Tomlinson CONTRACT STATUS? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tomlinson CONTRACT STATUS?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby jumpman8828 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:31 pm

You know what's funny? In a Madden franchise that I'm simming, the Chargers won the Super Bowl in 2005 (well, technically they won the game in 2006, but it was after the 2005 season).
jumpman8828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:42 am

I dont see LT staying in SD. He is a great guy and good to his team, but there hasnt been a lot done to help him. I could see a sign and trade though, to give SD something back.

Schottenheimer will also probably be gone next year, and i cant see LT wanting to learn a new system.

LT is by no means old, but he has taken a pounding and im sure he would like to be on a winning team sometime in his career.

Ill tell you something that would be interesting is if he went to OAK. He could stay relatively close to home in sunny California. They have a huge line, who will have a year together to form some chemistry, and Norv Turner would love to have LT on that team and would utilize him very well. After this year, they should have the cap space since Gannon and probably Rice will be gone, not to mention they could drop all those half-@ssed RBs they have now. That should give them enough $$$ to get LT in there.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:23 am

Oh man I hope LT2 goes to the Bears ;-D . Best back since Walter Payton.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Homeless » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:47 am

Oh that would kill the Chargers. For the sake of the game as a whole, I hope he stays where he is. If he does move, then he should go to Pittsburgh :-b
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby nebula » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:08 am

Looks like he might stay with SD.

"The new deal would be a six-year extension, locking LaDainian up through 2011."

"According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, the team and Tomlinson "all but agreed in principle" to a new package to replace a deal that would have paid Tomlinson $5.5 million in 2004 and $6.5 million in 2005 (probably as a result of escalators that Tomlinson achieved under his rookie deal)."

links:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib ... s12lt.html
Keepers League:
P Manning, J Flacco
LT2, C Portis, T Hightower, S Greene, D Brown
M Colston, Q, D Jax, MSW, B Tate, M Wallace,
J Carlson, D Keller
N Keding
Chi
nebula
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:14 am

Honestly, I think LT stays on SD. I think he's truly one of those rare team players, who puts the team above himself in his own personal priorities. I think its unfortunate as the Charger's management is so deft at ruining the team's chances for a playoff birth, it's hopeless for LT to attempt to get his team a winning season.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:28 am

maddog60 wrote:Honestly, I think LT stays on SD. I think he's truly one of those rare team players, who puts the team above himself in his own personal priorities. I think its unfortunate as the Charger's management is so deft at ruining the team's chances for a playoff birth, it's hopeless for LT to attempt to get his team a winning season.

You may be right.

The San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Chargers and RB LaDainian Tomlinson are nearing a contract extension that would make Tomlinson the highest paid running back in the NFL.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:45 am

maddog60 wrote:Honestly, I think LT stays on SD. I think he's truly one of those rare team players, who puts the team above himself in his own personal priorities. I think its unfortunate as the Charger's management is so deft at ruining the team's chances for a playoff birth, it's hopeless for LT to attempt to get his team a winning season.

I was thinking that as well, he is a real team player. If he is going to stay in SD he would void the contract and get a big payday from them however.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:21 am

Profootballtalk.com wrote:L.T. BENEFITS FROM RIVERS LOG JAM

With first-round pick Philip Rivers not likely to sign with the team any time soon, the Chargers are putting some of their money to use by working out a deal with running back LaDainian Tomlinson, who's poised to become the highest paid running back in the league.

According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, the team and Tomlinson "all but agreed in principle" to a new package to replace a deal that would have paid Tomlinson $5.5 million in 2004 and $6.5 million in 2005 (probably as a result of escalators that Tomlinson achieved under his rookie deal).

The new deal would be a six-year extension, locking LaDainian up through 2011.

Tomlinson was the fifth overall draft pick in 2001, taken by the Chargers after they swung a deal with the Falcons for the top pick in the draft (which Atlanta used to draft Michael Vick).

Although Tomlinson, like Rivers, held out as a rookie, the fact that the trade went down before the picks were exercised made it easier for the Chargers to pay L.T. like the No. 5 guy in the draft. In contrast, the inexplicable post-selection draft-day swap of Manning for Rivers has made it harder to strike a deal, since the fact that the Chargers have the No. 1 slot in the 2004 rookie pool has enabled the Rivers camp to convince itself that he deserves to be paid like the No. 1 overall pick.

Sure, doing the trade after the picks were made ensured that the Chargers would get Rivers. But with the Raiders locked onto Robert Gallery at No. 2 and Denny Green set to take protege Larry Fitzgerald at No. 3, it would've been worth the risk that Rivers was gone.

In fact, the willingness of the Browns to trade up to No. 4 with the Giants in order to snag Sean Taylor could have enabled the Chargers to drop to No. 7, pick up an extra pick or two, and still have a shot at Rivers.

I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Warpigs » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:48 am

Just posted at Yahoo.com... Looks like LT2 may be staying with San Diego after all!!

Chargers: L.T. close to monster contract

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Thursday, August 12, 2004

News
The San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that the Chargers are nearing an agreement on a long-term contract with franchise running back LaDainian Tomlinson that will make him the highest paid running back in the NFL. The deal would keep L.T. in San Diego through 2011 and exceed Clinton Portis' $50.5 million deal.

Views
This is a much-needed public relations move by the Chargers in light of what's going on with the Philip Rivers' negotiations. However, it certainly won't help further those discussions, if they are even occurring, as Rivers' agent likely won't take too kindly to them doling out this kind of loot to someone else.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk