Winslow is a done deal - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Winslow is a done deal

Moderator: Football Moderators

Winslow is a done deal

Postby GreenBay4Life » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:39 am

BEREA, Ohio -- First-round draft choice Kellen Winslow II agreed to terms Tuesday night on a six-year contract with the Cleveland Browns, ending his 12-day holdout, league sources confirmed for ESPN.com.

The contract is worth $29 million and could bring Winslow up to $40 million if he reaches all his incentives. The deal also includes a $16.5 million signing and option bonuses.

The Browns and Winslow's agent, Kevin Poston, were reportedly $12 million to $22 million apart with Poston seeking a contract similar to the six-year, $54.6 million deal that wideout Charles Rogers received last year from Detroit.

2004: 2 League's 2 Championships
2005: 2 League's 2nd place and 6th place
2006: 1 league 2nd place
GreenBay4Life
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wolverine » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:46 am

About friggin' time
Wolverine
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby hayesb26 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:08 am

Wow, he signed relatively low considering the numbers he was talking about wanting early-on in the holdout.
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:29 am

I guess KW2 realized he looked like an idiot for passing that money up and took the offer.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:09 pm

I can't believe this isn't a bigger deal.All the talk about him not signing,only to have the actual signing go by with a whisper.Is he back to being the #2 or #3 TE again?or will the hold out kill his potential this year?So many players suffer serious injuries after an extended hold out,and never catch on from missing camp if they manage to stay healthy.Can Winslow be had in say the 8th or 9th rd,in a 20 or so round draft?
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby atvjerryrice80 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:29 pm

hes the highest paid TE ever so thats pretty good, but thats like saying your valedictorian of summer school to quote elliot on around the horn today
atvjerryrice80
Head Coach
Head Coach

Winslow

Postby DraftDodger » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:30 pm

I've been watching for him in my mock drafts, and haven't had a chance to grab him--there's simply too much excitement about him. He was highly sought after prior to his signing, even when things were getting hairy between him and the team--now he's going to be impossible to draft (in most leagues) at a spot where he's worth taking.

You have an unproven commodity in an untested offense--how high can you get on this guy? At least the Giants had a running game (Barber) and a good receiver (Toomer) when Shockey came to town. So far, the Browns haven't shown us that they have anything.

Sure, if I see Winslow slip in some draft, I'll grab him, but I won't reach for him, and I think any single-digit rounds would be a reach on a rookie player in that offense. I doubt that Garcia is suddenly going to change his style and dump off to the TE all the time.

Sorry, I just don't see this kid putting up the numbers that people are hoping for. Take him, by all means, but take him with a grain of salt--and in a later round.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby jumpman8828 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:38 pm

I got him in the 9th, 8th TE taken.
jumpman8828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Winslow

Postby MadScott » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:15 pm

DraftDodger wrote:I've been watching for him in my mock drafts, and haven't had a chance to grab him--there's simply too much excitement about him. He was highly sought after prior to his signing, even when things were getting hairy between him and the team--now he's going to be impossible to draft (in most leagues) at a spot where he's worth taking.

You have an unproven commodity in an untested offense--how high can you get on this guy? At least the Giants had a running game (Barber) and a good receiver (Toomer) when Shockey came to town. So far, the Browns haven't shown us that they have anything.

Sure, if I see Winslow slip in some draft, I'll grab him, but I won't reach for him, and I think any single-digit rounds would be a reach on a rookie player in that offense. I doubt that Garcia is suddenly going to change his style and dump off to the TE all the time.

Sorry, I just don't see this kid putting up the numbers that people are hoping for. Take him, by all means, but take him with a grain of salt--and in a later round.
Good point DD. While I do think he could easily post top 6 TE #s this year, I think people are overhyped on him this year. I'm anxious to see who in my league ends up reaching up and grabbing him and to see what they forgo by grabbing him so early because I can guarantee that someone will.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby houstonherdfan » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:46 pm

let others waste an early pick on him. You will get equal or better numbers from who ever you pick in the 3-5 rounds, which is were I am seeing him go. If he is around in the 7-8 round might be worth takeing a shot. Providing he stays healthy should put up at least bottom of the top 10 numbers. what is left in the 7-8 round won't do any better
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to Football Talk