Johnson, plus a new defense,Marvin Lewis,Palmer=Dynasty
FeArMeNtL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Turnip » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:48 pm

I haven't seen him play much at all but here's a summary of what I've heard:

He's very quick (would be a good punt returner if something happened to warrick) with the potential to be a good cover man. He has good hands (played some WR and RB previously) and is more of a big-play kind of corner (ideal for nickel situations) because he can't tackle. He didn't play as much corner in his college career so he might be a slow learner. Basically:

Pros: Quickness, hands, knack for the ball

Cons: Speed, tackling, true corner skills
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FeArMeNtL » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:52 pm

I thought that the Bengals already had a Punt Returner in that Olympic runner we picked up. I think it was from the Redskins if i'm not mistaken. What is his name... :-?
[img]http://mywebpage.netscape.com/mercerboy3/fearmesig.jpg [img]
The tandem of Chad Johnson and Rudi Johnson, plus a new defense,Marvin Lewis,Palmer=Dynasty
FeArMeNtL
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Philly Phantom » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:52 pm

FeArMeNtL wrote:I thought that the Bengals already had a Punt Returner in that Olympic runner we picked up. I think it was from the Redskins if i'm not mistaken. What is his name... :-?

Renaldo Nehemiah :-b
I may be a Bengals fan (since '81), but I know my Football.
Philly Phantom Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby DUKE » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:17 pm

FeArMeNtL wrote:I thought that the Bengals already had a Punt Returner in that Olympic runner we picked up. I think it was from the Redskins if i'm not mistaken. What is his name... :-?

Fear: Patrick Johnson. He's been a bit dinged up lately. We actually have a few canidates who could return punts: Ratliff, Warrick, Johnson (Patrick), Oneil, and TJ (Not crazy about him trying it again though)

Turnip, nice insight. that's pretty much what I've heard about him too. One other pro for him though is that he's very eager to improve himself and studies the position and it's schemes. Apparently, that's what turned us on to him when scouting before the draft. Our scouts were watching film with him and he was able to break down and read plays and tell what the db's responsibilities were.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Return to Cincinnati Bengals