Fantasy Football Ethics Question? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fantasy Football Ethics Question?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Trainer of Dolphins » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:14 am

If it isn't a live draft meeting, just have someone draft for you and pose as you. tell em to act like they made you skip the dinner and your mad so it's a sore subject you dont really want to talk about. They will think your being pissy but still drafting, and you can go get drunk with the missus.

PS --My league had two people who couldn't make the draft because they were gone, but we couldn't find a better date with everyone else. This is a league that has been going for years, and we dont want to kick anyone out because we are all friends and family, so we just drafted according to cheatsheets provided by them, and in the later round we just went by the master sheet that we used to cross off people because this was a draft party at my house
Trainer of Dolphins
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby shortsavage » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:45 pm

An owner could not make my April baseball draft (money league), so he handed his cheat sheet over to a friend and had him draft. From a commissioner’s prospective, I can assure you no one even considered getting upset over the owner calling for backup.

Not condoning the names that have been hurled at your co-worker, I agree that he has made himself the focal point of this dilemma. Hopefully, he is willing to provide a well thought out written argument of why your substitute would spoil the league. In the case that his argument strays distantly from a deductive path (99% chance) you should be in the clear ;-D .

I love making my owner group support their obscure objections with "well thought out written arguments". So far, none of them have stepped up to the challenge, realizing that they were a little off-base with their comments.
shortsavage Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Ethics question

Postby kvnhbbrd » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:09 pm

In the famous words of NIKE, "Just do it"
kvnhbbrd
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby xeifrank » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:05 pm

The guy in your league who is complaining is a jerk. I wouldn't even worry about what he thinks. Do whatever you want to do, and don't even mention anything to him. I have missed plenty of live drafts because of scheduling conflicts, and spend alot of time pre-ranking my players and usually live with whatever the computer drafts for me from that list.

But don't worry about that jerk. Do whatever you want, you aren't cheating by having someone else draft for you. Your friend takes his fantasy football a little too seriously.

vr,

Xeifrank
[b]Author of Free Fantasy Football and Baseball Mock Draft Software[/b]
xeifrank
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Poobah » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:23 pm

That moron obviously doesn't have much experience with either fantasy sports OR the real world, how sad is that? As someone who has commissionered leagues, I only WISH that when the inevitable absence occurs that the absentee owner had found someone to draft for him and made that person as knowledgable about what was wanted as possible... good for you, bad for him, and yeah, if it were the pay league, you'd have to tell your woman to make your excuses at the rehearsal dinner. And yes, I am married, somehow.... ;-D
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby ABC » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:40 pm

I agree. The guys getting all "salty" because you want to send someone else to draft for you is an idiot.

i guess he does not have much faith in his drafting or fantasy football skillz to be worried about someone else drafting for you. I don't care who an owner send to draft for him in our league, because i'm confident and prepared for our draft.

as for the girl friend vs. wife issue.
girlfriend i "might" go
wife i "would NOT go!! ha ha ha ha!!!
ABC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Cool Like Fonzie » Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:07 pm

Unless the guy your sending in your place is John Clayton, that guy should have no problem with whoever you send in your place.

But I do have a question though
Is this the 1st yr of your league?

If not, then I assume you guys draft roughly the same time each year and would have precedence over your girlfriends friends wedding date so you should be able to skip the rehearsal dinner.

(Yeah I know that line of reasoning would never work)
The 3 Time 3 Time 3 Time Champion @ insidetheifl.com
Cool Like Fonzie
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Sixxgunn » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:11 pm

Hey Bootha?How did this turn out?
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby georgiadawg » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:07 pm

this is one of the more interesting threads i've seen in a while. trying to secretly call your picks in via cell phone while attending the rehearsal dinner sounds like it would make a good episode in a sitcom! i look forward to hearing how it turns out.

p.s. that dude at work accusing of cheating is way off base....
georgiadawg
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Warpigs » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:24 pm

bootha,

Like 34Sweetness said, I had a somewhat similar situation to deal with. The cafe members came up with some good overall advice concerning the overlapping and not always mixable worlds of fantasy football and marriage/real life. It's at:

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... ht=dilemma

Overall, it may just take you putting your foot down to the commish (as hard as it might be) and telling him that you won't be at his draft and that it is up to him -- change the date, accept you drafting from a distance, or find a replacement for you in the league. If he's quick to boot you out, then it probably isn't a league for you, anyway.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Previous

Return to Football Talk