****Green, Alexander, Portis, or McCallister??**** - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

****Green, Alexander, Portis, or McCallister??****

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby goleafsgo96 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:37 pm

Jownzin wrote:I'm a Redskins fan til the day I die, but I think Portis might be a "bust" this year. I don't think he's top 3. I think he had a lot of success due to Denver's system, and wit hthe loss of Jansen to their line, I wouldn't draft him in the first round, and probably nopt the 2nd round. I hope I'm wrong....but..... :-o

I'd have LDT in the top spot, then go Green, Priest, Alexander, Deuce and then Portis

If Portis fell to you in the 2nd round, you wouldnt draft him?! You are absolutely nuts my friend, and i hope you are before me in every draft.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deftdelivery » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:45 pm

3 - Green
4 - Portis
5 - McAllister
6 - SA
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:49 pm

well, thats a bit misleading - if you take into consideration 2002 was an injury riddled year for Green. You also have to consider the Packers shift from a pass heavy attack to a run heavy attack over the last couple yrs too. Starting last yr Green was the catalist of this offense - as opposed to Fahvra before that.

The yds have been there the last few yrs too - there wasnt a major improvement last yr:
2001 - 1981 tot yds
2002 - projected out to 1866 in an injury yr
2003 - 2250 tot yds

This is more of a natural progression than an abberation - especially with the focal point of the offense shifting to him.

The TDs are a bit of an abberation - cannot deny. I do think he will come close to matching them this yr though due - once again - to his increased role in the offense.

I can see an argument being made for SA, but his yards dont quite matchup. Cant argue against his TDs though. I do think its interesting how consistant SA turned out to be on a weekly basis after the knock against him early that he was inconsistant.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Jownzin » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:49 pm

goleafsgo96 wrote:
Jownzin wrote:I'm a Redskins fan til the day I die, but I think Portis might be a "bust" this year. I don't think he's top 3. I think he had a lot of success due to Denver's system, and wit hthe loss of Jansen to their line, I wouldn't draft him in the first round, and probably nopt the 2nd round. I hope I'm wrong....but..... :-o

I'd have LDT in the top spot, then go Green, Priest, Alexander, Deuce and then Portis

If Portis fell to you in the 2nd round, you wouldnt draft him?! You are absolutely nuts my friend, and i hope you are before me in every draft.

Depends how many teams are in the league. I still think he might be a bust. Why are you sold on him? Because he was good last year in Denver and because every publication has him listed high?

He's looked a bit subpar in camp, and wasn't "spectacular" in the game against Denver. Sure he'll be good, but he's running behind a weaker O-line in Washington. That HAS to be a factor to consider.
Jownzin
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby atvjerryrice80 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:03 pm

id take green at 3
atvjerryrice80
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Bowie » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:06 pm

Holmes
LT2
Green

SA
Duece
Portis
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:12 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:well, thats a bit misleading - if you take into consideration 2002 was an injury riddled year for Green. You also have to consider the Packers shift from a pass heavy attack to a run heavy attack over the last couple yrs too. Starting last yr Green was the catalist of this offense - as opposed to Fahvra before that.

The yds have been there the last few yrs too - there wasnt a major improvement last yr:
2001 - 1981 tot yds
2003 - 2250 tot yds

This is more of a natural progression than an abberation - especially with the focal point of the offense shifting to him.

The TDs are a bit of an abberation - cannot deny. I do think he will come close to matching them this yr though due - once again - to his increased role in the offense.

I can see an argument being made for SA, but his yards dont quite matchup. Cant argue against his TDs though. I do think its interesting how consistant SA turned out to be on a weekly basis after the knock against him early that he was inconsistant.

I'm still not sold CB.

Before last year Green averaged 4.4 yds/carry and 11 TDs. This shot up to 5.3 and 20 TD. He is 27 and that was his 4th year as the main man in GB so it seems a little late for a career year. I've got to believe that something changed in the system.

Davenport averaged 5.5 and Fisher 5.0 last year too - so they have a terrific O-line. He should continue to get the yards but 355 carries was a career high by a long margin. He has been susceptible to injury before. I say that he gets good yards but that last year's numbers are a ceiling for him.

As far as the TDs go, I see a good decrease for him. Green stole a lot of Franks' TD last year. I believe that defences will key on Green a lot more this year, especially in the red zone where he had 13 TDs last year, and the Pack will go back to Franks who is so reliable inside the 10.

In all, my conclusion is that Green is a stud but that last year was a career year. The yards may be there but TDs will be down and he is always a risk to get banged up - I know that everybody is a risk to get injured but the Pack is going to ride Green to drive their offence and he has shown in 3 of the past 4 years that he cannot handle that much work.

So I think that it is a stretch to say that he is top 3 for sure. I have noticed that the Green bandwagon has been picking up steam recently too (but it's still behind the Portis bandwagon).

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MEK4178 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:24 pm

Priest
LT
Green

Alexander
Deuce
Portis
MEK4178
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby HuskerNation » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:28 pm

Priest
LT
Green
Duece

Portis
Alexander
Edge
HuskerNation
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:40 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:well, thats a bit misleading - if you take into consideration 2002 was an injury riddled year for Green. You also have to consider the Packers shift from a pass heavy attack to a run heavy attack over the last couple yrs too. Starting last yr Green was the catalist of this offense - as opposed to Fahvra before that.

2001 - 1981 tot yds
2003 - 2250 tot yds

I'm still not sold CB.

Before last year Green averaged 4.4 yds/carry and 11 TDs. This shot up to 5.3 and 20 TD. He is 27 and that was his 4th year as the main man in GB so it seems a little late for a career year. I've got to believe that something changed in the system.

Davenport averaged 5.5 and Fisher 5.0 last year too - so they have a terrific O-line. He should continue to get the yards but 355 carries was a career high by a long margin. He has been susceptible to injury before. I say that he gets good yards but that last year's numbers are a ceiling for him.

As far as the TDs go, I see a good decrease for him. Green stole a lot of Franks' TD last year. I believe that defences will key on Green a lot more this year, especially in the red zone where he had 13 TDs last year, and the Pack will go back to Franks who is so reliable inside the 10.

In all, my conclusion is that Green is a stud but that last year was a career year. The yards may be there but TDs will be down and he is always a risk to get banged up - I know that everybody is a risk to get injured but the Pack is going to ride Green to drive their offence and he has shown in 3 of the past 4 years that he cannot handle that much work.

So I think that it is a stretch to say that he is top 3 for sure. I have noticed that the Green bandwagon has been picking up steam recently too (but it's still behind the Portis bandwagon).

Oh no, it's happening again. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

You can make a case why anyone is a risk in the top 5 and you can make it sound good. Lets just stop debating these and give our rankings because it's been done to death. Holmes is as risky as Green is as risky as LT2 etc etc.

On to KG's money top 5 rankings.

Priest Holmes
Ahman Green
Deuce McAllister
LaDainian Tomlinson
Clinton Portis
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext