Following your gut feeling - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Following your gut feeling

Moderator: Football Moderators

Following your gut feeling

Postby V-unit » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:21 am

Is there anyone like me that go with there gut Feeling instead of what people and magazines say about players?
THe reason i say this is because i have done this the past 3 years and ive been lucky.Last year for example everyone was talking about Taylor,Henry, and Tiki but they barely metioned J.Lewis.I had the 10th pick last year and took a risk in grabbing Lewis becuse of my gut felling and anylazing his situation.People thought i was crazy but i did my reserch and it worked out this year by winning the championship.I have taken risks for the following Tomlinson (2nd year),Culpepper(rookie year) and Duece (year Ricky left N.O.).
V-unit
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Impressionable » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:26 am

I don't believe anyone can say they don't follow their gut feeling in FF. The reason being is that everything is a PREDICTION. Of course you still would have to analyze the situation and create your best prediction with what you have, but nothing is set in stone. Your starting RB could tear his ACL week 1 and you're back to the drawing board. A lot of people hesitated on Priest because of the hip last year, and those who didn't got rewarded. I don't see how you can not follow your gut when it's involving fantasy and predictions.
[[Placeholder]]
Impressionable
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Smizzy » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:29 am

Do you know how many times this year alone it's come down to ....

Dillon or Rudi or Barlow at one point or another in my drafts?

Alot.

My gut says dillon or barlow with the edge going to Dillon.
Smizzy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby portisfan24 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:30 am

Thats really what fantasy football is all about isnt it? if we all drafted the same it wouldnt be too much fun. For example, I like barlow this year. Other people think he is going to bust. Thats all a matter of opinion. Even the "experts" are wrong sometimes. Now usually if you get a consensus of say 20 guys on here, chaces are they cant all be wrong. Maybe you have a gut feeling about Corey Dillon, so you trade your priest holmes for him. (obviously ridiculous) but who is laughing when priest breaks his leg and dillon gets 2000 yards rushing. You went against all possible advice out there and came out right. obviously that is hypothetical, but really gut feelings are what make winners and losers. It affects drafts, trades and the wire.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MadScott » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:01 am

The "gut" is one of those valuable intangibles that I believe helps lead you to a championship. I don't forgo good research in favor of the gut, but everything being equal, I've got no qualms about going on instinct.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby V-unit » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:02 am

I just think its funny when some people tend to just follow what the so called "experts" say.I know its all about luck and research and thats what makes FF great because its so unpredictable.I will always trust my gut felling over any expert.
V-unit
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Impressionable » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:14 am

A lot of what the experts say is based on their gut feeling, which is the reason for the disparity displayed amongst them. A lot of it is infered and deduced based on the situation. You have to realize that anything can happen, so research and preparation only go so far, but the rest is simply the little breaks and bounces that happen along the way. For example, if Randy Moss is playing the worst secondary in the league, you could infer that he'll have a good day, but that's not necessarily always the case, and it's far too complex to list every situation. Also, that inference in and of itself is based on a gut feeling, as the statistics for that would merely be abberational and inconclusive.
[[Placeholder]]
Impressionable
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby KingGhidra » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:51 am

I make it a general rule not to just draft someone on a lark without having a good reason.

I use my gut for two things. A tiebreaker, which I think all of us do. The 2nd is to prompt some research. Sometimes I'll be thinking about fantasy football and my gut will make me think something like "I bet running QBs hold their value better from year to year than immobile QBs".

Recently my gut has been telling me that tall running backs are more injury prone than shorter ones. Probably silly, but Fred Taylor is 6-1 and Robert Smith is 6-2 and both got off to an injury plagued start of their career. A warning for you McAllister (6-1) and Ahman (6-0) owners out there.

8-o 8-o
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby fantasyfiend » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:12 am

My gut told me strongly to take hines ward last year ... but since the expert general consensus was burress would have a more productive season, i opted for burress and it cost me the championship.

from this point on .. i will always go by "gut"...regardless of the situation.
fantasyfiend
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:23 am

The gut is a very valuable tool that's why it's important to make sure it stays well stocked with an ample supply of beer. ;-D
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk