Rudi Johnson Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rudi Johnson Discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Wolverines post.....

Postby benm3218 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:25 am

Not impressed what so ever. Rudi is much better than you give him credit for. He will definately put up more yards and td's than Johnson. GET REAL!
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:01 am

hawksfan896 wrote:I can't help but think of the greatest football game I've ever witnessed. Michigan vs. 'Bama in the Orange Bowl, Alexander and A-Train's senior years.

One of my alltime favorite games. ATrain v SA backand forth - just brilliant.

Thanks for reminding me of that.

As for Rudi - I never really thought he would have competition from Perry coming in to the season - although Perry is ready for the NFL, it would be wise to let him have a yr to acclimate. Rudi's starting job at the beginning of the yr is not in jeopardy.

I just see terrible matchups and a lot of very good defenses that will force Palmer to beat them.

Look - I'm not a Rudi hater (although being a Mich Alumn, maybe Im really just hoping to see Perry sooner than later - nah). My biggest argument is his value. With all the questionmarks surrounding him, I dont understand why he is a 2nd rd pick, but Staley, Cmart, etc... are 4th rd or later. Its not like he is a lock or has a heigher ceiling than the rest of these guys. Thats my argument against Rudi - I just think people are either overvaluing him, or undervaluing others.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bagobonez » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:34 am

VHawk15 wrote:
Anyway, back to Rudi Johnson. Bago, I agree that Rudi's schedule is solid, but Tennessee and Miami at least won't repeat their performances.

True, Tennessee lost Robaire Smith and Jevon Kearse, which can only hurt their run-stopping ability, but there were #1 in the league against he run last year, and it wasn't ALL those two guys. At worst I would see Tennessee finishing 10th. And Miami hasn't really lost anyone unless Ogunleye holds out. I guess the fact that Zach Thomas and Junior Seau are aging may be a concern, but it's not like these two defenses are suddenly going to become swiss cheese.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BuckyGator » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:04 pm

Schedule is a legit concern, Perry is not. I guess I'm not the best RUdi judge either, becuz I've already got him, no deciding when/if to draft him. But comparing him to Staley and Martin? First of all, his numbers were much better than either last year. Second, both Staley and Martin have just as much if not more push from other RBs than Rudi. Third, and IMO most importantly, Staley and Martin do not have many productive years left. From a long-term perspective, which is how you must approach fantasy football unless you redraft every year, Rudi clearly does have a higher ceiling. He could easily be a very productive back for the next 10 years. martin and Staley may be productive backs for the next 3 years, if that. As for Wolv's CJ projection - I'm big on CJ too, in fact I had to make the difficult decision to keep Rudi over him as one of my three keepers (with LT2 and Holt). I agree CJ will be an elite WR, but I think it will be a year from now. Your argument is that teams will load up to stop the run - ie Rudi - with Palmer starting, thus allowing CJ to have a lot of room to work. But if that happens - and CJ is on pace to have more yards/TDs than RUdi and be a top 3 WR this year, you think teams will continue to stack the box? Of course not. I'd say if CJ is having a good/great year, the Bengals offense will be doing well, whether it be Palmer avoiding the struggles everyone predicts, or Kitna having replaced him. Either way, in that case Rudi should be having a great season too - cuz having an effective passing game will only help him. As for me, my hope is to be able to re-draft CJ right off the bat, then re-draft hasselbeck in the next round and have the core of my unbeatable team from last season back intact! ;-D
QB: Warner, Brees
RB: SJax, Dunn, Gore, Barlow, Maroney
WR: Steve Smith, Driver, Walker, Reg. Brown, Williamson, Wilford
TE: Winslow
K: Wilkins
D: Cincy
D: Matchups
BuckyGator
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bagobonez » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:09 pm

If I were you, I'd keep CJ over RJ. Rudi will most likely be playing for a new team next year (The Bengals didn't draft Perry for no reason) and who knows which team he'll end up with. Plus above average running backs like Rudi are easier to come across than those studly WR's that can post 1,300 and double digit TD's. With wide receivers' stats being so unpredictable, I'd go with the safe bet in Chad.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BuckyGator » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:38 pm

Well first of all it's too late becuz we already had to choose our 3 keepers. I did debate between CJ and Rudi, and actually I had a nice long thread on here about it about a month back. Basically, I chose Rudi for 2 reasons: 1) I think the QB issues in Cincy this year is more likely to hurt CJ's stats than Rudi's and, probably more importantly 2) I feel quality RBs are more valuable and actually harder to come by than good WRs. This is a 14 team league, I don't draft until the end of the first round. Looking over the guys I would be choosing from to replace Rudi as my 2nd RB...well let's just say the options are questionable at best. Whereas with WR - granted they are more unpredictable, but there are far more of them to go around. There will be plenty of quality WRs for me to choose in the first (really the fourth) round. It wasn't an easy decision - I wish I could have kept 'em both - but it came down to the fact that a good RB is inherently more valuable than a good WR. Now if CJ DOES continue his ascent this year and ends up in the Moss/Harrison/Holt level, well then I made a mistake. Oh well! :)
QB: Warner, Brees
RB: SJax, Dunn, Gore, Barlow, Maroney
WR: Steve Smith, Driver, Walker, Reg. Brown, Williamson, Wilford
TE: Winslow
K: Wilkins
D: Cincy
D: Matchups
BuckyGator
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Navyseal » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:03 pm

To wit, in my 12 team, hyper-performance, incentive-laden Keeper league, we ordered the players, 15 to a round, by their average points per start last season. I'ts also a non-serpentine draft sequence.

I ended up keeping Deuce(1st), Chad Johnson(2nd), Rudi(3rd), traded SDavis(2nd) for Plaxico Burress(8th), but I'm keeping DFoster(13th)...lol... mark my word, Davis WILL miss some time this season. Anyway, I figured as long as CJ and Rudi are 2nd and 3rd rounders, they may as well be 3rd and 2nd rounders...

Ultimately I chose to keep CJ over Shockey and SDavis, of the 2nd rounders. I chose to keep Deuce over Matt Hasselbeck of the 1st rounders. Chad Pennington was a third rounder, but I'd rather have Rudi instead, QB's are deep this year. I dropped McCardell, a 4th rounder, and Reggie Wayne, a 7th rounder.
So, even though they play on the same squad, I feel comfortable starting CJ and Rudi, in addition to Deuce and the soon-to-bounce-back Plexiglass... AND I still have a 4th round pick, a 5th round pick, a 6th, a 7th a 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 14th, 15th, and 16th round picks.
I'll try and steal Michael Bennett in the 4th if possible, perhaps Lee Suggs will fall into my lap as well. Grab Favre or McNair, Bulger or Green in the 5th or 6th rounds...maybe take a look at a top D/ST as well... and so on and so forth.

12 team, H2H, hyper-performance, keeper (5)

Start 9: QB, 1/2RB, 2/3/4WR, 1/2TE, K, D/ST

Keepers: Deuce, Rudi, CJ, Plax, Foster
Navyseal
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk