ESPN Expert Mock Draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

ESPN Expert Mock Draft

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:45 pm

Ya Scott Engel is one of the few fantasy football writers I like to pay attention to because he knows what hes doing. In the PFW mock draft he far and away had the best team. Here he has the best one also, though the TE could be better.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BGbootha » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:48 pm

Boston????? Do the experts know something i don't??????????
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Teaching is the Greatest Job in the World!!! (during the Summer)

Postby Rodge » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:50 pm

Some picks that I thought were bargains or steals were Travis Henry at #25 and Rod Smith at #101.
"I won't get you sixty, but I'll get you ten sixes."
~Brian Piccolo
Rodge
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:51 pm

Or possibly that "expert" is just a moron. Or the draft was done before the injury.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Exoerts & Runs

Postby DraftDodger » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:36 pm

In "real" drafts I don't see everyone wait until the final rounds for DTs and PKs like we see here in the the experts draft. Many fantasy players try to fill out their starting rosters before selecting quality backups (and of course the autopick leagues lean towards filling out starters too.) Does it make sense to follow the experts' lead, or do you grab a certain position if there's a run on it?

Would you be happy picking the 12th defense in a 12-team league, for example, or would you rather pass on a sleeper pick or two and get a 'proven' defense?

There is the conventional wisdom that says, "Draft TE's, DTs, and PK's last, because they generate the fewest fantasy points, but then there's that nagging doubt that Foster or Garner on your bench is going to be of much help when you're starting Holmes & Dillon.

If an omniscient being promised you that none of your fantasy football players would sustain serious injuries this year, and that all players would perform in general as YOU expected, how would that change your draft strategy? Wouldn't you fill out your starting roster first? Or would you worry about that one bye week at each position and still try to gain quality backups at WR, RB, and QB before drafting the lower scoring positions?

What draft rounds do you generally consider the toughest? Is there any way to make it easier to draft in those rounds?
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:56 pm

Faulk at 8 is questionable as was stated, and also Henry in the 3rd round is a BIG TIME steal if you ask me.

All these QB's in the second round just bother me...why do people do it? Is is that they think they have to have a QB so early because of their name, or is the difference in QB scoring that huge? Personally, I'd be more than happy to land Steve McNair or Chad Pennington in the 6th or 7th round and use my higher picks on good WR's and RB's.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby VHawk15 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:04 pm

goleafsgo96 wrote:
dans wrote:Is Lewis dropping due to legal troubles, or do people really think he is not in the top teir?

definately legal troubles, if he didnt have them hed be top 6 for sure.

I wouldn't be so sure. Before the news broke of Lewis' off the field problems, he was the consensus #7 RB. It seemed like he was always behind Priest, LT, Ahman, Portis, Alexander, and Deuce but before Edge and Ricky.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby goleafsgo96 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:07 pm

VHawk15 wrote:
goleafsgo96 wrote:
dans wrote:Is Lewis dropping due to legal troubles, or do people really think he is not in the top teir?

definately legal troubles, if he didnt have them hed be top 6 for sure.

I wouldn't be so sure. Before the news broke of Lewis' off the field problems, he was the consensus #7 RB. It seemed like he was always behind Priest, LT, Ahman, Portis, Alexander, and Deuce but before Edge and Ricky.

Well if you're talking about #7 then sure, most drafts ive been in hes fallen to at least 8 or 9, behind edge and moss. Those are what i was talknig about.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Exoerts & Runs

Postby MadScott » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:08 pm

DraftDodger wrote:In "real" drafts I don't see everyone wait until the final rounds for DTs and PKs like we see here in the the experts draft. Many fantasy players try to fill out their starting rosters before selecting quality backups (and of course the autopick leagues lean towards filling out starters too.) Does it make sense to follow the experts' lead, or do you grab a certain position if there's a run on it?
I always love these "expert" drafts and all of the "great" work that they do. Hogwash I says. It's like they all get together, make a selection and then pat each other on the back for making that selection, each one trying to "outdig" or "outsleeper" the other. I don't know if I necessarily hop on a "run" of a position, but if it's a critical position, you certainly don't want to miss out on an opportunity.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hawksfan896 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:15 pm

I'm just laughing at that poor a$$hole at #10 who took edge and freddy taylor back-to-back. What is there, bonus points if your guy goes on IR? He'll be having a good time when they're both sitting out with stubbed toes in week 2.
"When I was a kid I thought I was going to be the starting centerfielder for the Boston Red Sox. Life sucks, get a f___ing helmet." --Dennis Leary
hawksfan896
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk