Rudi Johnson Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rudi Johnson Discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby VHawk15 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:57 pm

BigMusky wrote:coaches lie all the time.

Wow, your logic makes absolutely no sense. You're assuming that Lewis is lying because other coaches have lied before? :-?

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigMusky » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:07 pm

you are the one saying he is definitely the starter because Lewis said he was on PTI. I agree he probably will be, but I would take almost anything a coach says now worth a grain of salt.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Oh Sweet Irony

Postby DraftDodger » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:49 pm

>>> Um... you kind of proved Ghidra's point. A-Train and Wheatley suck for the most part, especially when compared to the SEC backs you mentioned. Emmitt is the all-time rusher, and the rest of them are fantasy stud RB's. <<<

As the Director of a community college once told me when I complained that I'd gotten an "A" on a sarcastic, no-content essay paper, "The trouble with irony is, it often goes over the head of the intended victim."
Last edited by DraftDodger on Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:51 pm

DraftDodger wrote:>>> Um... you kind of proved Ghidra's point. A-Train and Wheatley suck for the most part, especially when compared to the SEC backs you mentioned. Emmitt is the all-time rusher, and the rest of them are fantasy stud RB's. <<<

As the Director of a community college once told me when I complained that I'd gotten an "A" on a sarcastic essay paper, "The trouble with irony is, it often goes over the head of the intended victim."

Sarcasm is a lot harder to detect in print than in speech. There is no tone or body language, just emoticons.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Sarcasm

Postby DraftDodger » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:06 pm

>>> Sarcasm is a lot harder to detect in print than in speech. There is no tone or body language, just emoticons. <<<

"I think a better answer would be that I shouldn't take shots at an unarmed man," DraftDodger said sarcastically, raising his hands and backing away from the keyboard.
Last edited by DraftDodger on Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:06 pm

KingGhidra wrote:
BigMusky wrote:
Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, Fred Taylor, Emmitt Smith, Shawn Alexander, Duece McAllister, Dominik Davis, and Stephen Davis

Do you even need more of a list than that? You just named some of the best backs in the league young and old. Add Charlie Garner and Garrison Hearst to that list for their long and productive careers.
Dude, Vhawk and KG, you need to turn up the frequency on your sarcasm detectors. :-b I think you could tell it was sarcasm because he listed so many of the good backs and then jokingly compared them to Wheatley and Thomas.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BuckyGator » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:18 pm

FIrst of all, Sweetness is right - that sarcasm was pretty damn obvious! :) Second, I will take Marv's coach speak with a grain of salt like always, but obviously it is positive news as far as Rudi is concerned. Like I said to begin with, all the talk about Perry stealing touches has been nothing but speculation - no one has provided a single article or quote where the cincy coaches discuss how much (if at all) they plan to use Perry. Now at least we have Marv on record supporting Rudi, although nothing he said was very surprising. Bottom line is Rudi's gonna get the ball a ton unless he shows that he can't get the job done. At that point he will lose carries, as a result of his poor play moreso than becuz of chris perry.
QB: Warner, Brees
RB: SJax, Dunn, Gore, Barlow, Maroney
WR: Steve Smith, Driver, Walker, Reg. Brown, Williamson, Wilford
TE: Winslow
K: Wilkins
D: Cincy
D: Matchups
BuckyGator
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby VHawk15 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:44 pm

The reason I didn't detect the sarcasm was that there are actually people here at the Cafe that are that stupid. The writer appeared to be new to the Cafe, with few posts, so I assumed that he was one of the not-so-bright one's. It would've been different if one of the mods, a pissed off nickel, or someone like Ghidra or Bagel had said it.

I wrote:it looks like the starting job is settled

BigMusky wrote:you are the one saying he is definitely the starter because Lewis said he was on PTI.

I'm afraid I didn't say that. :-?

And while I understand that you won't to take coach's statements with a grain of salt, you can't just totally disregard a statement (especially one that was so strong as Lewis' was) because coaches have lied in the past.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby MadScott » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:59 pm

Is this a "how to detect sarcasm thread" or a Rudi Johnson thread?

:takes bat and whacks thread back on course:

Good to hear that he got the vote of confidence from Lewis. I agree with your statement earlier in the thread Flux where you stated that they didn't want to shovel money to an unproven back, or something of that ilk. I think they need to give Rudi every chance in the world this year to see what he can do. You certainly wouldn't want to let a 1500yd., 10 TD guy slip through your hands in the NFL. That more than anything is why I don't think there is a dispute over Rudi being the man in Cinn. this year.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wolverine » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:26 pm

So you guys go ahead and grab Rudi Johnson in the second. I will take "the other Bengals' Johnson, Chad Johnson instead. Chad Johnson will have more yards and TD's receiving than Rudi will rushing in 2004. Remember this post are re-visit it later in the season to validate my prediction.

Chad Johnson is the best player on the Bengal's offense and will prove himself to be a Top 3 receiver this year when the Bengals get stuffed in the box.
Wolverine
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk