Return to Football Talk

Akili!!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Akili!!!!

Postby DUKE » Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:21 pm

Akili: Look before you leap
2/14/2003 - 2-14-03, 6:15 p.m.
BY GEOFF HOBSON
As the Bengals prepare to descend on next week’s scouting combine with the NFL Draft’s No. 1 pick, the buzz in the Indianapolis hotel lobbies is no doubt going to involve them selecting USC quarterback Carson Palmer or Marshall quarterback Byron Leftwich.

But if they are looking to select a franchise quarterback, Akili Smith advises them they don’t have to bother because they’ve got one already.

Him.

“I’m the same quarterback I was four years ago,” said Smith Friday from San Diego. “Put the tape on from Oregon and, my opinion, I had a better senior year than any of the guys coming out this year. To me, that’s the decision they have to make. Do they take a quarterback with the first pick and call him, ‘The Franchise?’ or do they take Akili Smith by the heels and say he’s got so much talent that let’s put it on the line and see what he’s got?”

If they decide Palmer or Leftwich, Smith thinks they go into a much better situation here than when he arrived as the third pick in the 1999 draft.

** Continued from Homepage **

“It was chaos,” Smith said. “But it’s much better for them now. They come in where everybody is starting fresh in the right direction.”

The Hot Stove League always gets stoked during those cold February nights in Indy and here are just some of the Bengals’ logs that are simmering:

The Eagles are supposedly shopping nickel cornerback Al Harris in trade and the Bengals figure to be a target since they need to upgrade at corner and their new defensive coordinator, Leslie Frazier, knows all about him as Philadelphia’s former secondary coach. Harris plays behind Pro Bowlers Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor and could start for many NFL teams. The Bengals won’t give up anything like a first-rounder. But what if Harris is better than what’s available in the second round?
The NFL wonders if too much has been said between Lewis and transition free agent linebacker Takeo Spikes for Spikes to return. Lewis has lobbied him hard ever since he got the job a month ago and Spikes still hasn’t said anything positive.
That has to rankle a first-year head coach who is known as a defensive guru and has a reputation for finding linebackers and getting them to produce no matter their talent level. How long before Lewis goes and gets another linebacker who buys into his program for half the price?

Early line on the teams pursuing Spikes? Buffalo, New Orleans, and watch out for Miami if the left tackles dry up as the Dolphins could seek an outside threat for Zach Thomas.

The combine marks Lewis’ league-wide debut on the scene as a head coach and he’ll meet the national media late in the week. He’ll probably also be asked to explain his closed-practice philosophy.
But next week’s main interest is centered on quarterback. Smith has spoken with Lewis and new quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese and is encouraged by the talks. He’s thrilled Zampese is talking about getting back-to-basics mechanically (“I got away from that the last couple of years”) and took note when Lewis told him he would do better if he went with his pre-snap reads.

“If I get the reps, I can get that down,” said Smith, who has made two starts in the last two years. “I can go through the playbook right now with Marvin, but the problem is I haven’t had the reps in two years. I pretty much was the scapegoat for (4-12 in 2000). But if they choose to go with one of those young guys, he’ll be in a better situation than I was. There is more experienced talent around.

“And Mike Brown is showing people he is turning this thing around in the right direction,” Smith said. “You can tell by just talking to Marvin that it’s going to be different. It’s a great move.”

Smith figures if the Bengals take a quarterback in the first round, he’ll be cut after June 1. If not. . .

If it’s anything other than a first-rounder, I’ll be a Bengal,” said Smith, who agrees with Lewis that Jon Kitna deserves to be No. 1. “If it is, I just wish I’d get cut earlier so I could get with the new team and get the playbook. If not, and I’m the backup, I’ll be happy getting a fresh start and I’ll be ready.”

But as the Bengals step up the scouting process, Smith hopes they keep in mind they still have the third pick from five drafts ago.

“I’ll take what I did in my senior year and put it up against anybody’s,” Smith said. “A guy like (Palmer) had more around him than I did. It wasn’t that long ago. I still think I can start in this league.”

Copyright ©1999-2002 Cincinnati Bengals, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

[Legal Notice]
..............Thought you all would find this either interesting or hillarious. It's like a re-occurring nightmare. 8-o :~(
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member
Home Cafe: Football

Postby chaindog35 » Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:01 pm

Akili Smith sucks. He had one good year at Oregon and has really done well in the NFL. Oh wait, who was that guy taken by the eagles, Oh yeah Donovan McNabb. Akili should starting talking when he starts producing, so in other words, he should be a mute.
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Indy Dragons » Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:51 am

Funny, how all he could talk about was his senior year in College. I'll put up my 6th grade year up against anybody coming out this year, and I think I look pretty good, but that doesn't show how good I would do in the NFL (or how well I've done - in Smith's Case).
Indy Dragons
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby fntsyrookie » Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:51 am

Indy Dragons wrote:Funny, how all he could talk about was his senior year in College. I'll put up my 6th grade year up against anybody coming out this year, and I think I look pretty good, but that doesn't show how good I would do in the NFL (or how well I've done - in Smith's Case).

LOL!! How true!! Seriously not to sound like Al Bundy here, but I scored 4 TDs in one game my sophomore year. I should've went pro...LOL!!
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:56 am

Hahaha !! funny guys.

If the bungles cant use him, then he isnt exactly the best stock.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Roseman » Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:46 am

I think it is about time that Mr. Smith takes a good long look in the mirror and realizes who he is and what he is..............

He may have had a great year in college so what all that accounts for is where you get drafted that has nothing to do with how you do in the NFL

Akili Smith will just be added to the list of 1st rd flop QBs since the draft started in 1936 there have been 1st rd flop QBs

Does anybody remember Todd Blackledge (probably not) he was draft by KC in the "year of the QB" he was the second QB taken overall right after John Elway and ahead of Jim Kelly and Dan Marino

Todd Blackledge did not only have an outstanding senior yr but he had one of the best college carrers in history at the QB position and where is he now? That is right I dont know either.
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby chaindog35 » Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:11 am

Blackledge works for ABC sports as a studio analyst. So see, he still has a job, while Elway and Kelly don't.
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Indy Dragons » Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:34 pm

You asked for it, you got it (maybe you didn't ask for it, but you still get it).

I went back and here is a list of ALL QBs taken in the first round in the NFL draft from 1991-2000, with a comment about each - if necessary:

1991:
16th - Dan McGwire - Sea - Not a stellar career.
24th - Todd Marinovich - Oak - Not a stellar career!

1992:
6th - David Klingler - Cin - Not a stellar career!
25th - Tommy Maddox - Den - Maybe now?

1993:
1st - Drew Bledsoe - NE - Not bad.
2nd - Rick Mirer - Sea - Not much to say about him.

1994:
3rd - Heath Shuler - Was - Yeah, right!!
6th - Trent Dilfer - TB - A standout so far!!

1995:
3rd - Steve McNair - Hou Oilers - Finally, getting better.
5th - Kerry Collins - Car - Not bad, better than most.

1996:
None taken in first round.
First taken:
2.12 - Tony Banks - StL - Wee!!!!!!!

1997:
26th - Jim Druckenmiller - SF - What a career!!

1998:
1st - Peyton Manning - Ind - Got it right, compared to:
2nd - Ryan Leaf - SD - Who got the best?

1999:
1st - Tim Couch - Cle - Not bad
2nd - Donovan McNabb - Phi - Getting better!
3rd - Akili Smith - Cin - Oops, we took a wrong turn here!
11th - Daunte Culpepper - Min - Back on the right track.
12th - Cade McNown - Chi - Oops!

2000:
18th - Chad Pennington - NYJ - Could be coming on strong!

I got my information from:
http://football.about.com/gi/dynamic/of ... ory.com%2F

So let me calculate here:
10 drafts:
19QBS taken in first round:
10 BUSTS
5 Super Stars (Bledsoe, McNair, Manning, McNabb, Culpepper - though Culpepper is probably not in the SS area yet.)
a couple super stars in the making maybe
a few solid qbs, but not superstars

I don't think that bodes well for QBs, and I didn't even do second or third round picks!!
Indy Dragons
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby slowkidz » Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:58 pm

I don't think we can really say "Tim Couch - Not Bad"...Have u seen him play? Have u heard him cry? How bout the whining?? To be brutally honest, I'd rather have had Akili over that hillbilly bumpkin.
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby terpfan » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:13 pm

lol i knew slow would have sumthin to say about that "not bad" comment...
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk