Rudi Johnson Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rudi Johnson Discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:50 am

Ive mentioned this a number of times before, but every so often its nice to revisit:

Rudi had 4 good games last yr. In those 4 games he compiled 65% of his total rushing yds and 55% of his TDs. He gained 5.5ypc in those 4 games. Thos 4 games were against SEA, HOU, KC, and SF. :-?

The rest of the season - outside those 4 games - he ran at a 3.3 ypc clip. :-t

The last 6 games of the season - when he was supposed to "take over" - he gained more than 55 rush yds only once - against SF - thats 5 of 6 games where he didnt crack 60 rush yds. :-t

As for receptions - he never caught more than 2 passes in any game. 8-o :-t

Now - onto this season...
CIN has a new young QB. Defenses will logically make that inexperienced QB beat them. That means stuffing the run. On top of that, CIN faces the toughest schedule against the run in the NFL - its downright scary.

There are a lot of negatives surrounding Rudi right now, and I just wanted to bring them up as a reminder.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:28 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
The last 6 games of the season - when he was supposed to "take over" - he gained more than 55 rush yds only once - against SF - thats 5 of 6 games where he didnt crack 60 rush yds. :-t

On the other hand, he received more than 15 carries only once the last 6 games of the season.

On top of that, CIN faces the toughest schedule against the run in the NFL - its downright scary.

His schedule doesn't look that tough to me and I explained why in a post before. In fact, no team's schedule impresses me unless they play in the AFC East. Let's face it, the "average" NFL defense is crap right now. There were only five or six true shut down defenses last year. The only thing about Rudi's 2003 schedule that scares me is back to back road games against Baltimore and New England in weeks 13 and 14. Other than that, he plays enough average to bad defenses that I wouldn't be particularly concerned.

There are a lot of negatives surrounding Rudi right now, and I just wanted to bring them up as a reminder.

So you can devalue him and grab him in the 3rd round in our league. ;-) ;-)
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:32 am

KingGhidra wrote:

So you can devalue him and grab him in the 3rd round in our league. ;-) ;-)

Yeah - you caught me ;-7
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BigMusky » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:49 am

I was being sarcastic...jeez
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BuckyGator » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:56 am

You can spin Rudi's stats from last year either way. Sure he only had four good games, but he was also stuck behiind Dillon for half the year. Once he got his chance, he responded with three 150 yard games - something Dillon NEVER did in a season and a Bengals all-time record. He also averaged 4.5 ypc for the year and scored 9 TDs, better than a lot of backs who were the starter all season. I'm not sayin Rudi doesn't have questions, but I think the positives make him a very attractive #2 back heading into the season - especially when you've already got Tomlinson ;-D Who, I just saw on ESPN has spent the offseason working on his strength in order to better avoid tackles, in an effort to reach 2,500 total yards this year. Which is nice, cuz those 2,370 last year really could use a little improvement. ;-)
QB: Warner, Brees
RB: SJax, Dunn, Gore, Barlow, Maroney
WR: Steve Smith, Driver, Walker, Reg. Brown, Williamson, Wilford
TE: Winslow
K: Wilkins
D: Cincy
D: Matchups
BuckyGator
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Navyseal » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:11 pm

Call me a Rudi honk too, but his best three games weren't just 150 yard games...

In fact, he gained 182 yards and 2 TDs vs Houston, he gained 165 yards vs KC, and finally he gained 174 yards and 2 TDs vs San Fran. Granted these were ALL home games (as was his 101/1 performance vs Seattle), but anyone who can put up those kinds of #'s in the NFL has a really good shot at becoming a superstar ---- ESPECIALLY since he accomplished this behind Cinci's O-line who are just average imo. They should and will improve, imo.

He's the undisputed starter, and Lewis loves his attitude and galloping, stiff-arming running style. Perry will get some work, but he's missed much of training camp. Conversely, Rudi attended all the mini-camps BEFORE he even signed his one year deal.

As the Clash sang over 20 years ago, "Rudi can't fail."

12 team, H2H, hyper-performance, keeper (5)

Start 9: QB, 1/2RB, 2/3/4WR, 1/2TE, K, D/ST

Keepers: Deuce, Rudi, CJ, Plax, Foster
Last edited by Navyseal on Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Navyseal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Heimholder » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:13 pm

The only thing funnier than good sarcasm is when people somehow don't get it and then call you an idiot...
Heimholder
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:19 pm

Main Event wrote: I dont know how good Johnson's hands are (21 cathces last year)

Rudi had 21 catches last year..... because they only passed him the ball 23 times. Does this show Rudi has bad hands? Or that the Bengal's prefer to run him rather than have him catch the ball out of the backfield. No other starting RB even came close to Rudi's 90%+ catching efficiency.

Most likely the Bengal's realize that Rudi is too damn big and slow to be a true downfield threat. This limits him to the occasional dump off and screen pass.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby VHawk15 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:50 pm

Okay guys, you can argue about Rudi's ability all you want, but it looks like the starting job is settled. On PTI, Marvin Lewis just said that there was no discomfort at RB, that Rudi is definitely the starter, and that he has lots of confidence in him.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BigMusky » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:52 pm

coaches lie all the time.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk