Another Rb ....maybe.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Another Rb ....maybe....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Another Rb ....maybe....

Postby Homeless » Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:03 pm

Free agent running back John Avery, a former first-round draft pick who has spent the last two years in the CFL and XFL, on Thursday signed with the Minnesota Vikings.
Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Avery was a first-round pick of the Miami Dolphins in 1998, but he lasted only two years in the NFL, totalling 524 yards rushing in 23 games with the Dolphins and Denver Broncos.

Also a kick-returner, Avery played for the Chicago Enforcers of the defunct XFL in 2001, leading the league with 800 yards rushing.

He played with Edmonton of the CFL last year, helping the team to the Grey Cup title game.

Last season with the Eskimos, Avery rushed for 1,448 yards and nine touchdowns, caught 45 passes for 387 yards and two scores and averaged 25.4 yards on 26 kick returns.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on this guy with the rest of us ? I really dont know anything more than is written here.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby terpfan » Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:46 pm

never heard of him...
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:03 pm

This is interesting. My feeling is that Avery could be a solid back in the right situation - I'm just not sure Minnesota is it...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JayM09 » Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:19 pm

they probably just brought him in to be used mainly as a return man.
JayM09
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guttpuppy » Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:23 pm

More than likely Jay is right about this,but with Moe Williams potentially gone as a FA,Avery could end up backing up Bennett,god forbid(for Bennett owners) that he would take over Williams' goalline role.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby JayM09 » Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:31 pm

if i remember correctly, i believe that avery is a little speed back, not your typical goaline back.
JayM09
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guttpuppy » Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:38 pm

You're right Jay,5'9",190 lbs.Williams is a little bigger at 6'1",210 lbs.Neither one is exactly what I would call a prototypical goalline back as say a Mike Alstott,6'1",248 lbs.!
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Slingblade » Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:52 pm

yeah he did decent in the XFL...he should be a good kick returner
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby fntsyrookie » Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:18 am

Well being as I'm from the "original" frozen tundra (that's Minny in the winter) I have to say that they brought this guy in for return duties only. Apparetnly the guy has blazing speed. Secondly if Moe does end up not re signing, I think Bennett will get more of the goal line carries. Towards the end of the year he got a couple more chances and did fine.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slowkidz » Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:38 pm

I like avery in the xfl....(yeah i watched...i had no life....still don't)

i think he'll fit in well on special teams...and he may have a good chance at a starting job in the right place....
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Next

Return to Football Talk