Ricky Williams.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ricky Williams....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ricky Williams....

Postby Homeless » Thu Feb 13, 2003 10:29 am

Ricky Williams snuck in and out of a Fort Lauderdale hospital this week for the purpose of squaring away his left shoulder. His agent, Leigh Steinberg, indicated that the surgery was very minor, and that it dealt with “some of the bumps and scrapes that happened during the season.” Williams has a history of minor injuries, but has played in 32 consecutive games. Williams won’t miss any time, and is already back to his training regime.

For a running back, shoulder surgery is no big deal. But it gives us the opportunity to discuss Williams—a player that some feel is worthy of the first overall pick next year.

Let’s begin by recapping his stellar 2002 campaign, featuring the following career bests:
- 1,853 yards
- 16 touchdowns
- six 2-touchdown games
- seven 100-yard games
- 4.8 yards per carry
- 16 games played

If you knew he’d repeat those numbers, you’d probably take him with the first overall pick. But will he?

Danger lurks in the form of the Dolphins schedule. Last year’s schedule was softer than Rosie’s recently-loofahed butt cheeks, featuring just four games against top-third run defenses, while Williams had the luxury of playing against seven games bottom-third teams.

Last year, the Dolphins caught a break by playing four games against the miserable NFC North defenses. It couldn’t be more different this year, as Miami now must face three formidable defenses in the NFC East. Philadelphia allowed fewer rushing touchdowns than any team last year. Dallas was fifth-best in that category, and the Giants were sixth.

Certainly, the schedule isn’t everything, and teams change from year to year. But, if last year’s results are any indication, it’s going to be a lot harder for Williams to duplicate his numbers.

Just something to think about, be interesting to see if RW can match his numbers from 02.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby VIPER » Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:31 am

I think Ricky will have another strong season next year of course barring injury. He's big , strong, and has a very good burst of speed. I think I remember analysts saying he lost a little weight or something that helped his "quicks" this past year. So if he stays in great shape I don't see any reason why next year will be different no matter what team he plays against. (except T.B. of course) ;-D
VIPER
Benedict Arnold
Benedict Arnold

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby zombiez » Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:05 pm

yeah he will be alright....should have a monster year
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Indy Dragons » Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:13 pm

I think it is funny to see that the article mentions the NFC North that the Dolphins played last year, and mentions they will have to now play the NFC East BUT they don't mention that they also played the AFC West last year, but will get some easy teams this year playing the AFC South.

I think Ricky will do just fine, but may not quite equal last year - I have him projected to do just a little bit less right now.
Indy Dragons
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby kashikis » Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:33 pm

i say he will do almost a good as last year condsidering they should go after another WR in the draft to complement chambers which will take the pressure off of him a bit. Also if fiedler and chambers can stay healthy teams wont be able to key in on him as much
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby fntsyrookie » Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:47 pm

Regarding th NFC North, Ricky Williams really only had two good games there. Chicago he had a killer game, 216 rush and 2 TDs. They won. Against Detroit, he had a great game too. 111 rush and 2 more TDs. Again they won. However, that's as far as his success goes in the North. Against the Pack he had 47 rush and 23 rec. No TDs. They lost. Not exactly a good game. Also against Minnesota he had 67 rush and 16 rec. Again not a good game. Yet another loss. Now the reason I'm posting this is because there was reference to all the bad D's in the North. While this may be true to some extent (Minnesota last or next to in pass, there run D was in the top 10) Basically my point is if these Ds are all so bad, how come he didn't do squat against Minny, and Green Bay? If going 2-2 against miserable Ds is catching a break, then the Dolphins won't go anywhere this year.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The Sandwich » Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:29 pm

The impressive thing for me about Ricky last year was that he was the only real focus on the offense. Everyone knew who he was and that he was coming but he still put up monster #'s. Next year if they stay healthy and add a WR, the ofense will open up. This Should give him even more running lanes to run in and more goal line opportunities.

My prediction, yards down slightly, receptions up, TD's the same.
The Sandwich
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:11 pm

Ricky had a monster season.
There's no doubt about it.
I even LIKE Ricky Willams.
But ... he still makes me a little "nervous" ... you know?
He sure seemed to be hurt a lot in Nah Orlans.
Personally - I thought he would self-distruct in a town like Miami, and he proved me 100% wrong.
Kept his nose clean and got down to business.
Still nervous about taking him, though.
It's like ... "waiting for the other shoe to drop".
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk